JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Dope Talib Kweli MSN Chat with fans

bigted

I found this over at talibkweli.com

Talib Kweli

Working hard from 9 to 5 everyday but you’re thinking there has got to be more to life? Check out Talib Kweli’s ode to hard workers everywhere in his new video “I Try” (featuring Mary J. Blige) and meet this artist as he talks with fans about his new CD “This Beautiful Struggle.”

©MSN Live. Edited for clarity.

May not be copied or reprinted without permission.

Originally Webcast November 17, 2004

Digital Dish Diva says:

Welcome to MSN Live. This afternoon we are pleased to welcome recording artist Talib Kweli to MSN Live. Talib's latest album is "The Beautiful Struggle."

Talib Kweli says:

Hi y'all! How ya doin? Thanks for participating.

ceasar1096 in Onstage_1 asks:

What is your booklist? Your rhymes show you must read a lot.

QuestAries4 in Onstage_1 asks:

What authors do you read?

Talib Kweli says:

I don't read as much as I would like to. But nowadays I find myself reading the books your average business traveler would read like "Angels and Demons" and "The Alchemist."

KlvnBrks in Onstage_1 asks:

What was the premise for the "I Try" video?

Talib Kweli says:

That this kid loves hip hop so much and he wants to find his way in hip hop. It's about his struggle and the kid that is the main character ends up being the engineer for the session of the song.

Tehnic_Natural in Onstage_1 asks:

Talib how are u brother? I am From Romania and I like your music. Man is really good!!!

Talib Kweli says:

Thank you.

quintillions in Onstage_1 asks:

What inspired the title of your album?

Talib Kweli says:

It was something Mos Def used to say a lot, "You can't appreciate beautify unless you've been through some sort of struggle."

roltrane in Onstage_1 asks:

This is the first work without Mos Def. Is this because he was busy with his own new album?

Talib Kweli says:

You can look for new Blackstar stuff on my new mix tape.

ahahahahaahahah in Onstage_1 asks:

What are some tips you can give an aspiring artist like myself to improve his lyric-writing ability?

Talib Kweli says:

Pay attention to all forms of hip hop and get to as many live shows as possible.

A while back on MTV, before your tour, the Beasties were asked what artist they currently dug, the mentioned you. Who are you keeping on eye on as another artist?

Talib Kweli says:

Jean Grae, Wordsworth, Ghost Face, Ceelo and De Le Soul has a great new album out.

aLgOrItHmz in Onstage_1 asks:

What's good Talib? Man I like your style, ever since I picked up you album reflection internally I've been hooked. What inspired you on this album.?

Talib Kweli says:

The music I picked and the city I live in are my biggest inspirations on this album.

Children, love are themes you always talk about. How do you balance life on the road with having children?

Talib Kweli says:

I just try as hard as possible, It's hard to find a balance. I try to see them as much as possible when I'm at home.

THEGREAT80 in Onstage_1 asks:

What's your thoughts on some of the underground artists you work with such as phil, krondon, monch and what's your thoughts on the retirement of Masta-ace?

Talib Kweli says:

Look out for Phil Da Agony's new album. Strongarm is my family when I'm on the West Coast. I think Masta-ace's new album is great.

mathuskript in Onstage_1 asks:

Kweli this is mathuskript from Detroit, Mi. My question for you is do you have an artist that is not in the hip hop culture you are a fan of

Talib Kweli says:

Thousands! I'm a fan of music, hip hop or not.

mesarule in Onstage_1 asks:

Talib, I know this may sound strange, but are you ready to help save this generation?-U.S. Indiana

Talib Kweli says:

No, the generation has to save itself. I am by no means anybody's savior.

RoscoesHouseofChicken in Onstage_1 asks:

Do you have any European or Asian tour dates coming up?

Talib Kweli says:

I'm leaving on the 21st to tour two weeks in Europe with Kanye West and then two weeks with the Beastie Boys leg of their European tour after Kanye.

vicious82c10 in Onstage_1 asks:

How do you feel about being on the cover of a magazine that combines hip hop and electronic music? Would you ever perform at an event that mixes the two?

Talib Kweli says:

That's the third time I've been on the cover and I feel the same way I always do. I'll perform if they pay me to come.

talibkweli08222 in Onstage_1 asks:

If you could work with an artist who's passed away, who would it be?

Talib Kweli says:

Bob Marley.

?????v??????s???ll?a?? in Onstage_1 asks:

Have you found it hard to "keep it real" with your newly acquired fame?

Talib Kweli says:

No. Whatever "keep it real" means.

ahahahahaahahah in Onstage_1 asks:

What do you feel is the best rhyme scheme when writing a heart-felt or lyrical potential song?

Talib Kweli says:

Rhyme schemes are infinite. You can use whatever comes to your mind.

trainOFthought04 in Onstage_1 asks:

What is your favorite song on the new album?

