JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

KRS-ONE Working On New Album With DJ Premier

bigted

Hell yeah this is great news to go along with Will working with Kel again, this is breathing some life back into hip hop:

http://www.kmag.co.uk/editorial/blogs/hip_hop/dj-premier-and-krs-one-return

We're set for another sequel of sorts in 2010 with DJ Premier confirming he is working on a new collaborative album with the legendary KRS-One. The album will be a follow up to the Teacha's 1993 LP Return of the Boom Bap, which featured a number of tracks from Premo, as well as the iconic Sound of da Police. The pair recently worked together on the 2007 Nike Air Force campaign spawning the track Classic which featured the pair alongside Nas, Kanye and Rakim.

DJ Premier broke the news this week in an interview with examiner.com: "We're doing Return of the Boom Bip. Not Boom Bap, Boom Bip. Shout out to Q-Tip who is already on it. Grand Puba and Ice-T who are on it, it's going to be one of the illest albums of 2010!"

With Premier working on new albums for Big Shug and NYG'z and KRS scheduled to release three other collaborative albums this year, expect this around the end of 2010 on Preem's Year Round Records imprint. In the meantime we can look forward to DJ Premier playing Matter on Friday March 26th.

Edited by bigted

I'm really looking forward to this. However, I don't want KRS linking up with a bunch of other people. That last album's weakest aspect was the other rapper on it. I'd prefer a solo album after the one with Premier. And Premier needs to get things together with Guru when he's back in full force.

Yeah I could feel what you're saying AJ, KRS is at his best shining on his own, but it seems to him that he's done so many solo albums that he's been wanting to do something different by doing collaboration albums ever since he put out "Hip Hop Lives" with Marley Marl and for that I can't knock him too hard 'cause it's not like he's selling out working with T-Pain and Lil' Wayne like the rest of the industry has been, who he's worked with recently has incorporated that true hip hop sound that KRS has been known to represent in his career, even back to his latest album Buckshot's a legend in his own right and it had some heat on it... As far as DJ Premier, I feel you AJ, his best work is with Guru on them Gangstarr albums and it would be only fitting if there was a new one coming out soon...

That "Return Of The Boom Bap" is one of the best albums ever made, '93 was such a great year, if anyone could bring back that boom bap feeling it'd be the originators KRS and Premier

That boop bap sound was classic. It was gritty and street but had enough rhythm to it to make it onto the charts from time to time. The sounds used in it's production was simple, mostly timeless, classic Hip-Hop. It's not really a dated sound, it was just biggest in the early '90's thru' the mid '90's. Production is watered down across the board commercially. A solid sound is desperately needed. But will people every trade in Drake for KRS-One? They should.