JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

UK Catz, What Do You Think of Tim Westood?

Ataraxia

• Members

I'll be blunt- I hate the man. I really do. He does nothing for UK Hip-Hop (granted, a majority of it is garbage, but that's because the media portrays the crap for what it is). What about the hungry, upcoming emcees? He does nothing for the streets. Westwood is a radio DJ for one of the prime radio stations in the UK, and all he does is worship the likes of Eminem, G-Unit, etc.

And the way the dude talks just plain annoys me.

KRS-One had a lot to say about the man a few years back, when Westwood invited the Hip-Hop activist on his show- but only after his record sales had gone through the roof:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A115BE18DD4A4D8F&search_query=krs+one+westwood

He ruined Pimp My Ride UK.

I dont like him either, like you said, for a UK DJ he doesnt do much for the up and comers. I dont listen to his radio show much, but when I have it's been filled with already established artists from the US and the occassional already popular UK artists.

But, I wouldn't say the majority of UK hip hop is garbage, i'd say the majority of commercially established UK hip hop is garbage. Much like hip hop in general. We have a lot of great emcees out there, and a lot that have had longevity but get overlooked, so not many people have heard of them. I dont think the UK is any different to any other country in terms of quality hip hop, it's just not as popular or as establish at as the US and their rappers are.

But yeah, not a fan of Westwood.

See Westwood annoys the heck out of me but he does show a lot of love to hip hop and also UK hip hop. His shows that he puts on youtube have an array of British artists on there doing their thing. Granted he speaks like he has no sense and his next birthday will be his 52nd but he has been an outlet for artists to showcase their skills.

To me it only seems like the public that dislike him. The industry seem to have nothing but love for him

See Westwood annoys the heck out of me but he does show a lot of love to hip hop and also UK hip hop. His shows that he puts on youtube have an array of British artists on there doing their thing. Granted he speaks like he has no sense and his next birthday will be his 52nd but he has been an outlet for artists to showcase their skills.

To me it only seems like the public that dislike him. The industry seem to have nothing but love for him

Thats true actually, he is a good source to showcase ya skills and I think a lot of artists popularity rises when they've been on his show. He's actually doing big things with Giggs these days too, so he deserves some props for his contributions to the industry. I'd just like to see him using his clout to bring up some newer talent, instead of having his main focus on somewhat already established artists.

• Members

i cant stand him either. Ive tried to listen his show but he plays explosions and glass smashing every 5 seconds i cant hear the music. He does seem to have a lot of love for JJFP. Will did some great freestyles in 2005.

That's Westwoods concept of mixing.

A real DJ, eh? :blink:

Westwood has history, used to be a big underground Radio DJ back in the day, he helped a lot of artists back in the day and now is just reaping the rewards. I have nothing against him.

I don't really know anything about him other than that he has been doing his thing for a long time. The most i've ever heard from him was the JJ+FP interviews. He seemed kinda funny and kinda annoying.