Talib Kweli says:

Probably the title track.

Los83 in Onstage_1 asks:

Who has inspired your life the most?

Talib Kweli says:

My parents.

Los83 in Onstage_1 asks:

What are things that inspire Talib Kweli?

Talib Kweli says:

Inspiration can come from anywhere at anytime.

WuGambino16 in Onstage_1 asks:

when does The Beautiful Mixtape 2 drop?

Talib Kweli says:

In a couple of weeks.

pittjohnstownkwelifan in Onstage_1 asks:

When are you gonna make it back to Pennsylvania?

Talib Kweli says:

You need to get with your concert promoter in your city and have them get with Blacksmith and I'll go anywhere.

Talib Kweli says:

You can contact CAA to get me to your city.

Los83 in Onstage_1 asks:

I'm curious, you seem to rap about faith a great deal. Are you a man of faith and if so how does that affect your life?

Talib Kweli says:

I rap about faith a lot because out of all the questions, that's the most important question, the one with yourself. My relationship with God is rewarding and personal.

QuestAries4 in Onstage_1 asks:

What's you're style? I mean clothing

Talib Kweli says:

I like hot sh*t.

lameckious in Onstage_1 asks:

Nice show in Montreal Talib. I'm all the way from Kenya Africa living here. I know you went to South Africa. Thinking of going back to other countries in Africa?

Talib Kweli says:

Thank you for the love. I didn't think my show in Montreal was the best. I would love to go to Africa again and I plan to go as soon as possible.

RoscoesHouseofChicken in Onstage_1 asks:

Do you plan on acting like Mos Def has?

Talib Kweli says:

If someone offers me a script.

talibkweli08222 in Onstage_1 asks:

Will the song "Supreme" be on the new mixtape?

Talib Kweli says:

Yes.

pittjohnstownkwelifan in Onstage_1 asks:

How old were you when you first met Mos Def?

Talib Kweli says:

Pretty_Tony225 in Onstage_1 asks:

Who was your biggest influence in the rap game?

Talib Kweli says:

My three earliest influences were Ice Cube, KRS-One and Q-Tip.

What made you sample the Beatles for your new album?

Talib Kweli says:

Charlemagne gave me the beat. I didn't use it for a while because I was scared of the sample but it was too dope to pass up.

crazy_legs08 in Onstage_1 asks:

Hi. How do you like your new album and working with Jay-Z? love you, baby

Talib Kweli says:

Jay is a true hip hop fan and a real professional and it was an honor and a pleasure.

Do you prefer the studio or the road?

Talib Kweli says:

Music is better live, but traveling becomes hard sometimes.

How have your kids affected your life?

Talib Kweli says:

They are my inspiration and my reward at the same time.

Which album do you think is your best album?

Talib Kweli says:

Probably "Reflections Eternal."

vicious82c10 in Onstage_1 asks:

Do you have any organizations that you have set up or are a part of that can help our communities?

Talib Kweli says:

I'm working with the Malcolm X Grassroots movement but I'm not a member of any organization.

Talib Kweli says:

Prisoners of Conscious committee.

quintillions in Onstage_1 asks:

Do you meditate? StL,MO

Talib Kweli says:

Sure. It may not be your definition of meditation, but I guess.

Digital Dish Diva says:

What is your next video?

Talib Kweli says:

I don't know. What would you all suggest?

Kingse7en in Onstage_1 asks:

How have your parents and grandparents affect your music and decisons

Talib Kweli says:

My parents taught me early not to take things at face value and that allowed me to question and explore everything in front of me so it let me have the power to make informed decisions.

lionstrong52 in Onstage_1 asks:

How can we as individuals in these troubled times, make others aware that all religions are equally significant and that their are vital lessons to learn from all walks of life? Thank you Talib for blessing us with your words and heart album after album.

Talib Kweli says:

Respect everyone's faith and look for things in people's faces that are similar to celebrate the similarities rather than differences.

Blackstar_04 in Onstage_1 asks:

What can we expect from you in the future?

Talib Kweli says:

More music, just trying to be better at it.

Digital Dish Diva says:

Thanks to Talib Kweli for dropping by MSN Live. Pick up his album "The Beautiful Struggle" today.

Talib Kweli says:

I wish I had time to answer everyone's question. I appreciate everyone riding with me through it. I will try and do this more often so I can answer more questions.

I was hoping to participate in this chat but I was working when it went down! :bang:

Thanx 4 sharing that!! I really need 2 pick up his new album. Talib Kweli is one of the best 'new' things 2 come 2 Hip-Hop in years. It's nice seeing that the man in this chat and the man in the music are the same...down 2 earth, intellegent, and positive. He could teach a few guys a thing or 2 (mostly guys who name them selves after candy and money). Anybody wanna spend 50 cents on a pack of M&Ms??