JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Fat Joe Calls His New Album A Classic

VIsqo

Fat Joe Calls His New Album A Classic

Fat Joe recently spoke with The Boombox, while standing on a rooftop in New York City's NoHo district. The Terror Squad leader says that his new "Darkside" album is "ammunition" for the true hip-hop heads out there, going on to call the project simply "a classic."

In related news, Fat Joe's "Darkside" album sold 12,000 copies in it's first week in stores.

http://www.rapbasement.com/fat-joe/081710-fat-joe-calls-his-recent-darkside-album-a-classic-watch-here-click-now-to-view.html

Poor Fat Joe.. I actually have the album because my cousin gave it to me as a gift and I find it pretty good.. Have anyone of you heard it yet?

I just listened to the album online. I do like it over all but I wouldn't call it a classic. I mean, when is the last time we heard and album in Hip-Hop that was a classic in recent years? The beats are above average. I didn't listen to the lyrics to closely but over all I would call it "a good rap album"...especially to today's commercial standards. He also seems to balance himself between was is credible Hip-Hop and was is popular rap music. I only buy certain albums brand new. I'll probably pick this one up used online when it's a few month old and cheap...lol.

I'm glad u posted this because after "Make It Rain" being a huge pile of garbage I wasn't going out of my way to give Fat Joe another listen.

I'm not the biggest fan of "Make It Rain" either but there was some songs I liked on that "Me, Myself, & I" album, from the songs I heard online this new album sounds good too, maybe not classic but it's rare to find good music these days like you said AJ, Fat Joe is a talented artist that I got respect for...

Edited by bigted

Get Rich or die trying is not a classic. It is an album that sold lots of millions, but its not a classic. Dont get me wrong. I own it, and its actually the 50 cent album that I enjoyed the most. But from that to call it a classic? ..............

"Get Rich Or Die Trying"'s the only classic album in hip hop history??!!! If record sales was the only thing that matter then Vanilla Ice would be the GOAT, btw what does "Get Rich Or Die Trying" have to do with Fat Joe's new album? Fat Joe's the one of many mcs that destroyed 50's credibility already anyway

Edited by bigted

:prof: Terms like "classic" are overused and have been for years. Just like "keep it real." Terms like that mean nothing anymore. They did in the beginning and have been over used for so long that they mean nothing. I don't know what it would require to have a "classic" album these days. When I think of a classic album, I 1st think of the consistency of the album. From the 1st track to the last, are they all good and are they all different but work together for a stronger purpose (that is the album)? Was it the best or one of the best of it's time. Was the production solid across the board? Did each song have a purpose...a focus? And lastly, some success does need to be in the mix. Something about the album had to be successful to define it's era and influence for years to come (that doesn't mean that uncreative bandwagon artists copying them is considered influence). Is Fat Joe's album a classic. No. Are any of 50 Cent's albums classic. Nope. The 90's was the last decade that really had exciting award shows, music videos, singles, charts, albums that had focus and talent was more often considered when securing a record deal. Dare I say Hip-Hop hasn't had a true classic album in the 2000's? There are some great ones, but very few times do those great albums also get success. There's a lot of successful albums, but hardly ever do those artists have talent, write solid songs, and seek great producers.