JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Lost and found

analogue

Do any of you think that Lost and found could have sold alot better than what it have now if it was given proper promotion and Tell me why was released as a third single and a possible fourth single like Lost and found? I've just always had this gut feeling that if it was promoted properly then it could have easily outsold any 50 Cent album and Will could have won another grammy. It's such a shame cause things started off really well with Switch most people were feelin it and it was a great party track

I'm not saying that the amount of copies Lost and Found have sold is bad but i just think that it could have a done a whole lot better

I hear ya on that. I think that anything can be pushed to sell what 50 has sold, but you have to dump tons of money out there, or somehow generate 50's buzz using controversy. Since Will isn't one for starting crap, he didn't have the controversial aspect. So you say, ok, the only other option would be to lay out tons of money? Not really, instead I believe that when something like Lost and Found moves the units it did by mostly carrying itself in content not singles (minus the hit "Switch" of course), you can say, well that proves how good the album really is. But to answer your question, if all you are concerned about is the bottom line, then yes, they could have easily increased sales with a more focused promotion scheme. But Will has never been one to do that. Only up-and-coming controversial rappers and the older, self-proclaimed greatest get that treatment.

Well "Lost and Found" did pretty well though, it went platinum worldwide and don't forget he actually beat 50 Cent for an American Music Award, it was a success, sure it should've and would've done better with more promo but really it was successful enough, these days to go platinum is a huge accomplishment, it's like going diamond 10 years ago, really there's not many rappers on their 9th album that could go platinum either, I doubt 50'll even have any fans when he gets to his 9th album if he gets there, sooner or later Eminem's gonna shove 50 off his balls, lol, really 50 Cent is a flash in the pan artist, he won't have much more longevity

Edited by bigted

This question will always be asked. If L&F had better promotion would it have sold better? Of course. I mean what Ted said sums it up. However, I don't understand how "Tell Me Why" never got released. FP really wanted that to be the single to the album. He said it on TRL in the UK and he said it was going to be the 3rd single to MTV on the set of "Party Starter". He shouldn't have let Interscope stopped him. To me "Switch" was the little hit that could...I was suprised myself with how well it did. Don't forget "Switch" was certified 3x platinum digital sales. That's pretty awesome as well.

Do any of you think that Lost and found could have sold alot better than what it have now if it was given proper promotion and Tell me why was released as a third single and a possible fourth single like Lost and found? I've just always had this gut feeling that if it was promoted properly then it could have easily outsold any 50 Cent album and Will could have won another grammy. It's such a shame cause things started off really well with Switch most people were feelin it and it was a great party track

I'm not saying that the amount of copies Lost and Found have sold is bad but i just think that it could have a done a whole lot better

Yes, I agree.

Of course it's a lil' disappointing because it really could've sold way more! But u gotta see it the positive way - it sold a lot though.

If he got some real promotion and everything then it would've sold more but more than 50 Cent? Hmm, dunno because many jerks like this guy but I just think this isn't the point right here. The point is that he could've sold more and the most important thing for me was that people get to hear "Tell Me Why" but they didn't because it didn't get released. Now that's what makes me really sad, what still makes me very mad either. I just wanted them so bad to hear that song, that awesome song! After all unfortunately it didn't happen so we gotta learn to forget it somehow, his best years are over with selling albums - just like Michael Jackson... Ok his status is very different right now but just wanted to compare... Don't matter, well, Will will still do some movies, keep earning his money, respect and more fame with this and we gotta learn to enjoy this, be happy wit' it! I know his movies ain't as good as his albums but...it's like that!

I think It did very well.... But I could have done more with proper promotion. I mean, Releasing party sterter 6 months after switch is not a great idea. I'm sure that if Interscope had released PS in June and then Tell me Why in september, Lost&found would have gone Platinum in U.S.... and maybe we would have had another single ( lost&found or Pump ya brakes)... it's a pity but I'm happy that Will gave us a great album

I think it is the most deep Will Smith Cd yet, and I think that he sould have had taken care of it personally when the company didnt. Maybe it would have been one of the top selling cds ever in rap music, maybe even targeting another kind of listeners.

I think It did very well.... But I could have done more with proper promotion. I mean, Releasing party sterter 6 months after switch is not a great idea. I'm sure that if Interscope had released PS in June and then Tell me Why in september, Lost&found would have gone Platinum in U.S.... and maybe we would have had another single ( lost&found or Pump ya brakes)... it's a pity but I'm happy that Will gave us a great album

I absolutely agree!

But the ones who own the album and the friends of the owners who listen to it because the friends show it to them, they know what a great album it is now!

Random ?uestion...u can only do so much as a supporter of an artist. But as hardcore supporters on the internet, did we drop the ball somewhere where we could have helped generate more attention 2 the album (without being annoying and spamming elsewhere)?

I don't think so, but i'm interested in other people's opinions. Besides, it'll breathe some life in2 this topic.