JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

• Admin

Well the reviews are in..and it looks like its a very average movie. I think this could be Will's worst % on rotten tomatoes. They are basically saying he is like a robot in the movie so all his natural charm is taken away and he is hardly in it.

• Admin

thought this was a reasonable review from Onion AV Club:

For a $130 million vanity project, After Earth is remarkably lean. Conceived by Will Smith as a starring vehicle for his son, Jaden, the movie is a no-frills wilderness survival tale with sci-fi trappings. For most of its running time, its two major characters are the only people onscreen. Big chunks of the movie pass without dialogue. The set-up is clean and simple: A spacecraft crash-lands on a deep-future, depopulated Earth; the only survivors, a father and son, must recover the craft’s distress beacon in order to be rescued.

The father has broken both of his legs. The son is inexperienced. They have few supplies, and suspect that their cargo—an alien specimen—has survived. They don’t uncover secrets. They don’t pass ruined landmarks. They don’t get sentimental about their home world or wonder about what humanity has lost by relocating to the stars. As far as the movie is concerned, Earth is a hostile planet that their ancestors left with good reason.

Acting more or less as a hired gun, director M. Night Shyamalan brings considerable formal chops to the project. His style—part arthouse, part Spielberg—is well-suited to the material, and his knack for framing and editing comes in handy during the movie’s many dialogue-free scenes, including an effective post-crash sequence that intentionally breaks nearly every rule of classical continuity editing. Austere, roomy compositions—courtesy of Peter Suschitzky, the longtime David Cronenberg cinematographer who also shot The Empire Strikes Back—frame Jaden Smith’s character against vast backdrops of swaying foliage; during certain stretches, After Earth looks more like an elaborate Werner Herzog homage than a big-budget sci-fi flick.

And yet, despite all of this, After Earth is a mixed bag. It’s hard to blame Shyamalan for the downright embarrassing opening, a choppy mess of redundant exposition that seems to belong in a different movie. Shyamalan may be an earnest (and some would say corny) storyteller, but he’s also economical; the opening’s overreliance on stock footage and plot-explaining voiceover stinks of test-screening rewrites. Then there’s the problem of Jaden Smith; bereft of charisma or anything resembling acting talent, he’s more liability than lead. Fortunately, he spends almost the entire movie running, jumping, and listening to his father talk—all things that the young Smith or his stunt double seem to be very good at.

As the father, Will Smith spends most of After Earth sitting in a chair. His performance is grim and low-key; occasionally, it feels like the elder Smith is trying to throw the film in his son’s favor. To further complicate matters, all of the movie’s dialogue is spoken in a futuristic, vaguely Caribbean “post-Earth” accent, which proves to be distracting, since neither Smith seems to be able to keep his accent consistent.

As if to counterbalance the outsize dynasty-building ambitions of the movie’s producer/co-star, Shyamalan scales back at key moments. Will Smith’s centerpiece monologue, for instance, is composed in chiaroscuro static shots, which lends the scene ambiguity. The crash sequence plays out without any music; when James Newton Howard’s score does come in, it’s frequently modernist and dissonant—not exactly the sort of music you’d expect in a father-son bonding movie. Shyamalan’s sensibility may not be enough to turn After Earth into a great (or even very good) film, but it does yield interesting—and at times strikingly realized—results.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/after-earth,98361/

I start to wonder if the reviewers have actually seen the same film... another great review below

http://www.luminationnetwork.com/2013/05/30/after-earth-provides-gripping-tale-of-survival/

"Unfortunately, most folks won’t be fair to this film because of the other titles in Shyamalan’s lineage. A few of the reviews I’ve browsed over have made some baseless claims that don’t necessarily point out anything that’s wrong with the movie.

Honestly, I bet that a few folks were a little disappointed they didn’t get to chow down on this movie like they expected to. Sure, I love penning the occasional bad review as much as the next guy, but when a film deserves credit, I give credit to where it’s due.

In a perfect world, After Earth gets Shyamalan and J. Smith a few calls for upcoming projects. It’s an emotionally gripping tale of survival that should rise above whatever hollow cynicism already exists about the film’s existence.

It’s the homerun that Shyamalan needed to get back in the good graces of this filmgoer."

I start to wonder if the reviewers have actually seen the same film... another great review below

http://www.luminationnetwork.com/2013/05/30/after-earth-provides-gripping-tale-of-survival/

"Unfortunately, most folks won’t be fair to this film because of the other titles in Shyamalan’s lineage. A few of the reviews I’ve browsed over have made some baseless claims that don’t necessarily point out anything that’s wrong with the movie.

Honestly, I bet that a few folks were a little disappointed they didn’t get to chow down on this movie like they expected to. Sure, I love penning the occasional bad review as much as the next guy, but when a film deserves credit, I give credit to where it’s due.

In a perfect world, After Earth gets Shyamalan and J. Smith a few calls for upcoming projects. It’s an emotionally gripping tale of survival that should rise above whatever hollow cynicism already exists about the film’s existence.

It’s the homerun that Shyamalan needed to get back in the good graces of this filmgoer."

A lot of people won't take this to heart, but this is certainly something I have noticed of late... especially as the opening draws close. A good number of reviewers and commentators seem to want this film to fail primarily because of Shyamalan's involvement. It's not often that you see a reviewer put others on blast, but this is an accurate take. I've seen a lot of snark and cynicism on various forums concerning Night, and to be honest, I've seen the same things concerning Jaden. Now this is funny because Jaden got quite a bit of hate for Karate Kid before it came out, but most people ultimately ended up liking it, and appreciating his performance. However, people are going back to their previous criticisms and claims of nepotism as if they forgot that they ended up liking Karate Kid. A bad review is a bad review, but when you see reviewers open up with a 2 paragraph take on why they hate M. Night or make comments concerning Will Smith "shoving hid kid down our throats" before they launch into the review, it's easy to get the sense that some people had an agenda or bias before seeing the movie.

Hmm from what ive read i think i'll probably like the movie but it will be far from one of my favourites. Ive been concerned for months that Will isnt in it much, i'll support Wills kids but at the end of the day i'm going to see the movie because of Will not Jaden.

I think critics are always too harsh on Wills films and im sure a lot of it is a hatred for him pushing his kids, but yeah it doesnt sound like one of his strongest movies. Im just hoping he does another project not involving his kids sometime on the near future.