JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

2PAC: ROSE VOL. 2

JumpinJack AJ

The other day when i waz in a record store, i came across the new "2Pac" album "Rose: Vol. 2." It's another installment of his "Rose That Grew From Concrete" series. I know i'll get it at some point becuz it has people like 2Pac, Shock-G, and Yo Yo on it, but i just trying 2 figure out if i should get it now or wait til i find a good deal 4 it online. The art of the new album waz kinda disappointing cuz the original had a slightly artsy vibe. This new one has very boring artwork. It also has explict lyrics...which is wack since 2Pac's poetry didn't have anything explict in it. Another thing that disappoints me is that the only track 2Pac aprears on is with Mephish Bleek...who has no skillz.

If anyone has the album or has heard it, let me know how it is. It's on sale for $9.99 at Circuit City 4 the rest of the week.

Here's a review from CDnow/Amazon...

---

Five years ago, "The Rose That Grew From Concrete Volume 1" was released and met with little fanfare and lackluster sales. The major problem behind the album was it that was simply rappers and other celebrities reciting Tupac's poetry over music or simply as spoken word--apparently the people behind the project thought that the public would embrace such a niche item simply because the man behind the poetry was Tupac Shakur. Not so. There's a reason why an item like this is classified as "niche: The public does not care about poetry. The public especially does not care to hear Danny Glover read poetry. And they sure as hell are not going to pay money for it.

Obviously the producers of Volume 2 have chosen to avoid making the same mistake they made with Volume 1. Instead of simply recruiting celebrities to read poetry, they have brought together a group of rappers and singers together to create songs loosely based on Tupac's poetry. Among those showing up for this volume are artists who worked with Tupac during his lifetime, such as The Outlawz, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Shock G (of Digital Underground) and the Boot Camp Clik, as well as a number of today's 'stars' such as Ludacris, Lyfe Jennings, Talib Kweli and Memphis Bleek.

The main highlight of the disc is the lead-in track, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's "Power of a Smile", which opens the album up with a bang, as they effortesly mix their patented quick-tongue rapping with a sing-song flow over an epic beat by producers Kush and Kato.

Other strong tracks include Tupac-proteges The Outlawz' "When Your Heart Turns Cold", "Where There Is A Will" by the Boot Camp Clik (who recorded the still-unreleased "One Nation" album with Tupac) and the heartfelt "If I Fall" by Dead Prez.

This album is not without fault, though. Ludacris' contribution is the uninentionally hilarious "The Depths Of Solitude", a reminder of the failure of Volume 1, as Ludacris laughably attempts to read to poem with passion. Yo-Yo seems particularly out of place with the club-song (?) "Only 4 The Righteous"--perhaps the concept of the album needed to be explained to her a bit more.

Another problem I have with the album is not with the content of the album, but the misleading cover art and marketing. Sure, I knew what this album was when I purchased it, but many will not. The front and back cover have pictures of Tupac and the album is listed under as an album by "2Pac" everywhere (including this site), yet he only appears on the chorus of one song. Also, the one thing that describes what this album actually is ("Music Inspired By Tupac's Poetry") is cleverly tilted sideways so as it is hard to read. I seriously doubt any of this was a coincidence.

Putting that aside, if you know what you are purchasing I'd advise that you check this album out--just don't expect a new album by 2Pac.

They put Luda and Memp. Bleek on there? They really know how to ruin his legacy! :therain: btw I read that revie these ain't even 2Pac's poems, it's more like peeps just throwin' their own stuff on there and try making money off of 2Pac's name, I ain't buying it, I'll buy some of the Pac albums that I don't have yet instead.

Edited by bigted

To be quite honest, I liked Volume One. Of course some of the poems weren't exactly as entertaining as the rest, but they are a good listen. If anything, I say just stick with "The Rose That Grew From Concrete" poetry book, and leave it at that. What's wrong with reading? Another thing that is a throw off is poems that have already been done on Vol.1.

Yeah, i love the book. I got that when it 1st came out and still pop it open on a regular basis. I think the CD waz okay, but not everything i expected. As a huge 2Pac fan, i'm thinkin' i might get this very soon...even despite that CDnow review. Since it is put 2gether by Afeni, i think it important 2 support the cause.