Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MTV's Next 10 Greatest MC's

rcpbball30

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's really sad to see where hip-hop has gone, MTV has become a disgrace, they went from Yo! MTV Raps to this crap?

yeah MTV disgrace ,but that's just what happen now in the hip hop industry ... back in the day - true hip hop =>Yo MTV Raps ... now - i dont how to call that s*** :shrug: => Pimp My Ride and this is it

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

Well Bow Wow's been rapping since he was 5 years old but that don't make him the greatest right? :stickpoke: It's either you got skills or you don't, it don't matter how many years you been rapping or if you got a record deal or not, like KRS once said: "A dope mc is a dope mc, with or without a record deal people could see", if I see any of these wack rappers somewhere I'll battle them, I got over 200 songs written, they can't **** with me, lol

Edited by bigted

Since when does getting famous= having the most skills? Bow Wow was on stage with Snoop Dogg when he was 5 years old so that must make him the G.O.A.T. then if that was the case but it's not, the record executives look for the rapper who raps about ice, pimpin', and thuggin' the most rather than the rapper who got the most versatile flows, stage presence, and the wittiest lyrics, if this was like sports where they measure players by the most skills then Kel Spencer would be platinum and Lil' Wayne would never get a record deal, not the opposite like it is, the rap industry only cares about promoting gimmicks and making money off of it, they don't promote the artists who have the most skills, if Lil' Wayne is considered a rap legend I might as well start listening to country :shakehead:

Edited by bigted

like KRS once said: "A dope mc is a dope mc, with or without a record deal people could see", if I see any of these wack rappers somewhere I'll battle them, I got over 200 songs written, they can't **** with me, lol

Firstly, I knew that KRS quote was coming. It has ever right to fit in this discussion. Secondly, this ain't a diss to you, but in reference to that battle and 200 some songs meaning you can't be F'd with, I'd really like to see that. I really really would.

btw, country may be no better. They go just as "hip hop". They drive dem dang ol' big ol' trucks with them rim thingys, and call they girly's backside a uh, 'honkytonk badokadok'. :lolsign: And I could have a strong opinion about the list, but it's really no reason to make sense of this and accept it, much like the 24/7 stuff we witness on tv. Like I said, I can see why they made the list they did, but it's just not making a believer out of me. It's got me careless as to what MTV thinks, particularly for something like this.

Hip-Hop is a big part of my life, I stay writing and practicing my craft, I just do it for the love of it and getting my thoughts out even if I never make it I could care less about that 'cause that's what I love to do, I'm an mc, I probably spend more time on it than a lot of these so called professionals do just from enjoying the music to coming up with something on my own, if I never get a dime from it I could care less, lol, btw there's an interesting article I found on Davey D's site where there's criticism for MTV's top 10 and saying that LL should be #1 'cause he outlasted everybody, I just don't get why the guy had to put down Ice Cube and Will Smith for though, over 30 million people around the world have bought Will's albums so that means somebody must be wanting to listen to him, Will needs to shove the "L&F" platinum plaque in this writer's face to show that people still listen to him today, Will has stood the test of time and has been consistant even though he never battled anybody in the spotlight although he whooped Smooth B back in the days in Philly, and Ice Cube is one of the truest artists ever if you put him down for not making all of his albums angry like "Amerikka's Most Wanted" then you'll have to put LL down for not making all of his albums like "Mama Said Knock You Out", as an artist you have to grow beyond that and they both do and that's why they're still on top today, they've been just as relevant in the rap game as LL has been over the years, the same class of legends:

http://www.daveyd.com/

MTV News and Sway and the MTV staff are BUGGIN'!!!!

By Big Ced of Industry Co-Sign

everythingbigced.blogspot.com/

I just finished looking at MTV's 5 Greatest MC's and no doubt it will ALWAYS be a hard debate to ever really, truly name 10 greatest MCs . Here is the list MTV has:

(in reverse order)

10. LL Cool J

9. Eminem

8. Ice Cube

7. Big Daddy Kane

6. KRS-One

5. Nas

4. Rakim

3. Notorious B.I.G.

2. Tupac

1. Jay-Z

Now this is gonna spark a debate regardless but, as i have been saying for years, LL Cool J is the greatest MC of ALL TIME! Hands down!

