JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Billboard Charts

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Even though it may get more spins on the radio, people aren't ordinarily gonna buy the album after hearing one single. Release a new single and the sales WILL increase.

you cant release a new single when the current single hasnt run its course.. if you released tell me why radio stations would just play switch and wouldnt bother about tell me why

Even though it may get more spins on the radio, people aren't ordinarily gonna buy the album after hearing one single.  Release a new single and the sales WILL increase.

you cant release a new single when the current single hasnt run its course.. if you released tell me why radio stations would just play switch and wouldnt bother about tell me why

Switch may not have run it's course worldwide... but it has pretty much done so in the US. Regardless of increased radio spins, it's already started it's fall in the charts. It peaked about 3 weeks ago in the US. We have to remember the time delay for singles releases. What is released in the US will take a few weeks to find it's way to other countries. Switch has been on the US charts for about 11 weeks, on the UK charts for 7, and on the Austrailian charts for 8. It just got released in Germany last week. If a new single is released immediately when Switch starts to drop in other countries... you're still not going to see the next release on the charts in those countries for about another 3 weeks to a month. In that case, more time than desired would have passed between the descent of one single, and the ascent of another.

Also, I maintain that Tell Me Why should have no effect on Switch's spins. The two songs are radically different in nature. I also don't think that Switch would ultimately hurt Tell Me Why's spins. There'll have to come a time when Switch starts to lose spins and Tell Me Why should be there to take it's spins immediately rather than working it's way up when Switch has lost most of it's airplay. There is no reason that radio can't fit both singles into their lineups. They've certainly found ways to do it with Jay-Z, Ja Rule, 50, Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Ciara, Omarion, Maria Carey, Nelly and many others.

releasing tell me why right now would be a mistake, milk all out of switch that you can, its still rising think positive ya'll haha

The question is "where is it rising?" It's not rising in the US by any significant measure anymore. All this milking of Switch doesn't seem to be helping album sales either. :speechless:

I definatly see MaxFly's point because its how I've felt the last 2 weeks or so. "Switch" may still be blazing worldwide stations but in the United States (the most important country) its falling and so is the sales for the album. If radio stations can play 2,3 50 Cent/The Game/Eminem/Nelly tracks then why cant they for Will Smith.

"Tell Me Why" has to have a video shot sometime in the near future. The future of the album relies on this single. This is the most important single. I know theres a delay for singles worldwide, but that hasnt stopped other artists from releasing more than one single at time. And the delays should be good since it will further extend the longetivity of this album. Look at LL Cool J, isnt "Hush" still in like the Top 20 over in the UK? And that album was released on August 31, and the single in October/November.

I have a funny feeling though that FP is purposely doing this. I think he pretty much knows what hes doing and "Switch" maybe still has a little juice left in it after all. Its still a worldwide huge hit. Which is always a plus. But compare now, and then. Back in '97, did Big Willie Style have similar numbers after about 5,6 weeks on the charts as "Lost & Found" does now? Hmm..

• Admin

releasing tell me why right now would be a mistake, milk all out of switch that you can, its still rising think positive ya'll haha

The question is "where is it rising?" It's not rising in the US by any significant measure anymore. All this milking of Switch doesn't seem to be helping album sales either. :speechless:

maxfly did you check the mediabase link? they track the amount of spins switch gets.. I'll tell you this now.. look for switch to rise once gain on the billboard hot 100 this week and the next!

last week switch moved up 3 spots on radio play..but dropped 3 spots on the digital music chart..so it stayed at 17.. this week it has gained abt 4 spots on radio so far.. and has actually risen on itunes.. so switch is comin again i tell you!

ive also been lookin at a lot of these charts from radio stations and they all have switch rising .. im lookin forward to this weeks singles charts in a couple of days its gonna be interestin...

Ok, here's the updated top 50. All numbers are in.

LW TW artist / album label power index % change

-- 1 NINE INCH NAILS NOTHING/INTERSCOPE 274,164 --

WITH TEETH

2 2 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJ 195,929 -2%

THE EMANCIPATION OF MIMI

4 3 ROB THOMAS ATLANTIC/ATL G 121,982 -13%

SOMETHING TO BE

6 4 50 CENT SHADY/AFTERMATH/INT 103,211 -7%

THE MASSACRE

-- 5 STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE.. MASTERWORKS/SNY CLASSICAL 100,211 --

SOUNDTRACK

1 6 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN COLUMBIA/CRG 96,846 -52%

DEVILS & DUST

9 7 GWEN STEFANI INTERSCOPE 79,464 +11%

LOVE, ANGEL, MUSIC, BABY

10 8 IL DIVO COLUMBIA/CRG 73,020 +7%

IL DIVO

-- 9 FALL OUT BOY ISLAND/IDJ 70,308 --

FROM UNDER THE CORK TREE

8 10 MIKE JONES WARNER BROS. 63,848 -15%

WHO IS MIKE JONES?

3 11 BOBBY VALENTINO DEF JAM/IDJ 61,661 -66%

BOBBY VALENTINO

11 12 KILLERS ISLAND/IDJ 57,305 +2%

HOT FUSS

13 13 KELLY CLARKSON RCA/RMG 54,477 +12%

BREAKAWAY

-- 14 ELVIS PRESLEY BMG ENTERTAINMENT 49,333 --

ELVIS BY THE PRESLEYS

14 15 CIARA LAFACE/ZLG 49,232 +4%

GOODIES

12 16 GREEN DAY REPRISE 48,956 -6%

AMERICAN IDIOT

15 17 JACK JOHNSON BRUSHFIRE/UNIVERSAL 48,871 +3%

IN BETWEEN DREAMS

7 18 JO DEE MESSINA CURB 46,367 -52%

DELICIOUS SURPRISE

5 19 AMERIE SONY URBAN/COLUMBIA 45,475 -65%

TOUCH

18 20 AKON SRC/UNIVERSAL 41,889 +2%

TROUBLE

16 21 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC V18 EPIC 41,164 -10%

VARIOUS

-- 22 LIMP BIZKIT FLIP/INTERSCOPE 41,123 --

THE UNQUESTIONABLE TRUTH (PT.1)

30 23 RASCAL FLATTS LYRIC STREET 39,801 +46%

FEELS LIKE TODAY

19 24 MUDVAYNE EPIC 37,586 -3%

LOST & FOUND

25 25 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 35,956 +25%

IT'S TIME

26 26 KEITH URBAN CAPITOL NASHVILLE 35,313 +23%

BE HERE

-- 27 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA SONY CLASSICAL 35,057 --

SOUNDTRACK

20 28 BECK INTERSCOPE 34,861 -9%

GUERO

-- 29 RYAN ADAMS & THE CARDINALS LOST HIGHWAY/IDJ 30,873 --

COLD ROSES

27 30 3 DOORS DOWN REPUBLIC/UNIVERSAL 30,728 +10%

SEVENTEEN DAYS

22 31 FRANKIE J COLUMBIA/CRG 30,355 -6%

THE ONE

35 32 JOSS STONE S-CURVE/EMC 29,746 +16%

MIND, BODY & SOUL

-- 33 NIVEA JIVE/ZLG 29,729 --

COMPLICATED

21 34 LARRY THE CABLE GUY WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 29,068 -13%

RIGHT TO BARE ARMS

24 35 WILL SMITH INTERSCOPE 28,850 -9%

LOST & FOUND

31 36 THE GAME AFTERMATH/G-UNIT/INT 28,760 +6%

THE DOCUMENTARY

45 37 GRETCHEN WILSON EPIC/SONY NASHVILLE 27,837 +34%

HERE FOR THE PARTY

43 38 SUGARLAND MCA NASHVILLE 27,703 +32%

TWICE THE SPEED OF LIFE

-- 39 TIM MCGRAW CURB 26,263 --

LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DYING

29 40 LUDACRIS DEF JAM/IDJ 25,924 -6%

THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT

28 41 ONE TWELVE DEF SOUL/IDJ 25,769 -7%

PLEASURE & PAIN

44 42 FANTASIA J RECORDS/RMG 24,527 +18%

FREE YOURSELF

36 43 ANNA NALICK COLUMBIA/CRG 24,464 -4%

WRECK OF THE DAY

39 44 DADDY YANKEE UNIVERSAL MUSIC LATINO 23,828 +4%

BARRIO FINO

50 45 KENNY CHESNEY BNA 23,689 +23%

BE AS YOU ARE

37 46 FAITH EVANS CAPITOL 22,755 -9%

FIRST LADY

33 47 GARBAGE GEFFEN 22,574 -16%

BLEED LIKE ME

34 48 LIFEHOUSE DREAMWORKS 22,389 -13%

LIFEHOUSE

-- 49 KENNY CHESNEY BNA 22,387 --

WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN

32 50 JOHN LEGEND GETTING OUT OUR/COLUMBIA 22,113 -18%

GET LIFTED

Edited by MaxFly

Yea that's right but unfortunately the album isn't doing so well... What to do? Wait? :confused3:

Lets say we wait 3 more weeks for Switch to be totally milked... What are we milking it for? Lost and Found sales?

Yea that's right but unfortunately the album isn't doing so well... What to do? Wait? :confused3:

Lets say we wait 3 more weeks for Switch to be totally milked... What are we milking it for? Lost and Found sales?

I dunno, I mean it sales great and all, Switch is doing good but not the album! Will gotta do somethin' 4 L&F or not?... :confused3:

I dunno, I mean it sales great and all, Switch is doing good but not the album! Will gotta do somethin' 4 L&F or not?...  :confused3:

Good enough i think..Did you really expected more?

Yeah... we actually did expect more. The album is pure fire, and as hard as people may try to deny that, they're only kidding themselves. I'm not talking about the album going 9 times plat like BWS... But at least 1 times plat is reasonable. It still has the chance to go plat... but that's looking more and more unlikely as album sales fall and as Switch is being "milked."

Incidentally... I'm not sure if you guys have looked at those numbers I posted a few posts back. Lost and Found has dropped about 11 spots...

Edited by MaxFly