JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Cassidy Talks About Recent Conviction

bigted

Cassidy Talks Recent Conviction

By Chris Richburg

Date: 1/31/2006 2:10 pm

Rapper Cassidy is speaking out for the first time since being sentenced to 11 1/2 to 23 months in prison last week, after being found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault.

The rapper was convicted by Common Pleas Judge Jane Cutler Greenspan of being negligent in providing guns and ammunition to assailants that eventually killed Desmond Hawkins, a 22-year-old Philadelphia man.

"While I am pleased that I was cleared of the murder charges, my satisfaction is not long-lasting, because of the death of someone who I considered to be my friend, Des Hawkins. And while I am eager to resume my career as a recording artist, writer and performer, I am also eager to be reunited with my family, friends, and fans," Cassidy said in a statement via his defense attorney, Fortunato Perri. "I too share the important message stated in court by Des's dad, who urged all parents to love their children, and to be there for them. As the father of a young child myself, spending much time on the road and in the studio, away from home, I am relieved that I will soon be home for family and my career."

Cassidy could possibly be out of jail in a few months because of time already served. The rapper has been incarcerated since June 2005.

Despite his current status, Cassidy is looking ahead as he prepares to head back into the studio with producer Swizz Beatz to record a new album.

Swizz said that when Cassidy gets out, they would not "promote this situation as a cocky and violent situation, but as a blessed situation"

"I'd like to first thank radio and all of his fans for their love and support during this time," Swizz said. "Cass will continue to make great music, but in a positive way, educating the youth that violence is never the answer. We'll do the rest of the talking with the music."

Cassidy's record label, Full Surface/J, will release a new single titled "Cassidy (The Anthem)" Feb. 28.

The track, which was not featured on Cassidy's latest album, I'm A Hustla, will also be available as a master ringtone via all carriers Jan. 31, while the digital single will be available for download Feb. 14

well at least he has intentions of cleaning his life up...