JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Heavy D - Nuttin But Love

Hero1

The dope thing about this album was that it was a MONSTER. It had hits left and right and got crazy love...in the midst of everybody trying to be gangsta. Don't get me wrong, I was listening to Snoop back then and I recognize Snoop's work at great stuff. When I go back to listening to "old" music, you better believe this album (as all of of Hev's music), I pull Nuttin' But Love out much more often. It's a much better "feel good" vibe to it and I can relate to it today just as much as I did back in 1994. I can only relate to Snoop's, Dre's, Cube's music to a certain extent. And there are things in their music I could relate to more back then than I can now.

The video for "Nuttin' But Love" was even larger. Tim put it at the top of this thread. The girls in the video are diverse and beautiful. The colors are vibrant and the video is just fun.

The remix for Black Coffee also did well and the ladies loved it. Heavy always respected the ladies and that's why they loved him, regardless of him being overweight, having a chipped tooth, and a sometimes lazy eye.

As the album winded down, he dropped Pete Rock produced "Sex Wit You" which got love from the Yo! MTV Raps crowd.

Just a classic album and every joint on the album is as dope as the singles.

Here is one of my favs off the album...The beat, the scratches, the subject matter, his flow, the hook...just dope.

He released "This Is Your Night" overseas but I don't really remember it here in the US. It may have been on the radio. I have some import singles with club mixes of this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBXdrmrqjY4

He finished the album with "Lord's Prayer" which featured his up and coming group Soul IV Real on vocals. The album winded down over a year after it got started. As Nuttin' But Love started to wind down, he pushed Soul IV Real out on their own. "Candy Rain" was an undeniable smash which lead to an amazing R-N-B album. If you aren't familiar with it, check out these bad brothers.

Here's the Heavy D-channeled remix video...

And the follow up single...

On YouTube you can also find the "Ain't No Sunshine" video which has Heavy setting them up by having them audition for Andre Harrell who Heavy replaced as the head of Uptown Records just years later. "If You Want It" was also a respectable hit for the group. I have the single but I don't recall a video for it. I remember them performing it on Soul Train tho.'

Heavy D has always been one of those emcees that regularly gets brought up on this board. He came out at the same time as JJ+FP and has stayed relevant over the years. He's a genuinely loved and respected artist.

One other joint I remembered from this era was his work with Monifah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kECFp6G2SQ&feature=fvst

I was just focusing on the 1994-1995 era for Hev's career with this post. There's so much more to be reflected on.

I'm curious about everyone else's memories when it comes to the Nuttin' But Love era...even if you are just now visiting it.

• 1 year later...

I think I just found a gem. I'm not sure if this is a song that didn't make it on the Nuttin' But Love album or if it's a remix of "Nuttin' But Love"....but to me is a totally different song. I just purchased the vinyl promo single because this is dope!!