JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MUSIQ LIVE!!

I saw Musiq live last nite. It waz great...here's how the nite went (4 those who care)...

Me and my girlfriend got in line an hour b4 the doors opened. We were like the 5th people in line. About a half hour later the line waz wrapping around the corner and i thought 2 myself "gee....i think me and my girlfriend are the only white people here." :roll: We finally get 2 go in as the check IDs (not checking 4 cameras or bootleging devices...i'll keep that in mind 4 future shows at this place). We had 2 walk thru' the bar/grill area 2 get 2 the stage where waz weird. Me and the 1st few people in line got lost as we 1st almost went in2 the VIP section...then later 2 the kitchen. We just kinda laffed and kept looking around and were finally directed thru' the backdoor. After handing the tickets and being taken out the backdoor, i had the strange feeling i waz being ripped off...but that wazn't the case.

We go inside the "theater" and it's a medium sized standing room/stage/bar and we were right next 2 the stage. A local DJ named Sparkles (who waz pretty cute) waz spinning (and occaisionally showing off). Poet Black Ice, who is the 1st poet signed 2 Def Jam and the 1st poet givin a Hip-Hop Quotable in The Source, waz the host 4 the nite. He brought out a group called The Collective feat. Chynah Blac which is kinda like a soul meets aggressive rock kinda group. They were preetty good. Chynah Blac herself can whale on the mic. The band waz dope 2. Then Black Ice came back and recited some stuff which waz real good.

As i waz watching, Will's grandmother's point waz totally proven. In 2 of his peices, he waz reciting some powerful stuff but the cussing laced thru' out it just didn't make him sound as smart as this cat actually waz. Still dope tho'. In between all this, DJ Sparkles waz spinning and 1st this white girl and asian girl came out in these K-Mart rack dresses with looks that matched them. They danced 2 like 2 songs and they just kinda sucked. It waz like "why are they doing this." It just didn't make any sense and their dancing didn't fit the music at all. I know alot of professionaly trained girls that dance and even if i didnt know them, i would have known that these girl were just jokes. The 2nd set came out after The Collective and it waz 2 black girls who were 100 times better. The one waz actually insanely fine and really really good. I don't know what her motivation waz...but she danced right in front of me the whole time. If left me tempted 2 say 2 my girlfriend "i think we should see other people" :roll: JUST PLAYIN.' After that they had some people hand out posters and t-shirts (i made my girlfriend get a poster).

Then the time had come. Musiq's band came out (a keyboard, bass player, guitar player, drummer, DJ, and 2 HUGE background singers. The got everyone hyped...the soul music's littlest man comes running out. The crowd went wild as he went in2 "Soulstar." Musiq had on a red Phillies hat cocked up and 2 the side, trademark shades, a blue Phillies jersey, white kicks and the coolest jeans i'd ever seen. The jeans were crazy with beltloops and tags down by the ankle, a back pocket on the front, pokets upside down on the bag legs. They looked like the biggest malfunction a jean-making machine ever had (i gotta find a pair of these). He later shed the jersey and went on with just a white shirt...later getting rid of that 4 a red wife beater. He performed all the essentials...Halfcrazy, Dontchange, Previouscats, Marygoround, Love, whoknows and finished up with Justfriends (Sunny) and Forthenight. Here performed ALOT more than that...but it waz basically all his singles/videos and the best non-single trax off his albums.

It waz just a good time. No crazy light efx, no background dancers...just good R-N-B/Soul music and a tight vibe. Since the crowd waz 21 and up, there waz just a good positive vibe going on the whole nite. During one of the songs, there waz a few dramatic music bits where Musiq waz doing all these crazy poses which waz hilarious. He talked 2 the crowd a decent bit, did some goofy dances, and gave all the ladies love by reaching out 2 them when they reached 4 him. He didn't take any breaks by letting the band just play or anything...he pushed on singing, sweating, (at one point it actually dripped on me...ha ha) and just rockin' a great show. I knew Musiq waz a talented guy, but seeing him live is believing the hype. He can hit these insane high notes and knows how 2 show the crowd a good time. I got everything i expected and more.

It's kinda crazy that he just started touring with this album (it waz his 1st show 4 his latest album) since it came out in December. But with this touring, it'll boost his album sales at least a lil' bit.

[font="Arial"][color=blue]Sounds like u and Jill had a wonderful tyme AJ. Im glad you both got to see Musiq live, and i know that beautiful voice of his, and touching lyrics could have only brought u two closer to one another...

Thanx 4 sharing this with us..glad it was everything u expected... +more :thumb:

peace,
3cookies [/color][/font]

Yeah, he rocked the glasses....ha ha. He would take them off 2 dry his face off and often had his eyes closed (but who dryes off their face with their eyes open...ha ha). I thought he waz trying 2 cover up the lazy eye but near the end he took them off while talking 2 the audience. It's only lazy once in awhile...ha ha. Who cares about that tho'....he's a modern musical savior and while i've loved his music for years, i realized just how much i've been underestimating him. He's is one a nicest and down 2 earth guys in the industry. I can't say anything bad about Musiq and i hope this tour is successfull resulting in more sales for Soulstar.

He did perform his best songs tho'...he didn't nearly every track on a compilation CD i did by him.