JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

5 Things that killed hip-hop

Hero1

Whenever i'm in record stores...i always put the albums by JJ, FP, Run, DMC, Busta, Lyte, PE, LL, etc, in front of all the Young Dros, Young Jocs, Paul Walls, 50 Cents, and Lil' Scrappys. It makes me much happier 2 see real Hip-Hop in the Hip-Hop section rather than commercial cRap.

Hahahaa. That's awesome. I thought that i was the only one who did that

I agree with it all except for one thing:

"We need to bring it back to 88!". NO WE DON'T! Ultramagnetic didn't say 'we gonna bring it back to '74' "

We all say that we want fun back in rap...well 1988 was during the time when rap WAS fun! JJ+FP, Biz, The Fat Boys, etc. were making us laugh while displaying good skills on the mic. I say we DO need to take it back to 88 because that's when the best selling rappers were unique and did not copy each other or follow trends. Almost everything in that "speech" was not happening in the 80's, and it sounds like we think the rap industry would be better if it did go back in time.

Ultramagnetic didn't say 'we gonna bring it back to '74' because, as KRS-ONE put it at the time, "rap is still a brand new tool". Now we have a reference point to judge the current music with, and we see how the quality of rap (and music in general) has degraded.

Guest lambertj3

I saw it on the okayplayer forum..dont know where the original articles from..

i might now always agree with you but you are so on point go head with yo bad self

• 2 weeks later...

As wack as he is...there's no way 2 blame it all on him. There's 100 emcees and rappers that started killing it years b4 he even came out. But for the most part, u can say that the "things" that killed are all things he practices...but so does nearly anyone who gets an success in Rap these days.

I gotta agree with AJ. 50 is only doing what many rappers have done before him. He's doing whatever he can to make money. It's not about the music or the culture with him. The same can be said of a bunch of cats before him.

Hip-Hop was killed, in my opinion, when Dr. Dre came out with The Chronic. Dr. Dre didn't kill it but soon after that album everybody started copying him and his style of music. The fun and creativity left hip-hop and it's been going downhill ever since. Someone will come up with a new style and then you'll have 50 copycats. The record industry encouraged it, paid radio & TV stations to promote it and the people accepted it.

For it to change, THE INDUSTRY MUST BURN!!!!!

I love that u said that...cuz i've felt the same way. I remember being 13 and thinkin' 2 myself "man, Hip-Hop sucks now...everybody is trying 2 be gangsta or thugged out...nobody is original...everybody is negative," and so on. The Chonic sucked out any creativity and originality that waz there. Gangsta Rap has since died, but it kinda evolved in 2 the current guns/drugs/girls/material things kinda trash that we have been bored by for years.

• Admin

to me 93 was the greatest year in hip hop.. 94 had a few good albums .. 95 a couple more and then it thins out from 96 to 2007.. in 1993 I think I could name 100 great hip hop albums.. from 96-2007 I dont think I could name more than 20