JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

i gotta question i need to ask somebody

ok this is gonna be a dumb question but im gonna ask it anyway coz i havnt a clue about computers but a lot of ppl here know there stuff.

Theres a lot of stuff being put up on the site thats really cool and i wanna download it, only bcoz they are big files it takes hours to do on a 56k modem. I have an internal modem and my question is, is there anyway u can buy an external modem thats faster to use while u still have the internal one. I dont know how u get better modems on your comp but i assume a computer guy comes out and installs it. I kinda dont wanna do this coz i dont want him to delete all the important stuff i have on here.

basically im sick of having a slow comouter and i wanna speed it up anyway possible. Anyone got ideas?

Guest Guest_VIPA

well..You're going to need to step up your Internet package.

Go with something like cable, or DSL. if you go with dial Up, no modem you buy will give you much of a change.

Hey Julie, I know how you feel about having a 56k modem - it sucks. Appart from upgrading to broadband there's not a huge amount you can do.

However I use a program called 'Download Accelerator Plus" which allows your to pause and resume downloads. So for instance if you wanted to download one of Max's awesome 20+mb videos from Typhoon's excellent webspaceyou could do it over a period of days.

The link is here, it's free by the way... http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?q...plus&tg=dl-2001

Click the top program :thumb: hope it helps

Julie, what internet provider are you using at the mo. ntl, BT, AOL, etc

Each of these companies do a broadband service nowadays that is very likely to be not much more than you a paying for your dial-up 56k connection now.

I was on NTLWorld dialup and mved up to Broadband 150k. Its great cos you can be online weneva and the phone can still be used. it costs us £17.99 a month but considering we were paying £10 a month for a dial-up its definately worth the extra money.

Have a think about it

hey thanx for the help guys, im downloading the accelerator plus now, thats gonna help a lot coz at least i can keep downloading it over time. Im on freeserve so i will look into getting broadband, i think if its about £18 its only a bit more than what im paying now, so i dont mind paying the extra for the extra speed.

thanx again!!! :thumb: