JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

official title of King Tim III song

sonic1988

what is the official artist and title of the King Tim III song?

Also, does anyone know when it came out? All I know is that it was before Sugarhill gang's Rappers Delight.

If you have any other info about this time, let me know I'm doing my midterm for college writing and I'm doing mine on the history of Rap.

Fatback Band was the band who made it and "King Tim III (Personality Jock)" was the full title of the song.

I dont think anyone knows exactly when it came out but from what I have heard it was about a month before Rappers Delight. The third rap track to be ever be released was We Rap More Mellow by The Younger Generation, a.k.a. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, but the version of the same track that came out two weeks after We Rap More Mellow was far more popular and went under the name of Superrappin. Some unecessary trivia...

Got more questions?

1. Early august 1988. 6th August I think.

2. Huh?

3. Well, the whole rap community protested. They werent gonna broadcast when the first rap grammy was given so the rappers choose not to turn up at the show at all, and the rap community hosted its own party instead. It wasnt just Jeff & Will who boycotted the whole grammy thing of course, it was all the nominated rappers and not nominated rappers. It was probably Chuck D who felt that rap shouldnt be treated as less important than any other music category, so I guess he came up with the whole boycott idea.

Edited by Lerkot