JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Is Will's acting carea a gift and curse?

analogue

Does anyone else feel as though Will's acting carea have been both a gift and a curse? Acting have given him more popularity and expanted his horizans evan more but have also made people forget that FP is also a legendary MC who have paved the way

So does anyone else feel that his acting carea have been a gift and a curse?

Depends on how u look at it...yes and no. It's what he planned even b4 the 1st album dropped. Gettin' away from music waz never the plan...and i don't think it's really the movies that caused that. It's the crappy turn that commerical rap has taken. Let's face it, FP puts out quality, timeless music. Look at the downward spiral that commercial rap has taken...it went from straight Hip-Hop, 2 pop, 2 gangsta/hardcore becoming pop, to watered down, uncreative, gun/drug/sex/bling/cuss infested garbage. There are millions of people who simply don't know what good music is or demand much from the artists they listen 2. I believe that's why his music career has slightly suffered. Why i love the music more than the movies...i don't NOT want the movies. I can't wait til December 15th.

i think its more of a gift. i dont think there would have been a big willie style or any of the albums after that if it wasnt for the movies. i think he was kept in the public eye with fpoba and the movies and that enabled him to bring out another album so many years after code red. Obviously he could have made more albums if he didnt do well in the movies, but i think the movies help in his success with music.

Although i want more music, i prefer Will to have done the movies other than just do music.

i absolutely agree with aj...people also have to realize that will with his acting career will win on the long run. look at ll cool j and beyonce they have proven musically everything and now try to be succesful in hollywood! Will has nothing to proove on a mc level, even if he would have given up music 10 years ago he still would be a legend

Well really I actually realised that my man Max was right all along, really you reach a much more diverse audience with the films than you do with rap music, the majority of those who buy rap records are between the ages of early teens-young adults, but really with movies you reach older audiences as well as younger audiences, really with him acting it actually leads to some people who check out his films to check out his music, it actually extends his rap career, really most rappers who only do music most of the time really have diminishing record sales 'cause a lot of the people who used to listen to them don't really check for albums coming out anymore but with Will doing movies, he automatically has a fanbase that'll check out for his music when it comes out, really acting is a gift more than a curse, Jive Records dropped JJFP after "Code Red" supposedly and if Will never had big success with "Bad Boys" and 'MIB' who knows if a major label would've signed Will ever again? Will might be an independent rapper like basically every rapper from his era except for like LL of course it seems since his acting career helped him somewhat too, they're the only 2 rappers from the '80s era that could still go platinum in the '00s like they did then, LL's most successful album came when he had his sitcom in '96 at its peak, if it wasn't for LL having success in acting Def Jam would've probably dropped him too, really rappers like TI and Luda are starting to follow that blueprint FP and LL paved for them, you need to be successful in film industry to have an extended rap career....

Edited by bigted

Does anyone else feel as though Will's acting carea have been both a gift and a curse? Acting have given him more popularity and expanted his horizans evan more but have also made people forget that FP is also a legendary MC who have paved the way

So does anyone else feel that his acting carea have been a gift and a curse?

Yes, I agree, it is right!

But it's not right for everyone, for example for the fans, no, I mean the real fans who know that he's a rapper, a great musician and not an actor - that's only his 2nd job by the side... =)

People who aren't real fans could forget and even do forget that he's a rapper.

I had this topic with a few of my friends, too! I discussed this with them alot, many many times but some of them just won't understand it! Idiots... (sry)

But just start to look at the whole thing the other way round, if he didn't make movies, if he hadn't done any movies in his whole career then right now we wouldn't see any movies and wouldn't have been able to see any of his old movies or whatever. Now also I think if this really had happened, maybe then he wouldn't have stopped making albums, wouldn't have said something like "The music thing could be in the past..." u know? Maybe then he would've made way more albums at this time but I really don't know... Everything could've happened...