JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL vs. Kool Moe Dee

TopDawg14

I have two questions:

1. Was the LL/Kool Moe Dee "beef" the best battle ever(other than the MC Shan/KRS-One battle)?

2. Even though most rap fans say LL won the battle between the two, wasn't Kool Moe Dee's "Let's Go" the hottest battle rap song? I've been listening to it and I just think that even though LL won the overall battle, Moe Dee's "Let's Go" was the best diss song.

I think LL Cool J's and Kool Moe Dee's fued waz the best. There waz never a moment where they truely hated each other or took things 2 a violent level. It waz stictly on wax and everything a Hip-Hop battle should be. Since they were also both very talented on the mic and had a similar vibe, it waz like Nas vs. Jay-Z, LL vs. Canibus, or East Coast vs. West Coast where the fueding styles were totally different, and often the talent waz unbalanced. LL and Moe Dee were on the same level. Who can forget the red kangoo getting parked on, on Kool Moe Dee's album cover...ha ha.

Classic stuff.

Yeah AJ, I agree with you. It was the kind of battle that stayed strictly on wax. I remember Kool Moe Dee being on Video Soul(for those of you still with similac in your breath, Video Soul was the top video show on BET back in the day) with Donnie Simpson and Donnie asked him if he really had beef with LL. Kool Moe Dee said it was just two rappers battling. Donnie asked him if he saw LL would there be any fighting and Moe Dee said no. He had respect for LL and it would be love if the two saw each other.

That is a much different case than most of these rappers now. The battles are too personal and they aren't even talking about each other's skills as an emcee. I heard 50's Piggy Bank and all he talked about was shooting people and taking personal shots at other rapper's personal lives. That's not battling and that's why the Moe Dee/LL battle was so classic.

Yeah that LL/Kool Moe Dee battle was classic, 2 legends battlin' it out on the mic, it gets no better than that, they both did their thing, mcs today should look at that battle as the blueprint to how battles should be, "Jack The Ripper", "Mama Said Knock You Out", "Let's Go", and "How You Like Me Now?" are the greatest battle songs in my opinion.

Edited by bigted