JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ANY PERFORMERS IN THE HOUSE?!?

JumpinJack AJ

I know Da Brakes performs from tyme 2 tyme and in the past we've had other emcees, singers, or actors post on various JJ+FP/WS boards. I have a show going up this weekend and it made me wonder how many other performers visit this board, what they do, their views on an audience, and what kinda things they do 2 prepare 4 performances.

This week i've been very busy with rehearsals and taking somethings in2 my own hands when it comes 2 the tech side of my show, costuming, and adding flava 2 the show. We are opening up a play called The Skin of Our Teeth which is a 3-Act show about how the human race overcomes struggle. At the very end of last week, i went 2 a radio station with 2 of my cast members (and friends) 2 record voice overs 4 a radio advertisement airing on our local Hip-Hop/R-N-B station (which is kinda funny since i don't think it'll be being heard by the right audience. It's apparently airing on other stations tho.' 2day i had 2 meet with the local news paper for a photo shoot and interviews. Alot of places i go 2 have posters 4 the show up as well.

The rest of the week i've requested off work so i can keep working with the script and polishing my part up. I also try 2 keep a small workout going 2 keep my body active in hopes of keeping it releaxed when the show is going on. I just can't wait 2 get out in front of an audience cuz that's where all the magic happens.

When i focused on music more, i used 2 perform where i knew there would be an open mic. I would just do a very laidback song or 2 with no real preperation. However, doing music is usually much more fun 2 do in front of people.

Anyways, let me hear from whoever else who is a performer. I'm just interested in hearing what other artistic people here do and their experiences. If there is a reply or 2 or an interest in this topic, i'll share some amusing stories.

If u are an emcee, singer, actor, or dancer...let it be known.

hey cool, i didnt know u did all that stuff, i knew u did a bit of acting but that was all.

Me and Kimmie and another friend Linzi have a dance group called vivacious (Tim thinks thats a dumb name but it means happy and lively lol).

It started a few years back when we were just messing around at Kims house and started to learn the dance to the moulin rouge by christina etc. We decided to make a full dance just bcoz it was quite fun. It turned out quite well so we then decided to get costumes (oh dear) and get Kims mum to video record it.

We enjoyed it so much we learnt other dances and Kims mum got us involved with performing for charities. They were little at first then they got bigger and we started performing infront of a few hundred ppl. i love performing in front of an audience, i used to be quite shy but im glad that changed. Bascially to prepare i practise so much i cant possibly go wrong and so i can relax a bit more while performing.

We havnt performed much in the past 2 years bcoz ive been busy with work and college and the others have been busy to, but we did 1 gig in the summer which seemed to go well. We performed the moulin rouge, Liberty x- just a little ( British group), Britney - slave for you and Sharkira - whenever wherever. and heres some pics to prove it yey!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQBHAzYU...486990520609712

Im on the right of the screen looking quite scared lol.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQACAzcUN7J...F48I!rMwGUR!

on this 1, im not normally that white, its the way the sun is. Plus its in my eyes, i dont actually have a squint. Come to think of it thats a rubbish picture why am i putting it up.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQAXAzgUdrI...486990529501885

this is a great action shot of the moulin rouge, i obviously enjoyed it as u can tell by the huge grin on my face lol. I chose a picture that didnt show my costume off too much haha, coz its not suitable for children.

OMG i talk about myself far too much. anyways good luck at your performace AJ!!

I used to enjoy acting at school and still do a little in some of my film productions. (I'm a film student you see)

Not confident in performing in front of big crowds tho.

My sis however is in a band and performed in front of 3000 people before, so i guess it doesn't run in the family.

I have a friend who is fine in front of a crowd but she can't sing in front of people. We kinda work as a team kinda often so i'm gonna try 2 get her in2 a show where she's gonna sing. I used 2 never singer, but i've learned alot and there are alot of things i can sing now and i do it all the time. She has a better voice than i have and she's scared 2 death. :roll: