JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

I saw Arrested Development live last night. AWESOME EXPERIENCE!!

Back in 1992 when they came out, I instantly loved "Tennessee." To this day it's one of my favorite Hip-Hop songs of all time and has only spoken to me more with age. I loved both of their 1st 2 studio albums. Why I appreciate Speech's solo work equally, I was disappointed when they parted ways. Luckily, with the internet I was able to see they were back together and doing things on an indie level in the early 2000's. Anyways, to me, AD is easily one of the best and most consistent groups in all of Hip-Hop. For those who aren't familiar with their music; it's a very organic brand of Hip-Hop that talks about life and love. No over produced or trendy beats. No talk of sex, drugs, bling, etc. No real cussing. The group has evolved around the 4 core members with other extended members coming and going over the years. Their package includes everything...emceeing, singing, dancing, DJing, and a complete live band.

A few months ago they were supposed to perform close by in Baltimore but they show was canceled. Since it was still on the venue's site (AD took it off their Myspace) I still went and was disappointed when I found out it was canceled. When I saw this show pop up, I knew I wasn't gonna miss it. The only downside to it was that they were part of a festival which had them playing a shorter set for an audience that mostly didn't know who their really were. It was at some mega rich private school and a lot of the audience was young white kids who probably never heard of them until they heard they were coming and did research on them online...lol. Not exactly the perfect venue for the afrocentric Grammy-winning Hip-Hop group from Atlanta. I was sure 2 show up early so I was up front and center. The environment was strange. On this ritzy campus, it was set up kinda like a carnival with tons of cheap food and games. Once they opened the area 2 the main stage I just waited with a friend forever to make sure nobody got any closer. I saw thru' some high school aged rock band that was actually pretty good tho' they certainly weren't my taste in music.

Anyways, when AD came out, I was so hyped. It's always a thrill 2 see your favorite artists live. They did a handful of songs off their new album before they broke into Tennessee. They covered their other biggest hits like People Everyday, Mr. Wendal, and Ease My Mind. Eshe still dances like she's 20 years old. She just goes for it. She's simply amazing. Tasha has some of the most powerful pipes in all of R-N-B. Rasa Don wasn't there and neither was Baba Oje (who was turning 78 that day!...the oldest man in Hip-Hop). I was a bit upset that they didn't have a DJ for this set. It was strictly a live band. Speech came across just like he does on all of his material. They also had tons of crowd interaction throughout the show. I've been 2 handful of concerts and they did some things I've never seen artists doing on stage. Since this wasn't a legit concert and part of an event, their set ran about an hour and half (the 2 live albums I have from them both go over 2 hours). They did and encore and brought up tons of people on stage. At one point they stopped bringing people on stage but people just kept climbing on the stage...lol. Overall, the show was amazing. The crowd was actually really awesome. Once they started, the place got packed and people really responded to them. A lot of them didn't know what AD was all about so some of their interaction was a bit strange, but whatever. The thing that I appreciated the most about their show was how much the loved being on stage. You could see they were having a great time. At the end of the show, they let the crowd know they were selling music and shirts in the back and would be happy to meet anyone who wanted to meet them. This was after they already reached out to all the people up front, slapping hands. One Love actually jumped down in2 the audience.

My friend and I hung out awhile while they sold stuff and greeted people. We waited at the end of the lines so we could have more of their attention...lol. I asked Speech for a picture and he came around the table 2 talk for a moment. He was talking about the new album and I let him know I got it a couple weeks ago. He asked about his new solo record and I told him I had it all. He seemed impressed when I mentioned some of the things I had. He shook my hand and thanked me for the support. I also talked to Eshe and Tasha for a bit and got a picture with them. Eshe is so freakin' funny. Just hearing her interact with the other fans was hilarious. Speech pointed out that the version they were selling was different from the version I got on Amazon and that it had some other songs on it. Unfortunately I didn't have enough cash on me because of the tolls I had 2 pay 2 get 2 Pittsburgh. He said I'd be able 2 get it on the website soon.

Amazing night. Anyone who wants 2 see some of the pix from the show can see them on my Myspace and Facebook.

Check their website...
www.ArrestedDevelopmentMusic.com

Arrested Development do make some music to chill too, I'm happy for you AJ!!

I have been very fortunate to see a lot of my favorite groups/artists live....DJ Jazzy Jeff + Fresh Prince, TLC, Arrested Development, De La Soul, Wyclef, Black Eyed Peas (2000), Jason Mraz, LFO...

Not to mention others like CIty High, The Pharsyde, Kris Kross, Musiq Soulchild, Eric Hutchinson.

While their are many other groups and artists I'd like to see, I'll feel complete when I finally see LL Cool J live.

My friend who lives in Pittsburgh who saw AD with me said that DJ Jazzy Jeff was spinning at a club one night a few weeks ago and that nobody really knew about it. She said if she hadn't found out the night it happened she would have let me know.

That's dope man, I love AR, great stuff. I saw LL few years ago, I'm sure you'll get the chance one day living in the usa and all. I saw Alicia last week, that was dope, once you hear Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart in a big location you'll start loving that song.