JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Voice Article

• Admin

Jeff's still Jazzing

BY Davina Morris

Few hip-hop icons walk the line between mass appeal and grass-roots love as well as DJ Jazzy Jeff.

With his partner Will, he became the first hip-hop act to win a Grammy, starred in the unforgettable Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, and was one of the few hip-hop acts to play Live8. On his lonesome, his Touch of Jazz crew have been instrumental in the careers of Floetry, Jill Scott and Musiq Soulchild. In 2002, his debut solo album, The Magnificent, proved the success of the aforementioned acts wasn't a fluke. The Hip-Hop Forever mix tapes didn't hurt either. His latest album, The Return Of The Magnificent, is out this week and features emcees like Rhymefest, Method Man, and Big Daddy Kane and singers like Raheem Devaughn, among others.

There's a pretty impressive guestlist on this album. Was there anyone you wanted to guest on the record and, for whatever reason, it didn't work out?

One of the first people I called was Krs-One. I really wanted to do a Jazzy Jeff/Krs-One record and it was a scheduling thing. Every time he was in the UK, I was home, and then I was in the UK and he was home. We just kept missing each other. I'm a huge Krs-One fan. Krs has been pretty much a staple in hip hop and preaching what hip-hop is about and I think we need those people and I kinda wanted to have him on the record because I'm very interested in just having a sit down conversation about music in general, hip hop and the whole thing. He and I have seen a lot, we've seen a lot of changes and we're still out there actively trying to keep hip hop out.

Jeff 'n' Fess, the remake of Gangstarr's Manifest, is a definite standout tune.

That was always one of my favourite records, it's funny 'cos I called Preem like 'you're not mad', he's like 'nah'. Rhymefest did his thing on it, he sat down and studied and wrote what he needed to write and just made it happen.

Of the soul tunes, Raheem Devaughn's My Soul Ain't For Sale is probably the best.

The crazy thing is that song has so much significance 'cos it was while we were recording that song that I got the news that J Dilla had passed. It was on that day. That's why we tagged the 'Rest In Peace J Dee' on the end because I think J Dee really personified someone who wasn't going to change who he was to get that success.

How important is it that this record is released on an independent label like BBE. Is it important?

You know what's funny? I don't think it's important that it's on an independent label as much as an independent label was the form that would give me the creative freedom to make the record I want. I've found a situation where someone tells me "go make the records that you make". I'm extremely happy with the opportunities that BBE have given me. It would have been cool ifSony Music had given people the opportunity to do that. Or Arista, or some of these big companies. Unfortunately, that's not where the industry is right now.

Every artiste has two issues with their record company: money and creative freedom. And what happens is sometimes people don't know what's more important. That's where the confusion comes in. Sometimes it's like: "the record company gon' give me a half a million dollars upfront and put money in my pocket and spend money on this video. I may not get any more money from this record company at all. I may be doing all this work and showcasing my talent to end up with literally five per cent of the pie when I do 90 per cent of the work." That's how the music industry has always been set up.

What sort of changes have you noticed the most in hip hop over the years?

No ones is fans of groups anymore. Jay Z has fans. Nas has fans. But a lot of these guys that I like, like T.I? I'm not sure if T.I has fans as much as them. T.I may have fans that he gained from themovie (ATL). But T.I's music fans are only fans if he has a hit out and it's not fair. 'Cos we all know; any artiste from Krs One to Rakim to Public Enemy. They all did records that some of them we didn't like them as much as we liked the others. But we rode with them.

You must have some great memories of playing Live8?

That was probably one of the most incredible moments of my career. Live8 was in Philadelphia. So let alone it was in my hometown, let alone we were onstage in front of one million people. I couldn't control myself. I'm standing onstage looking out and there's a million people in front of me. What can you do? This is yourhometown, you do Summertime and you do The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air theme and everybody just goes crazy.

Return Of The Magnificent is out June 4 on BBE.

Published: 30 May 2007

Source: http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=11396

:signthankspin: