JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Today's music sucks

analogue

Last night i was listening to the radio and every night at 1:00am they play ''Classic hour'' and within that hour they play songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I got really upset when i was listening to it, not because those songs are bad but i was upset at the fact that today's music is just a big pile of rubbish and everytime i listen to the old school classics i always think to myself ''Why can't music be like this today''?

I'm not just talking about Hip Hop i'm talking about all styles of music and IMO if you listen to music from 10/20 years ago and then listen to today's music you can see a huge decline in quality. Now don't get me wrong there are some great artists out now but the only problem is that if you want good music these days you really have to look for it and i agree with what Brakes said on one of the podcasts that you shouldn't have to go looking for good music, good music should just be there when you switch on the TV.

Yes in the past you did have silly artists but back then noone took them seriously. They had a number 1 hit and then they fizzled out and back then it was the real artists who got all the respect but now it seems to have gone full circle where the silly artists get all the respect and the real artists get slept on

I'd have to agree with you. Though i don't think it's necessarily that people can't sing for me it's mostly what people sing about. Everyone seems to sound the same while if you look at great musicians of the past, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and thats not even scratching the surface, they all can sing but they all were unique in their own way. And i completely agree with the sentiment that no one should have to look for good music, I've done that more then once. On a side note i wrote something with the same title as this thread back in june, basically ranting about how I don't always like todays music, so i figure i might as well share it.

Maybe it’s just me but music today has just been letting me down. When will I hear music that will make Beethoven roll over. When will I turn on music in the midnight hour and hear some sweet soul music. When will I turn on the radio and be all shook up instead of making me want to shout. Maybe I wasn’t born under a bad sign, maybe just a bad time, when will the singers of new show the rockers of old some respect. It seems like people today got no time to sit and listen to what’s being played. What happened to the good old days of traviln’ bands on their way to the Promised Land. Oh boy! I’ll admit I ain’t too proud to beg for some good old music. It’s true that today’s music ain’t got the same soul as that old time rock and roll. Just ask the likes of Maybellene, Peggy Sue, Tulane, Long Tall Sally, Mustang Sally, and Charlie Brown. It’s like I’m cutting green onions and need to wipe my tears with some Chantilly lace. Maybe I just can’t get no satisfaction, but until I hear something good, I’m walkin’ because I’ve got the key to the highway, but until then I’ll keep rocking to my rock and roll music . Listen People, ain’t that a shame that we’re in a ball of confusion as far as music is concerned. But I’m hooked on a feeling that a change is gonna come.

I read somewhere that described it like this:

It's natural to look back at older music and conclude that modern music is bad by comparison. The reason is that all the bad stuff from the past gets forgotten, so all you look back at is the outstanding stuff. Forty years from now you won't be looking back at Mike Jones. You'll be looking back at Outkast and saying "Man, they where great!"

I think that explains a lot of my dissatisfaction anyays.

However, Big Ben gets some serious props for bringing up Chantilly Lace!

Edited by Schnazz

It's natural to look back at older music and conclude that modern music is bad by comparison. The reason is that all the bad stuff from the past gets forgotten, so all you look back at is the outstanding stuff. Forty years from now you won't be looking back at Mike Jones. You'll be looking back at Outkast and saying "Man, they where great!"

Thanks much. But I think I would have to disagree to a point that we'll look back at old music and think it's good. My bone for the most part in todays music is that what was good back then, is still good today but just doesn't get any play, if that makes any sense. I mean the old rockers can still release new music and have it be enjoyable, such as Jerry lee Lewis - Last man Standing, Temptations _ Still tempting and a couple of others. The Problem is that though millions of people may like their music unless you actively go out and search for it you'll never hear about it. I never would have found out about those two albums unless I got bored and did a google search to see what they were up to. Now I make it habit to do so. Any who, i think I've just posted more then i usually have with all my old posts combined.

Yeah, i love 90's music and i think its mainly to do with that i grew up in the 90's. If u ask your parents what the best years for music were they will say 60's and 70's. I think when it gets to 2010 we will looks back at the noughties and think, i wish music could be like it was then.

I think there are a few good artists out right now, but mostly what i hear on the radio is trash, you really do have to search for good music, i have so many brilliant albums that didnt sell so well.

In the 2010's are we all gonna look back on artists like Bow Wow and say ''Oh i miss that kind of music''. I can't see it myself lol

Some might. Artists are only good or bad by opinion.

nahhh if i sing it's bad :D

for real i think the 90' was really better from now ,still got dope stuff now just dont listen the mainstream radio :))amanda diva is about to blow btw (:

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

In the 2010's are we all gonna look back on artists like Bow Wow and say ''Oh i miss that kind of music''. I can't see it myself lol

You aren't a music artist though.

I agree, its all how about your opinion on whats good or bad music. Like many hip hop fans love kanye west's music...and I really don't like his music. So to me, his music is bad, but to others, its great.

if i make some music now i am ,but still gonna be bad ,think somethimes man haha :))

peaceee!

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

if i make some music now i am ,but still gonna be bad ,think somethimes man haha :))

peaceee!

Thats still an opinion though, you think it's bad, others may not.

peaceee!

Thats still an opinion though, you think it's bad, others may not.

so what u saying there is no true ?! it's just opinion ,intesesting ...cool

I'm saying, while we complain about how bad certain artists are, there is obviously people out there who like what the do, and through the material released, artists continue to cater to that audience. I think 50 cent is wack, Lil Wayne is wack...etc. But they sell records because they release music that the commercial audience wants to hear. So the problem isn't the artist and the music they make, the problem is the audience they have that want to continue listening to the music. A&R's want to make money, music is a business, and you cater to the audience and their preferences.