JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

TODD SMITH = AMAZING ALBUM

DevilsJim89

LL Cool J one of my favorite rappers ever recently dropped his 12th album called "Todd Smith". A lot people are trippin' on this album because its more RnB based produection. However I dont think LL has missed a beat. The absolute worst song on this disc is "Control Myself" - I just hate that song. There is pretty much a guest on each track but unlike FP's "Born to Reign" - it doesnt take away from LL's rapping. Songs like "Best Dress", "My Favorite Flavor" and "I've Changed" are just incredible songs. My favorite song on the whole CD though is tough to pick but it's definatly "What You Want" feat. Freeway. I don't listen to Freeway and never heard of him until now but he's decent on the track. I love this track because its the one track on the album (along with It's LL & Santana) that's old-school and classic gritty LL just dropping bombs. Awesome. Another track "We're Gonna Make it" is more of a gospel sounding track and its just amazing with Mary Mary on the hook belting out the vocals. LL says

nothin gonna hold you back

theres no limits

im set to bring truth to rap - not gimmicks

Man listen,

heres the moral to the thesis

y'all cats need jesus

he put your life back together pick up the pieces

word to the masses

i heard God ask us

for less fake rappers

and more real pastors

just wow. I rewinded that track so many times just for those lines. The whole song is moving but those tracks are amazing. Good job LL with this album - similar vien to "Mr. Smith" of '95 and I've been bumpin this album since it leaked online weeks ago but now I wanna see how y'all really feel about it.

LL Cool J one of my favorite rappers ever recently dropped his 12th album called "Todd Smith". A lot people are trippin' on this album because its more RnB based produection. However I dont think LL has missed a beat. The absolute worst song on this disc is "Control Myself" - I just hate that song. There is pretty much a guest on each track but unlike FP's "Born to Reign" - it doesnt take away from LL's rapping. Songs like "Best Dress", "My Favorite Flavor" and "I've Changed" are just incredible songs. My favorite song on the whole CD though is tough to pick but it's definatly "What You Want" feat. Freeway. I don't listen to Freeway and never heard of him until now but he's decent on the track. I love this track because its the one track on the album (along with It's LL & Santana) that's old-school and classic gritty LL just dropping bombs. Awesome. Another track "We're Gonna Make it" is more of a gospel sounding track and its just amazing with Mary Mary on the hook belting out the vocals. LL says

theres no limits

Man listen,

y'all cats need jesus

word to the masses

i heard God ask us

for less fake rappers

and more real pastors

just wow. I rewinded that track so many times just for those lines. The whole song is moving but those tracks are amazing. Good job LL with this album - similar vien to "Mr. Smith" of '95 and I've been bumpin this album since it leaked online weeks ago but now I wanna see how y'all really feel about it.

Those lines are amazing. That is nothin but the truth right there. I am really glad LL put that in his album, cause there are so much negative crap out there right now. Rappers need to realize what they are actually spitting. Thanks for sharing Jim.

When u have dropped so many albums...u gotta try different things when u hit those double digits. I think that album is dope also...check my reiview on it a few pages back. I waz listening 2 it earlier 2day myself.

Too poppish for me!What happend to the LL we used too know?

R.I.P. LL Cool J 1989 :dj: :wickedwisdom: -2002 :blabla: :bat:

I don't know how you could say LL's selling out, I'd say he's one of the realest in the game right now, I like how he does different things on each album he does, and you could see the diverse taste in music that he has with the different flavas he brings on his songs, he shouldn't have to do the same thing all the time for people to feel him, he's a true artist that evolves, it seems that fans don't evolve with the artist since they want the same thing all the time, I mean what's the point of still recording music if you're gonna do the same thing you did 10 years ago? If that's the case then Will should never make anymore albums either and just perform "Summertime" at shows, lol... LL also came out in 1985 not 1989 buddy, that's how much you know about LL, btw did anyone see the new video for "Freeze" that was shown on 106 & Park the other day? Def Jam's really pushing this album, it's good to know they ain't just trying to milk "Control Myself" even though it's in the top 10 on the Billboard charts now...

Edited by bigted

"We're Gonna Make It" is one of the best songs written in years. Lyric 4 lyric, it's on point. 2 say it's "weird" becuz it's not something u believe in is irrelevant.

Those lyrics are probably my favorite on the whole album.

theres no limits

(i've learned over the past few years that if u limit your thinking, u limit your life...i started believeing in more for myself and broke alot of walls down that many people said would never happen)

(commerical rap is all about gimmicks...LL has always put truth and relavant lyrics in his music...regaurdless the phase he waz doing thru')

Man listen,

y'all cats need jesus

(i'll over look the relgious message 4 those who don't believe the same, or get all bent out of shape cuz they don't understand it...alot of people lead boring lives where u can't expect much and get involved in negative things....when u find something positive, i'll chaing the way u think, live, and the actions u take. Imagin how different things would be if those commercial rappers weren't poisoning the minds of their listeners)

word to the masses

i heard God ask us

for less fake rappers

and more real pastors

(there aren't alot of people stepping up, spreading truth, or offering something solid 2 listeners. Hip-Hop waz never meant 2 be that way. Real Hip-Hop will address a problem and solve it, or introduce something new 2 a listener)

Down the Aisle with 112 is one of the best love songs I have ever heard, period. I wasn't particularly impressed when I first listened to the album, but it has grown on me. What You Want is a hot track, although Freeway's verse is a little weak. Overall, it is a good album.

The reason the world is messed up the way it is has to do with man, not God. The message of hope & love is God's message. It is man who takes His Word and twists it to appeal to their agenda(i.e. terrorists, people who bomb abortion clinics and kill pregnant, single women, people who start wars "in the name of God.") If a priest abuses a child, that doesn't mean God's word is invalid, it just means that the priest allowed his sickness to rule over God and His Word.

That was what LL was trying to say in that song. Instead of beefing and talking about guns, money and sex, we ought to instead seek God and fulfill His will for our lives instead chasing after material things.

The U.S. is in the mess that they're in because as a society we worship materialism instead of God. It's the world and its policies that are messed up. It's us. We've got to be better people.

Yeah I think some people might get sensitive towards their beliefs on religion and the God they choose to believe in if they choose so, on that note I'm gonna lock this topic up and if you wanna talk about LL's album start a fresh thread, peace...

Rather than just close the topic so that those who may be offended or even angered by some of the debating...i've deleted the drama...and now we can move on.

Just the other day i saw the "Freeze" video premier. Many people say this is the weakest song on the album...but i think the video came out pretty good and may change some people's minds about the track. The slightly empty neo-soul sound mixed with LL's quick rhymes offers up something different. The video features scenes of a very vunerable LL acting out the scenes. Other than that, it features smokey, cool colored close ups of LL and Lyfe doing their thing. It also has that trendy wide screen look with images in the upper and lower bar. Definitly a good video. Hopefully it dose what "Control Myself" did.