JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP / R-N-B NEWS

JumpinJack AJ

All of these are from AOL's Boombox.

Kurtis Blow Busted for Marijuana by Airport Body Scanner

Hip-hop legend Kurtis Blow was busted for marijuana possession at LAX Thursday (Dec. 2). According to TMZ, the weed was uncovered when the rapper went through a TSA body scanner. Law enforcement officials told the website that the scan noticed "an anomaly" in his pants pocket, which turned out to be the substance. Because the amount of marijuana was under an ounce, he was subsequently ticketed for the offense, and sent on his way.

Since its inclusion into the airport screening system earlier this year, the TSA body scanners, have been met with public scrutiny. The machines can see through passengers' clothing, a move felt to be invasive by some travelers. "Our goal must be to maximize protection and security and minimize inconvenience and invasiveness," said White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, in defense of the scanners. "It's not an easy task."

Noted as one of the pioneers of hip-hop, Blow helped usher the new genre of music into the mainstream with the release of his 1980 single, 'The Breaks.' In 2009, the 51-year-old became an ordained minister and is the founder of the Hip-Hop Church located in New York City, which recently celebrated its sixth anniversary.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Aretha Franklin To Undergo Medical Procedure, Community Prayer Vigil Held

By Bridget Bland on Dec 2nd 2010 3:33PM

Aretha Franklin has been recovering from a mystery illness, which resulted in the cancellation of all of her concert dates and personal appearances through May 2011, but will soon undergo a medical procedure.

The Queen of Soul's current spokesperson, Tracey Jordan, previously told media that the Grammy Award-winning powerhouse vocalist was released from Detroit's Sinai Grace Hospital Oct.30 after a brief stay.

Now, comes news that a community vigil was held in Detroit on the eve of her surgery, which is scheduled for today (Dec.2).

City councilwoman JoAnn Watson and others gathered downtown to pray for the 'Respect' singer. She sent a message through her rep thanking them for their encouragement during her tough time.

"Thanks to the City Council for their Prayer Vigil. And, many thanks to the City for their support. All prayers are good," Franklin said.

While it is still unclear what illness the 68 year-old is suffering from, she won't be hitting the road anytime soon.

On the popular social networking platform Twitter, Grammy Award winning singer Jody Watley sent well wishes and recanted memories with the Queen of Soul. "Aretha Franklin could have been my mother-in-law, I taught her how to do the robot & more..#memoirsstories #queenofsoul [Get well soon]."

Franklin first canceled two Brooklyn shows due to a fall which resulted in two broken ribs. Her last major performance was on July 27 at Philadephia's Mann Music Center alongside U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q-Tip Tweets Disapproval of A Tribe Called Quest Doc

For a few years now, New York-based actor Michael Rapaport has been hard at work on his documentary dedicated to legendary hip-hop group, A Tribe Called Quest. To the delight of ATCQ fans, this week Rapaport finally released a trailer of the film, titled 'Beats Rhymes & Fights,' but apparently Q-Tip is not too thrilled about what he saw.

Q-Tip took to Twitter on Thursday to announce that is not standing behind the film, although it is finally set to premier at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. "I am not in support of the a tribe called quest documentary," he wrote. "The filmmaker should respect the band to the point of honoring the few requests that's was made abt the piece."

The Queens MC chose not to reveal any further details about his discontent with the film, which will air out several personal moments with his former band mates Phife Dawg, Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Jarobi. The footage follows the foursome through the highs and lows of their careers, and it will detail some of the issues that eventually caused them to part ways.

Popular artists like Questlove, Kanye West, Mos Def, the Roots and Nas – who had a hand in creating the documentary -- will also make cameos to discuss A Tribe Called Quest's influence on hip-hop, and their personal work.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVoH7Qe34c&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVoH7Qe34c&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
------------------------------------------------------------

Monica 'Shocked' by Grammy Nomination

After the 'Grammy Nominations Concert Live!' at Los Angeles' Club Nokia last night, some of the nominees gathered in the back to meet with the press and discuss their nods. One of those was Best R&B Album and Best R&B Female Vocal Performance nominee Monica, who admitted to the gathered throng she was in disbelief at the honor. "I'm still in shock. You know they don't tell you until you come up from the back so I really was here in support of a lot of other people. I'm a part of the Grammy board, and I was not expecting anything," she said of her surprise nomination for 'Still Standing.'

For the one-time teen star, now a mother of two, she has a whole different perspective on what recognition like this means. "I have not been a part of the Grammys as far as being nominated since 1999, so at 16 years old I didn't understand what it means," she said. "Now, at 30, I'm just in shock that I'm even being considered and being nominated with some of the people that are in the category as well. So it's just an honor, but I can't lie, it's still sinking in. I haven't really digested any of it just yet."

The honor is especially satisfying to her as well because of what the album means. "Still Standing,' to me, is something I used to always say to myself: Stand on your own two feet, don't allow things to just overtake you and consume you because things at one point were just that bad," she said. "But after taking some time off from the industry, giving birth to both my children, who are now five and three, I just look at life as a confirmation that you can make it through anything. So 'Still Standing' was just that and I wanted other girls, especially younger ones, to feel empowered by it."

She confesses that trying to put a positive message out there she didn't know how it would be received. "I never expected to be here at this point with that type of album that was more about inspiration and pulling through. I just didn't know exactly where I would fit," she says. "But I knew those were the types of messages I wanted to send."

--------------------------------------------------

Brandy and Ray J Release New Song With Their Dad

Sibling crooners/reality stars Brandy and Ray J have united with their parents Sonja and Willie Norwood Sr. to release family album 'Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business,' as the soundtrack to their new TV series of the same name.

In anticipation of the album, Brandy, Ray J and their gospel singer dad Willie have released their first single, 'Talk to Me,' a lush, slow ballad with an '80's flair, which is currently available for purchase online. The song marks the first time the Norwoods have recorded or performed together, and is a soulful tribute to their family, as the song's title suggests, with Brandy singing her father's praise "Now that daddy you've shown me what a man is supposed to be/ I couldn't make it without you, daddy," and Ray J backing her up, "You helped me find the truth inside of me/ Yeah that's how a real man's supposed to be."

'Talk to Me' was written and produced by Scott "Shavoni" Parker, who has previously worked with Patti LaBelle, Michelle Williams, Cece Winans and more.

'Brandy & Ray J: A Family Business' debuts December 5th at 11PM EST on VH1. The family album will is scheduled to be released in early 2011, via Saguaro Road Rhythm records.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Rihanna Makes History With Seventh No. 1 Single

'Only Girl (In the World)," the first single from Rihanna's fifth album, 'Loud,' has skyrocketed the pop princess to new Billboard heights, making her the artist with the most No. 1 singles since 1992.

The song was released in September and gives Rihanna her seventh No. 1 appearance on Billboard's Mainstream Top 40 chart, breaking a new record in the Nielsen list's 18-year-history. This puts Ri-Ri ahead of number two contenders Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey and Beyonce, who each have six No. 1 singles under their belts.

Rihanna's previous number one hits include: 'S.O.S.' (May 2006), 'Disturbia' (July 2008) 'Live Your Life (feat. Rihanna)' (Dec 2008), 'Rude Boy' (May 2010) and 'Love the Way You Lie' (Aug 2010). Her most recent single, 'What's My Name?' featuring Drake, debuted on Billboard's Hot 100 chart two weeks ago. The two recently filmed the video for the song in New York City.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Faith Evans Sentenced For 'Reckless Driving'

After being arrested for a suspected DUI this past August, Faith Evans pleaded no contest to one count of reckless driving -- a misdemeanor -- on Monday. Evans, who is staging something of a comeback with her latest release, 'Something About Faith,' was sentenced to three years of informal probation, during which time she will not be permitted to drive with any amount of alcohol in her system, according to MTV News. But, don't worry, that's not all: the singer also has to pay a small fine -- to the tune of $300 -- and complete a three-month alcohol program of some sort.

This isn't the first time Evans has seemingly ducked a bigger blow. In 2004, she and her husband were arrested in Georgia after authorities found cocaine and marijuana in her possession during a routine traffic stop. She avoided jail time for that one by entering a three-month drug program of some sort. She sang about the experience in her 2005 single 'Again.'

-----------------

It looks like a lot of people have made some stupid choices. The A Tribe Called Quest documentary looks interesting. However, it looks like they are focusing to much on the group's fights. Find that Brandy + Ray-J song on YouTube. It's a good ballad track.

I'm not saying Def Jam is over, it's just NOTHING like the days of LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Onyx, Warren G, Method Man, Slick Rick. I refer to it as The Label Formally Known As Def Jam. The Roots, Chrisette Michele, Ne-Yo, and Rihanna are all great artists. But nobody on the label represents the it's roots and what it stood for. Plus, since they've merged with Island, I don't know who's OFFICIALLY on Def Jam and who's not other than seeing if the Def Jam logo is on it.

Nas is signed to Def Jam too still I believe but his music has been poorly promoted and they don't want to put out his "Lost Tapes 2" either, we see how they've poorly promoted the G.O.A.T. LL Cool J's last few albums as well, Def Jam ain't in the golden era no more... I'm surprised about Kurtis Blow since he's supposed to be a minister now, then again maybe he has glaucoma or something for medical use so maybe that's why he had the marijuana, we don't know all the sides to the story.... Congrats to Monica and Brandy/Ray J for doing their thing....

I'm not saying Def Jam is over, it's just NOTHING like the days of LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Onyx, Warren G, Method Man, Slick Rick. I refer to it as The Label Formally Known As Def Jam. The Roots, Chrisette Michele, Ne-Yo, and Rihanna are all great artists. But nobody on the label represents the it's roots and what it stood for. Plus, since they've merged with Island, I don't know who's OFFICIALLY on Def Jam and who's not other than seeing if the Def Jam logo is on it.

...Method Man still is on Def Jam...

Kurtis Blow.. I told ya.. Errbody can call himself a minister in the usa.. But I doubt God cares about Kurtis smoking a blunt anyway. I've never read anything about weed in the bible.

Edited by Turntable