JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will: "I Haven't done much music of late..."

• Admin

fair enough ted....your just saying you want more new music..and it sucks that there isnt any....i know this feeling all to well my friend

my 3 favorite groups..

last "jjfp" album 1999

last souls of mischief album 2000

last pm dawn album 2001

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i'm with Lerkot , dkny, and Julie on this one. we know that Will is always thinkin about music and has somethin up his sleeve even if he's not directly workin on it. and Will always says his movies are busy and hasnt been workin on albums much, but you know what? he always does come out with somethin after a long wait and it's always pretty good. we know will is workin on a collab album and i know it will be good, we just gotta be patient while Will compiles it durin his free time

Edited by WesSyde

I guess I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness but I don't see a problem with what he said. I'd rather him make a great album every 2 or 3 years(like Lost & Found) than be like the rest of the industry releasing garbage every 12 months.

He can't really afford to take a break doing movies because that's where his fame is. It's because of his fame as an actor that he can continue to release albums. If he wasn't the major star that he is in Hollywood do you really think he would be still out just doing rap? Look at LL, Ice Cube and Queen Latifah. They all have longevity and a large part of that is because they took on acting to keep their names out there. If not, they would be reduced to what a lot of old-school rappers are reduced to... recording on indie labels with no real chance of mass exposure.

I'll take the music whenever I can get it from Will. He's 37 now and knows that he can't rap forever. Acting is the venue that will keep his name out there for another 20-30 years(hopefully with an Oscar award or two along the way). Rap isn't going to do that.

Turns out that I didn't even have to post. TopDawg did it for me. :wiggle:

I agree with what Will sayd, and how he feels about the approach he's taking in his career. Sure, we love it when he works on music, and I also love it when he's nominated for an Oscar...and I wanna see him get another Oscar nomination in the near future... specially so I can see jada with a helmet on, and tear that head up again! LOL :lolsign: jk.

got my support all the way...

peace,

cookie

As Will and others have explained countless times, music is really something that's personal. The material that you write and rap about comes from experiences and observations. You also have to have the right motivation in order to put out a good album. This is why so many of today's rappers quite literally suck. They realease a new CD every year and they don't give themselves time to experience new things, so their material is recycled. Trucks, Tims, Throwbacks, Air Forces, Clubs, Ice and repeat. Their motivation is to get another album out and get that money, whereas their motivation should be to create an album as good as or even better than their last.

Moreover, you can't expect one of the biggest draws in box office history ever... Yes... EVER... to give up acting, something that he genuinely likes, so that he can go save hip hop, which has made fun of him, shunned him, and then forgotten about him. Saving hip hop is going to take a lot more than Will at 37. The influence that he used to have, and it was frustratingly meager in the past, is even less today. Right now, I'm content with my Lost and Found, Willenium, Big Willie Style, Code Red... you get the picture...

If only Will had more of a Hip Hop crew to roll with. Jazzy Jeff is fine, but if he had a group of Hip Hop young talent to roll with like reuniting with Taty and Kel spencer at press events, he might gain more attention in the Music Scene.

When people see him doin it himself, it seems like he's just trying to sell his name again in the music scene (b/c most people think hes only an actor).

Like dkny2kx and maxfly have said, at this point Will can't save hip-hop alone, he's only one person and he don't have much influence anymore that he used to but he has a lot of money, so why can't he sign a group of young positive hip-hop artists over to Overbrook? That'd help out his credability by providing a platform for positive artists to display their message, there are a lot out there that Will could sign... He should balance it out and have music artists there, not only movie artists.... That way while Will's off shooting films we'll have other positive artists out there to hold us hip-hop fans over, hopefully this is what this compilation might have in mind...

Edited by bigted