JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DA INDUSTRY

So i waz listening 2 The Michael Bayston Show on 96.3 WHUR. The station plays classic soul, R-N-B and neo soul. Michael Bayston takes on all topics from entertainment, life, etc. The other day he waz having a show on commercial rap. As usual, he mentioned how artists still throw the N-word around like crazy after all these years and how they carelessly drop cuss words. During the show, he had Eshe from Arrested Development and Chubb Rock on the show. And one of MC Lyte's dancers from back in the day called in.

Eshe talked about how AD is considered irrelevant simply because they make positive music. Chubb Rock mentioned how some of these commercial rappers we diss actually do want 2 make quality music that has a purpose, but that some of the alter their style to do what their label wants so they can provide for their families. Eshe went on to say how that happened back in the 90's to an extent and how she was talking to "a popular emcee" from back in the day who said he never wanted to record alot of the music that appeared on his albums. Chubb Rock said that when a label is threatening 2 ignore u or shelve u, u'll alter your music to get spins, in hopes of getting 2 do things your way after u blow up...but that never happens cuz then lables wanna hold u 2 the standard u set 4 yourself when u were selling out. Another comment waz made that put BET on blast for openly ignoring real music 2 force feed trash like 50 Cent to listeners. They also talked about how u can't really request music on the radio anymore cuz they give u short list of what u can request since they are determined 2 play the same 10 songs all day long.

During the show they played classics from Eric B + Rakim, Doug E. Fresh + The Get Fresh Crew, Public Enemy, Slick Rick and also JJ+FP. Mike waz like, do any other radio stations wanna play feel-good music and Hip-Hop with clean lyrics? Right then "Summertime" came on and he said "Some people tried to clown Will Smith back in the day...but now he's shuttin' it down!"

• Admin

I agree with everything said! Its funny when I was in Miami I went through like 30 stations playing nothing but garbage before I found this soul/neo-soul/jazz station that actually played good music.. Maybe those guys can help keep hip-hop alive.. why can't we have old school hip-hop stations?

The first generation of hip-hop are now in their 30's & 40's and there is going to be a demand for an "old-school" station that plays hip-hop & R&B from the 80's and early 90's. Hip-hop is at a crossroads because it's been around for a generation. Old heads like myself(and younger heads like Tim, AJ, Max and others) are what's going to be keep hip-hop alive.

We all know this stuff that comes out now is straight garbage but it's for the kids. The problem is that these kids don't respect history or life in general. It's going to take the older generation of hip-hop to keep it going. We are going to have to support the Jazzy Jeffs, the Commons, Mos Defs, Talib Kweli of the industry because the industry is not interested in real hip-hop.

Yeah, that's how i always looked at it. Like Tim mentioned tho'...i've been waiting for the 1st Old School/Retro Hip-Hop/R-N-B station that plays strictly 80's thru' mid-90's Hip-Hop and R-N-B. U know it's coming. Maybe in the big cities 1st...then in others.

The closest thing around the Pittsburgh area, and I'm just southwest of that, is they play all older stuff on Sunday. A few times during the week around lunch hour, they do "old school". BET's ol' school is ridiculous. They'll play a Bow Wow joint from just a year or two ago. Or something of the sorts. Yes. From 2007 to 2004. That makes me feel so so old. The music will change. Sales are getting worse for what labels claim to be "hit records". These types of conversations do get tired. And besides, Will's got money. Talking bout "Wendy Williams better leave me alone, before I buy your radio station and send you home." Why can't he just do that then? Or something of the sorts? Is internet or satellite radio even serious enough to help this change?

Edited by mfuqua23