Just to make a valid point, MTV aired a special on LL RIGHT after the program, which says a lot. One, if memory serves correctly, LL Cool J was the first Def Jam artist, PERIOD. And how long has Def Jam been in existence? And think, Public Enemy, The Beastie Boys, Run D.M.C., etc. are considered old school. And besides Run D.M.C., all of those acts came AFTER LL, yet, LL is not labeled an old school artist and is STILL recording, on the same label, no less. Accomplishments comparable to a sports player remaining on the same team throughout his whole career. @#%$, not even Michael Jordan can say that!

Let's put it where it needs to be, LL has outlasted ALL his peers and is still hanging with the newer breed of emcees and is still going platinum, even if it's a quiet platinum. He is and has always been lyrical, his style changes with the times to still be relevant. He is battle-tested, in fact, most would say undefeated (Can-I-Bus gave him a good dent). He is also a movie star, had his own television show and can still go back in the studio and hang with the rest of them! Not even Ice Cube has been able to sustain a rap career while going in front of and in back of the cameras. And Will Smith? Does anyone really want to hear him rap? Not even white kids are checking for him the way they are still checking for James Todd Smith.

His impact and longevity speaks volumes in this world of one hit wonders and flash in the pans. We need to give credit where credit is due. Let's be honest, NONE of the rappers listed in MTV's top ten will or does have the fruitful career LL has. NO ONE. And I know all of Brooklyn will get mad at me for saying this but there is NO WAY Biggie can be considered THE greatest because he realistically only recorded 2 albums while alive (well, 3 considering Life After Death was a double CD). I do agree that he is ONE of the greatest and he is my favorite emcee, but we have to take into consideration that after 2 albums, it is possible that Biggie could have fallen off. Yes, reasonable to think that.

If you look at history, look at Rakim after arguably 2 albums, Nas had a rough spot before Jay got in his ass and brought the fire back. Big Daddy Kane hit skid row after 2 albums, Ice Cube went Hollywood and no one, maybe not even him, wanted to hear Amerikkka's Most (probably because he wasn't/isn't angry anymore). @#%$, even one of the greatest Hip-Hop producers, Dr. Dre, bombed with The Aftermath album! I can go on and on with examples from other artists who aren't listed here either and, I dispute Sway and the MTV staff, for saying that Jay never fell off. He always had a hit or two on each album, but a couple of those middle albums were not classics or even a good album. We live in a time where if you go platimun or you have a radio hit, then the albums are considered good. How wrong that is! Or maybe since these guys ARE at MTV, they have to encounter Jay and wouldn't want to be on his bad side! Well, I have plenty of friends and don't need Jay to be my friend or even LL, I just want to state the facts that LL has outlasted EVERY rapper in the game and depending on the strentgh and look of his latest album, I can't see him stopping unless he wants to.

LL did have a rough patch but when he came back, HE CAME BACK! He may have had, arguably, the GREATEST comeback in Hip-Hop history! Can anyone give me any other examples of someone falling off the way LL did and then came back so strong that he hasn't left again?

Once again, when you have discussions like this, think about the WHOLE picture and that picture can't be snapped or looked at unless LL Cool J is mentioned!!!!

Edited by bigted

It makes sense to make LL #1 or even consider him in there (for the points made). I think at what level he keeps his diversity (the women/tough guy) is the problem for people. LL has like the perfect mix of a mind for Hip Hop. He wanted the chains, the cars, and the girls and all that. And even when he got it, he didn't go overboard. Not only that, but he probably actually owned his stuff instead of borrowing it for a pitiful 4 minute imitation. And then you got that desire in being true to his craft. And he's not even an artist who cusses a lot; it's either a little or not at all. One thing I'll always remember is when VH1 had a special about the Arsenio Hall Show, and Arsenio mentioned how "a lot of people can't be true to themselves and make money, and Lenny Kravitz was doing them both". That apparently reigns true.

I don't think anyone on this site! Could outdo 300 bars!

That list sucks... I mean Kweli is dope, The Game is okay, Kanye's beats really outshine his lyrics but he's good as well... why are TI, 50 Lil Wayne, Beanie in the "Next 10 GREATEST MC's" category? T.I.? He's gotten worse as the years gone by. Cam'Ron had one/two good album IMO. 50 Cent should not be there. He sells, yeah, but he's not going to be one of the greatest MCs. What a joke MTV is.

Edited by kbfprince