JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will The Best Lyricist!

• Members

Now heres a thing thats been pondering on ma mind for a while now. Listen to wills lyrics mad me realise summat. U knw hoe Tupac used to like tell a WHOLE long ass story in his tracks, well Wills the same.

Listein to his tracks closely you get all these like little words that make a difference to the track big time!! for example:

A cold sweat, frozen with a lump in my chest

I heard his question, couldn't bring my lips to say "Yes" to him

That night at my son's side, he cried & prayed

For the one's who died in the World Trade

His palms to God, seeds and qualms with God

He just kept on pressin' me, wanna know why

Then one week later our bombs were dropped

We seein' them on CNN, they just won't stop

The infrared images of brutal attack

He said, "Daddy now we killin' em back"; (right, right)

He said, "Daddy now we killin' em back"; (right, right)

Now when I heard that last bit, it actually made me get a lump in ma throat!!

The tracks on Lost and Found are brilliat extremely clever and WOW the beats.

I dont undertand why Will aint more Mainstream, its like when u switch on a music channell Will is only seen for a bit when his track is released. After that its like,"Wills nothin, he dont swear what kinda of rapper is that!!?"

Ive been listenin to will albums since 96, and tupac since 97. The only thing that differs in their rap is the pac swears and that other stuff. Other than that, Wills track tell the story in the exact same way Will does but he dont get reconised coz he dont swear!!

Well:

"I guess they think Will ain't hard enough

Maybe I should just have a shoot out

Run up in the bank, bustin', grabbin' all the loot out

Whoop somebody ass, taking my boot out

Right on TV so ya'll can see me

Just ignorant, attacking, actin' rough

I mean, then will I be black enough

Oh wait maybe I'll jack a truck

Full of cigarettes, guns & drugs & stuff"

Says it all!!

NICE ONE WILL :afro:

Yeah, I've always loved Will's lyrics... I've never been exposed to anything that even comes remotely close to touching them. It's partly my fault because I haven't really tried to expose myself to much else yet. Give me a few months and I will investigate the guys that are frequently given props on this board :thumb:

• Members

both are my favorites

Will is a good Lyricist,but Tupac is the best songwriter who ever lived

hmmm the most important thing that connect the both is that they are REAL...

you feel that it comes from heart and that they do it for RAP and not for money

for example pacs album Strictly 4 my ni**az.......that is a classic

imagine this album would be produced from the best producers.....it would sell 30 millions.......

all these suckers eminem,fifty etc. only sell because of their beats.....so well

Will can offer lyrics just like Pac.......but i have to say eminem is a very good songwriter too but he is not real....thats a shame....he could do much more for hip hop but he became a money hungry bit**

post-3-1112743884.jpg

One of my favorite... You find yourself wishing the track would never end

I was born to reign

Point blank my name

To be etched in stone

My destiny pre-ordained

Tryin' to live righteous

Fightin' for life; 'tis my life

And that's why I go light on my vices

Tightening the vices of truth on the ruthless

Is rhyme and the crime is they minds is just useless

The path to the poison

The genesis of the genecide

You and your boys tryin' to decide

What to write, but your pen is a sword

And the blade has been forged

Young minds getting gorged

States have been altered by liquor by weed

And then hate gets exalted as art falls to greed

Choices is made as the voices is laid

On the track, contract

Your soul's the way you sold your rage

Did you see his new Benz?

But you're mic a syringe

Now you're proud of your binge

Got alot of new friends

Got alot of new ends

Bought a house up in the hills

Frontin' shouts to the pen

Giving false accounts of your accounts' amounts

Amounts to fan treason

Stands to reason

Since your inception, laced with deception

And bred false affection, it must perish

From my terrace

I see the fire burnin' the streets

But I won't shield my eyes to the heat

Born to reign

People underestimate Will as an emcee. He's definatly one of the best rappers ever to grasp a mic. The reason why people don't take him seriously is because of the Columbia era. They totally made people forget Will was the Fresh Prince of Philly and had five albums before signing in '97. They merged his movies and music careers together which may have seemed like a good idea at the time (for sales i guess) but in the long run it left people without knowledge. Columbia never released any decent tracks as singles. "Just the Two of Us' was probably the best single ever released simply because it was actually a deep song about his son Trey. But songs like "Men In Black", "Black Suits Comin", "1000 kisses", and "Freakin It" just didn't cut it. Singles dont always mean party songs. "Tell Me Why" must be released as a 2nd single to destroy the Columbia image. If you listen to tracks like "Shadow Dreams", "The Rain", "Caught in the Middle" to "Born to Reign"..etc. These songs prove how deep and dope of a songwriter/story writer the Fresh Prince is.

