JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Russell Simmons Returns To Def Jam

bigted

Hip-hop mogul Simmons returns to Def Jam

April 14, 2005

New York - Hip-hop pioneer and entrepreneur Russell Simmons announced his return to the music business on Wednesday, working with the rap label where he made his fortune.

Simmons, who co-founded Def Jam Records two decades ago before selling it in 1999 for $100 million, will head up Russell Simmons Music Group.

The label is a joint venture with Island Def Jam Records, created from the merger of Island Records and Def Jam. Since selling Def Jam, the 47-year-old New Yorker has branched into other areas such as fashion and beverages.

"This is a tremendous blessing to come back to work at this company," Simmons said at a news conference. He admitted that he has not made records for "many, many years."

He joked that he contributed some "shouting" on the new record by Reverend Run, half of the legendary rap duo Run-DMC and one of the artists on his new label.

Simmons, considered a hip-hop pioneer, started Def Jam with Rick Rubin in Rubin's dorm room at New York University in 1984. Def Jam was the original home to some of the first mainstream rap stars: Run-DMC, the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy.

Island Def Jam is part of the Universal Music Group, part of French media conglomerate Vivendi Universal .

http://www.tonight.co.za./index.php?fArticleId=2482163

I don't know when it's comin' out but it's gonna be interesting hearin' Russell Simmons' producing again, with all the great things he does, peeps sometimes sleep on how much of a great producer he is with Rick Rubin, they produced a lot of Run-Dmc's biggest tracks and even a lot of LL's and PE's early stuff as well being the 1st big name producers in hip-hop, let's not forget that JJFP were signed to Rush Management early in their career too, I hope Rev. Run's album gets some good promotion now that he's on Def Jam, this is what hip-hop needs, peeps need to recognize who the real legends are. :poke:

Edited by bigted

Rev. Run coming out wit a solo album. That is so awsome. I'll be the first person in line to get it when it's release :peace: :dancingcool: :angel:

... and that it will be a rock-album!

U sure u aren't talking about DMC's album. DMC's album waz gonna be a fixture of Hip-Hop/R-N-B-Soul/rock/and a dash of folk music. Run is the one who doesn't even listen 2 rock. Back in 2001, he complained that he didn't even listen 2 the rock artists he had on their album.

Nah, here's the article where I read it and they talk about Run...

"Russell Simmons gab gestern die Gründung seines neuen Labels "Russell Simmons Music Group" bekannt. Erstes Signing ist sein Bruder Reverend Run (Run DMC), der im Sommer ein Rock-Album veröffentlichen wird. (...)"

I try to translate it:

"Yesterday Russell Simmons announced the foundation of his new label "Russell Simmons Music Group." The first signing is his brother Reverend Run (Run DMC), who will drop a rock-album in summer. (...)"

I got that from a german site which is called mzee.com and they got it from allhiphop.com! I just read the original article and it goes like this:

This morning (April 13th) Russell Simmons formally announced his latest venture, Russell Simmons Music Group, and revealed that he’s signed his brother Reverend Run of the seminal group Run DMC.

In addition to Run’s rock album, Simmons has also pulled R&B group Buddafly into his latest venture.

The new imprint will be distributed by Island Def Jam Music Group, a company that Simmons founded in 1984 with then partner Rick Rubin. Simmons later sold the label in 1999 for over $100 million dollars.

Well the distinct lack of DMC on Crown Royal pretty much it a Rev Run solo album.

I liked Crown Royal tho even though it didn't get great responses. I look forward to his solo effort.

... and that it will be a rock-album!

U sure u aren't talking about DMC's album. DMC's album waz gonna be a fixture of Hip-Hop/R-N-B-Soul/rock/and a dash of folk music. Run is the one who doesn't even listen 2 rock. Back in 2001, he complained that he didn't even listen 2 the rock artists he had on their album.

I always thought it was DMC who was against the whole rock thing, hence the reason he didn't appear on Crown Royal to much cos he wasn't feeling the tunes Jay and Run were putting together.

Maybe im wrong.

That's really weird that Run would do a rock influenced album. He's the one who listens 2 Hip-Hop and dosen't even listen 2 the guest artists on Crown Royal. DMC's solo album waz called Thugs, Checks, + Rock + Roll....with the Hip-Hop/R-N-B/Soul/Rock/Folk mix. The reason DMC wazn't on Crown Royal much waz becuz he lost some of his voice. He can't rock the mic as aggressivly as he used 2. The fellas were just on 2 different pages. The next Run-DMC album waz supposed 2 be mostly straight Hip-Hop and the guys were gonna merge their styles so DMC could participate equally. The next Run-DMC album waz gonna be huge, it's a shame things happened the way they did.

R.I.P. JMJ

Well no matter what Rev. Run decides to do on this album, it'll be hot, hopefully a lot of peeps support the legend, it's a shame that JMJ is no longer with us, so we can't have another Run-Dmc album. Now that Russell Simmons is back on Def Jam he'll sign some better artists to revitalize the label.