JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rap The ONLY Genre To Have Sales Increase

VIsqo

Rap The ONLY Genre To Have Sales Increase

The music industry might seem to be moving down with pirated music and illegal downloads but rap and hip hop albums are actually selling more. According to Billboard, althought it's not much, hip hop CDs sold 3% more (27.3 million) than they did the year before, making rap the ONLY GENRE to have an album-sales increase.

While its bump was not huge — just 3% — rap was the only genre to post an album-sales increase last year, scanning 27.3 million units, up from 26.4 million units in the prior year — and five straight years of declining sales, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Along with Eminem’s 3.415 million sales for the year, other big sellers in the genre include Drake’s “Thank Me Later” (1.27 million), Kanye West’s “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” (882,000), Nicki Minaj’s “Pink Friday” (852,000) and Lil Wayne’s “Rebirth” (710,000) and “I Am Not a Human Being” (664,000), according to Nielsen SoundScan. (Billboard)

http://www.rapbasement.com/rap/011011-rap-and-hip-hop-are-the-only-genre-to-have-a-sale-increase-in-2010-details-here-click-now.html

Minaj is already platinum..

That says something. I'm not sure what "that" is since the the genre of music that has also gone to the hell the hardest regarding the so-called artists that are popular and the awful forgettable music that gets spins for a 1 month to a year before we never hear it again.

A part of me is happy that rap is still popular but another part wishes it'd become underground until more talented rappers get popular 'cause all these wack rappers make it look like all rap fans have low IQs

Kanye Scores 5th Platinum Album with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Sunday January 16, 2011

Kanye West has scored his 5th consecutive platinum album, with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy crossing the 1 million units mark. The album also scored cool points with most criticis, finishing on top of Rolling Stone, Time, and About.com's year-end lists. It's pure proof that commercial success and critical applause are not mutually exclusive. Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday, which is obviously the greatest album ever released, reached the platinum status in just six weeks.

http://rap.about.com/b/2011/01/16/kanye-scores-5th-platinum-album-with-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy.htm

That says something. I'm not sure what "that" is since the the genre of music that has also gone to the hell the hardest regarding the so-called artists that are popular and the awful forgettable music that gets spins for a 1 month to a year before we never hear it again.

Couldn't agree more. There are some exceptions but very few exceptions mainstream wise.

Eminem and BoB albums were good too, and the Nas one. Nicki's album was so bad I pretended to my wife that somebody came in and stole it for more than a week. I simply cant stand most of the songs there..