JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NEW HITCH REVIEW ANNNNDDD....

MooseKnuckles

and its my 100th post..lol..but heres the review:

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and that means in addition to a big advertising push for meaningless pieces of cardboard known as greetings cards, it’s time to start shipping out romantic comedies. Traditionally, this has been a time of year dominated by Jennifer Lopez. Now everyone hates her, so room has been made for others to slip in. Others like Deborah Messing or in this case, Will Smith.

Taking a break from battling CGI creatures in summer blockbusters, Smith stars in Hitch as Alexander Hitchins: date consultant and all around pick-up expert. Think of Alex like a poor man’s Alfie, if Alfie ever had the wit to use his powers over women for personal profit beyond the obvious acquisition of trophy p****. Alex has turned his skills into a profession, and helps hopeless men get the girls of their dreams by giving them a tune-up. Known in secret only as “The Date Doctor”, he works exclusively off referrals and does his best to stay firmly off the public’s radar.

Hitch’s latest case is Albert (Kevin James), an extremely fat accountant in love with his celebrity client, Allegra Cole (Amber Valetta). Other than an incident in which he lent her a pen, for the most part Allegra doesn’t know Albert exists. So Albert hires Hitch to turn him from a fat, disgusting, slob into a dateable commodity that might get the attention of a super-celebrity. Hitch has his work cut out for him. Kevin James has a real talent for being well, fat, and some of the film’s funniest moments come simply from James’s jiggly dance breaks. Smith and James have decent chemistry together, surprising when you consider that there may not be two people on the planet who have less in common.

Not content to focus on Albert’s dating conundrum, Hitch develops a second storyline in parallel as Alex meets a girl of his own, and comes somewhere near falling in love. Alex, as just about everyone in a romance movie seems to be, is afraid of getting hurt and long ago swore off long-term relationships. But Sara cuts through his layer of cool, turning him into something of a gibbering idiot. It’s a unique experience for the master of love as “The Date Doctor” finds himself smitten and unable to win her affections. Eva Mendes is pretty capable as a foil for Will’s little boy antics, and it’s nice to see her playing an upwardly mobile professional for a change instead of another street racing hoochie or ghetto hottie.

As things often do, both Albert and Hitch’s plans turn to disaster. The movie picks up its pace as they scramble around trying to scrape their dignity off the ground, and Albert has a great scene in which he battles a particularly cocky magazine stand. Hitch loses a bit more of his smooth exterior, though not all of it. Playing it cool comes naturally to Smith and I sincerely doubt he could stop it if he tried. Be glad Kevin James is a train wreck. He provides enough balance to keep us from wishing death on the overly perfect Alex Hitch.

In some ways, Hitch has the feel of an old Cary Grant movie, complete with all the suave dialogue and sweeping moments people came to expect from the romantic desk of Mr. Grant. By today’s standards, a lot of that is now a little cheesy. Though we accept it in older movies, in modern films that kind of discourse can sound somewhat coerced. Hitch does its best to update that sort of romance movie dynamic but can’t shake the slightly artificial feeling, no matter how much Will Smith turns up the charm. Smith by the way is at his best when he’s just spouting off. The film’s more heavily scripted lines of conversation seem to hamper him; he always appears more comfortable when he’s just riffing on something. Maybe the man needs to get into improv. It couldn’t hurt.

Still, Hitch is infinitely preferable to rooting for Jennifer Lopez to find love with her feather duster again or watching Meg Ryan pretend not to age. It’s easy to enjoy and deserves some credit for not battering the audience over the head with thick, gooey love moments. Instead, it goes for fun verbal sparring and goofy slapstick to tell its sappy story. It certainly doesn’t have an edge, but who wants that in a Valentine’s Day date movie anyway? Women will love it and men will find solace in a romance story told from a male perspective spiced with plenty of physical comedy. God help me, I think I even liked the throwback Fresh Prince dance party tacked on right before the closing credits. Made me feel like breaking out my Jams and pretending I was DJ Jazz Jeff. Hitch is a little uneven and cutesy but not so much that it isn’t still moderately acceptable. Had it taken a harder, direr approach, akin to last year’s downbeat remake of Alfie, it might have accomplished something more noteworthy—but then it also probably wouldn’t make any money.

Edited by MooseKnuckles

ANOTHER GOOD REVIEW;

Will Smith films are normally good tidings. They won’t be award winners but you know you’ll have a good time. However, when a Will Smith movie is released in February and we all know the first two months of the year are dumping grounds for crap films, Will Smith or not you tend to set your expectations low. Low Expectations or not, HITCH is a very by the numbers romantic comedy that rises above it’s mundane plot line thanks to engaging performances by Will Smith and Kevin James.

Alex ‘Hitch’ Hitchens (Smith) is New York City’s “date doctor”. For a small feel he’ll help you woo a woman in just three dates. He only works by referral and when his latest case Albert (James) falls in love with tycoon heiress Allegra Cole (Amber Valletta), Hitch must work overtime to help the awkward accountant obtain true love. But what would a film be if there wasn’t some peril for our hero. One night Hitch is at a bar and eyes the very attractive but very unobtainable Sara Melas (Eva Mendes), a gossip columnist for a local rag. Of course the fall in love and through a typical misunderstanding their worlds fall apart only to get back together again in the end. It is a romantic comedy after all.

As always Will Smith is enjoyable to watch. Right after Hitch meets Sara for the first time and comes on to her, my wife turned to me and said, “I think I’m a little in love with him after that.” That’s how charming Will Smith is in this film. As charming as Smith is Kevin James is funny. His clumsy loser Albert is adorable and funny. He’s the embodiment of all of us. Clumsy, awkward, nervous around the person he has a crush on and sweet, you’re rooting for Albert because you know he’s the guy that deserves the unobtainable girl. This could be the film that helps launch James into films and away from T.V.

Director Andy Tennant continues his saccharine sweet hold on filmmaking. Following his moderate success with EVER AFTER, ANNA AND THE KING and SWEET HOME ALABAMA, HITCH should be a huge success for him. His style isn’t flashy and he tends to stay away from the overly sentimental tear at your heart strings shots, but Tennant is able to get the emotion he’s looking for without manipulating the audience.

HITCH won’t win any awards but it’s going for that audience. It will be the perfect Valentine’s Day movie for couples. Between Smith’s charm and James’ likeability, HITCH will do solidly and should be the first 100 million grosser of 2005.

Rating: 3.75/5