JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

chrous

Mike

It's not an album full of catchy hooks, but that doesn't mean the hooks aren't good. The most catchy hooks are usually simple easily memorized rhymes, or phrases... i.e

Boom! shake shake shake the room

Tick, tick, tick, tick... Boom!

Getting jiggy wit it, nana nana nanana

nana nana nana

Getting jiggy wit it, nana nana nanana

nana nana nana

Generally, the longer and more complex a hook is to a certain degree, the less catchy it is.

However, he had something to say on the album so I'm guessing he didn't want to overshadow that message by forcing the incorporation of simple hooks at the expense of taking away from the message. The hooks on this album are generally pretty complex for choruses. I can't imagine, Ms. Holy Roller, Loretta, Could You Love Me, Tell Me Why, or Scary Story with simpler hooks. The more party type stuff... Party Starter, Switch, Coming to the Stage and If You Can't Dance have more of the sing along tunes. I'm def feeling the serious content though. Lol, I don't know why anyone would want to sing along with Loretta, Ms. Holy Roller, or Could You Love Me anyway...

Edited by MaxFly