JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Michael Jackson rehearsal might get DVD release as 'final performance'

Da Brakes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jun/30/michael-jackson-rehearsal-dvd-release

Though Michael Jackson never played a single date of his intended nine-month O2 residency, fans may yet get a taste of the tour that never was. The singer's final concert rehearsal was recorded, according to reports, and may be released on CD and DVD.

"We have a live album in the can," an anonymous official from O2 promoters AEG Live told The Wrap. Though the concerts were to begin in early July, Jackson had already been rehearsing in Los Angeles for two months, preparing with dancers, choreographers and even allegedly developing a "sequel" to the moonwalk dance-move.

According to The Wrap's source, Jackson's rehearsal at the Staples Centre on Wednesday, one day before his death, was recorded in multi-camera high-definition video and multi-track surround-sound audio. AEG are now allegedly considering the release of this footage, as a "live" album and DVD.

As mourning fans snatch up Jackson's albums – emptying retailers' shelves and helping songs like Bad to storm the charts – the singer's "final performance" would be likely to sell millions. This could be valuable revenue for AEG: the promoters must refund more than 750,000 O2 tickets, and there are reports the gigs were not fully insured.

Jackson was "electric" in the final rehearsal, according to lighting designer Patrick Woodroffe. This was a change from the previous week, Woodroffe told BBC4, when "[Jackson] hadn't really been with us".

Over several hours, Jackson interacted with dancers, musicians and aerial performers. Speaking to Bloomberg, AEG president Randy Phillips raved about the performance. "I take great solace in the pride and confidence [Jackson] exhibited in the rehearsals on Wednesday night. This is the memory I will cherish for the rest of my life."

"It was quite an emotional moment when we realised that, well, he had it," Woodroffe said. "Of course we all had a view as to whether he would be able to survive these 50 shows."

I would love this 2 happen providing it was really taped in a polished and proffesional way. If it wasn't taped on that level, then they could include it on an MJ DVD but not as the main reason 2 get it. I have watched the memorbilia jump. I have a good bit of MJ music. As i was watching the news on CNN that he was in a coma and/or passed away, i got on ebay and snatched up any of the cheaper MJ stuff that i know i wanted becuz i knew this would happen. I've watched some stuff over the past few days jump 2 crazy prices. Whenever i'm out shopping i'll check for MJ CDs and nowhere has ANY. As a fan, i regularly check that kinda thing. People are grabbing everything they can. It's silly that it took his passing 2 go out and wanna support him but at least they are realizing now that they were foolish for treating him the way they did just because of court cases that never had any real evidence.

Its very bitter sweet but i wanna see the dvd whatever. Ive been keeping up with news for months now about what the concert will be like, so i kinda need to know now.

i dont think it will be a bad ending, i think everyone doubts that Mike could do it, all the press said he wasnt turning up to rehersals and that he could no longer dance, this would prove them all wrong and Michael will be remembered as always being the best.

I can't agree that NOT seeing the rehearsal would be a better ending. Let's think about what MJ has achieved in the past 10 years. Things have been pretty quiet. He's only relesed 1 studio album which was good and did well, but it didn't do typical MJ numbers. Everything else was drama and negativity. People didn't support him. Rumors said he wasn't even rehearsing or that he wasn't able 2 peform much anymore. This DVD would be the proper send off. This DVD would shut up all of the negative people knocking his abilities and what he was actually doing. Now that the world is more open 2 MJ and missing him instead of criticizing him, they would see him do his thing one more time. His star may be shining brighter than it has and people may be praising him for the 1st time in 15 years, but musically, there is NOTHING for him. We need 2 see the singer, songwriter, dancer, producer, and creative artist blow our minds right b4 he left us. People (especially the haters) need 2 see with their own eyes that he was in his prime up until it was his time.

Yeah, but what i'm saying is that musically as an artist, anyone who is giving him praise is thinking back 2 the the time before the early/mid 90's. So many people are unaware of how dope he was as a singer and artist since the mid-90's. This rehearsal/concert being available 2 people, knowing that it was just days before he passed, will let all of those people know that he was still in his prime, it's just that all those haters and weak "fans" weren't around 2 be aware of that.

I think that this is a the type idea that'd help people have their last memory of Michael Jackson being that he was the greatest entertainer ever

That's what i'm tryna say. One thing that annoyed me when MTV, BET, and VH-1 was that most of the videos they were airing was his stuff from the 80's. I didn't get 2 watch hours of it, but it seemed like the same few videos got play. They did play "You Rock My World" but it seemed like all they played were the videos from Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad. Other than that, Black or White, Give Into Me, Remember The Time, You Are Not Alone, and You Are Not Alone were the only videos they played. Where was In The Closet, Who Is It, They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow, Blood Is On The Dance Floor, etc. His did so much more than they wanted 2 air. Let's see Michael rock out for 2009 so the world knows what they lost. There is definitely lots of footage that was taped. I was watching some new thing and it had lots of footage of the dancers working, rehearsing and meeting MJ.