When it comes to lyricism FP is in the same class as KRS, LL, Chuck D, Slick Rick, and Pac(even though he's in a class all himself) with different styles, the lyrics are really deep and the flows are incredible, he's arguably the most versatile mc too, he could do a party tracks, conscious reality tracks, battle tracks, and passion tracks all to perfection, you could close your eyes and see the story that he's doing on his songs, his consistantly to do it album after album is incredible too, most rappers only make one or 2 solid albums, but basically every album he's done has been strong("Born To Reign" was more of an album he just did with his Columbia contract expiring and his heart wasn't fully into it, but it'd be a respectful release for most 'cause there are a couple of strong storytellin' tracks like "Mama Knows" and "Block Party"). FP and Slick Rick took Run-Dmc's fun and humorous storytellin' to another level in the late '80s with He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper and The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick respectively, basically this storytellin' art has been dead among new rappers out now when it's hard to tell what their songs are about, at least the ones on the radio, since Nas' songs don't even get airplay, look like Bow Wow's coming along though possibly but that remains to be seen as far as young mcs are concerned, I'm hoping that someone like me who has a passion for the game could get a chance too, but FP will stay around in this game on top as long as he wants to do it and this album proves that.

Edited by bigted

Yeah, FP is always underestimated when it comes 2 lyrics. His mainstream success and comedy are often the reason, but he's always had lyrics that were no less than above average...but usually over the top dope. That's what makes him my favorite artists. U can have a good beat, but if u aren't speaking my language and talking about stuff i can relate 2, then i'll lose interest real quick.

• Members

As much as I like Will, it is too hard for me to call him the best storyteller in rap. Without a doubt in my mind, that title goes to the infamous MC Ricky D. aka Slick Rick. That man perfected "The Art of Storytelling." I beg you to just sit and listen to the singles "La Di Da Di" and "The Show." Then take a listen to the classic "The Great Adventures of Slick Rick." Storytelling in its finest form. :werd:

:werd: I don't think Will is the best ever. There are some ppl I would put b4 Will like Slick Rick and Grand Master Flash. But Will would still rank high in my list of best lyricist.

As much as I like Will, it is too hard for me to call him the best storyteller in rap. Without a doubt in my mind, that title goes to the infamous MC Ricky D. aka Slick Rick. That man perfected "The Art of Storytelling." I beg you to just sit and listen to the singles "La Di Da Di" and "The Show." Then take a listen to the classic "The Great Adventures of Slick Rick." Storytelling in its finest form. :werd:

slick rick can tell a story like no other

• Members

:werd:  I don't think Will is the best ever. There are some ppl I would put b4 Will like Slick Rick  and Grand Master Flash. But Will would still rank high in my list of best lyricist.

When you say Grandmaster Flash, I think you mean to say Melle Mel. Flash was the DJ and Melle Mel was the lyricist. Melle Mel was one of the top 5 best.

If you combined Melle Mel's lyrical flow, Rakim's cadence, Slick Rick's storytelling, Biz Markie's humor, and Tupac's "realness," you would have the ultimate emcee. :thumb:

(I can't think of a better word than realness)

Edited by EBrew

• Admin

I always envied how ya’ll rock wit Dre & the Chronic

The way that Tupac, Biggie, 50 and Jigga got it

A lot like L.L., Chuck D, Slick & Dougie

I think ya’ll love me, but ya’ll place other rappers above me

& I don’t know if you feel my flow

& be at my show & you’ll see where I should go

On the charts of rhyme arts & thoughts in rap form

Damnit, I expanded the platform

you may be a dope lyricist a dope freestyler have mad skillz..but can you release a dope album? of the 9 albums will has released i'd rate 8 of them as very dope.. he's probably released abt 3 hip hop classics as well..and that puts him as one of the greatest of all time in my book :werd:

Slick Rick is the James Brown(he did a lot of storytelling in his music too, blueprinting the foundation of hip-hop) of hip-hop 'cause everybody samples him, even FP samples Slick Rick and James Brown as well, give respect where respect's due, and as much as we all like Pac we have to realise that it was cats like Slick Rick, JJFP, and NWA that got him into rapping, it was such a great era in hip-hop though when JJFP came out with everyone having their own styles but they definately held their own by winning the 1st rap grammy and having a lot of cred as well, Chuck D was proud that JJFP won the grammy for hip-hop(that's the creator of hip-hop's greatest album sayin' that so props could get no better than that, that "It Takes A Nation Of Millions..." album could be turned into a movie, well actually "Do The Right Thing" actually symbolized a lot of that album's themes dealing racism and the struggles of reality ), and FP's actually as strong now as he was then, he really took it back to the essence on this album.

Edited by bigted

• Members

as much as i love will n his music n as much thats im a tugh fan of him i gotta say that Nas have a lot of better lyrcis then him...but will's lyrics is still great is just that nas is a whole aother story...