JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

KEITH SWEAT - NEW ALBUM

I was gonna pick up the album 2day but wasn't able to. It's on sale for only $7.99 at Best Buy this week. It's $10 at WalMart.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith Sweat 'Ridin' Solo' on New Album and TV Debut

We tend to reach deep into history when we speak of our "legends," but almost halfway through 2010, we can't ignore that the 1980s and '90s birthed a slew of talent who went on to inspire those who would come after them. Keith Sweat can easily be categorized as a R&B laurel, who, along with Teddy Riley, made New Jack Swing a resolute movement. After churning out the hits and releasing six platinum-selling albums from 1987 to 1998, Sweat moved aside in the new millennium to make way for the new school. But now the 48-year-old is back with a full plate of goodies, including his new 'Ridin' Solo' album, which hits stores today.

"I'm trying to add to the catalog," Sweat told The BoomBox, while insisting that 'Ridin' Solo' isn't a major departure from what his hardcore fans expect. When The BoomBox chopped it up with Sweat there was no elephant in the room. The singer is well aware that his latest project is a reintroduction of sorts. "I feel a real resurgence right now. Sometimes you have to reinvent yourself in all areas," Sweat explains.

Sweat isn't just talking about himself when it comes to "reinvention." Aside from releasing a new album, the singer/producer is debuting a reality series. On 'Keith Sweat's Platinum House' -- premiering June 28 on Centric -- Sweat will offer support to R&B group Dru Hill as they attempt to revive their fledgling career.

"We have our favorite acts like SWV, New Edition we all grew up listening to them and they have a wide fan base, [but] those veteran groups are not in radio demographics. So you don't hear about them as much and then they end up falling in to adult contemporary, which has the 18-34 mainstream missing out because, radio is so concerned about whatever song is hot now and they feel that these artist are not relevant," the singer explains. With his own radio show on WBLS, Sweat knows what he's talking about. As the host of the station's 'Quiet Storm' program, currently dubbed 'Sweat Hotel,' the he knows exactly how the industry works and he's using his new projects to bridge the gap. "My TV show and radio program can connect the fans back with these artists, find out what they're doing and keep them relevant," Sweat said.

As for his new project, 'Ridin' Solo,' and Dru Hill's first album in eight years, 'Indrupendence Day,' Sweat wholeheartedly believes in resurrecting a career via good music. "People may say you're over in the game," Sweat admits. "...but you are never over until there's no breath in your body."

Keith Sweat's one of my favorite r&b artists of all time, his last album "Just Me" was one of the more slept on albums of 2008, I was happy that he reunited with Teddy Riley on that one 'cause they make one great duo from the New Jack Swing era, is it true that Teddy Riley produced this whole new album? I was reading that on Wikipedia last night... I really got into his music when he released his "Keith Sweat" album back in '96, that's my favorite album from him, and I suggest that you check out his greatest hits album "The Best Of Keith Sweat", it's probably one of the better greatest hits albums out there covering all the great tracks from his career... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_Keith_Sweat

I'm also excited to see that he's involved in bringing Dru Hill back, we need that real soul music again 'cause I'm tired of all these fake autotune suckers out there...

I didn't get the album today like I planned. I will get it tomorrow tho.' I haven't listened 2 it yet. Usually I listen 2 albums 1st online but I know it's gonna be good. I might peep some of it 2nite cuz I'm not that patient.

• 5 months later...

This album is by far my favorite r&b album this year, listening to this album brought back memories of when I first listened to him back in '96, this guy never ages one bit, I hope he sings until he's 100, "It's A Shame" has become an anthem for me thinking about all the relationships that I had that didn't work out, it's like "Why Me? 2010", he shoulda did a remix with LL Cool J doing a verse, that'd been even more classic ish, here's a song I found on youtube that didn't make the album, "Going At It" it was his original single for the album released in March....

One of my favorite songs on the album is the title track "Ridin' Solo", he sings his heart out about being single and needing a girl, this should've gotten a grammy nomination:

I also found a gold mine on youtube, an unreleased album from 2003 called "The Legendary Keith Sweat", this track featuring Dru Hill "It's On" is the only track I heard so far and it's got me bouncin'!!