JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MaxFly

Yeah, it was a great movie... I left the theater wanting to dropkick an usher, stick my umbrella in his chest, and yell, "For Sparta!!!!!"

I didn't have anything that would substitute as a shield though, so I put the urge aside... but yeah, great movie...

I think the look of the movie is very impressive. I'm not really in2 this kinda movie so i'll pass til it hits video. One of my friends saw it and loved it. He said that alot of people wouldn't be able let it all sink-in in just 1 viewing.

the movie wasn't that good, in my opinion. I mean, I did see it from the second row, which sucked. and seeing a male butt, that close up, isn't plesant, lol.

but seriously, I really found the effects to be annoying and repeat a lot. I know its the style and all. But I don't like that style...oh well.

Yeah, ladies loved the movie for obvious reasons... but if there isn't enough violence in the movies for some of you guys, I don't know what to say. The plot was pretty stringent, and considering the movie is loosly based on actual historical events, that's understandable... The action was top notch, and the stylized settings really lent it that comic book feel that the director was going for... I've heard people complain about the blood looking fake, but that was done intentionally... both for the comic book feel, and from what I understand, if the blood had been done realistically, either the number of fight scenes that could have been shown would have had to have been dramatically decreased or the movie would have had to accept an NC-17 rating. People have complained that some of the speeches were over the top as well, but I thought they were great.

"This is where WE hold them! This is where WE fight! This is where THEY die! Remember this day men, for it will be yours for all time!"

"Spartans, lay down your weapons!" Persian gets speared from distance and falls off his horse...

"Persians, come and get them!"

"Give them NOTHING, but take from them...... EVERYTHING!!!" (that's gangsta...)

Narrator:

"Dawn. Whips crack. Barbarians howl. Those behind cry FORWARD!!!!! Those in front cry BACK!!!!!!"

Saw it last night. Wasn't really my type of movie, but it was ok. The fighting scenes were pretty cool but they were very gory. I liked The Shooter a lot more then this movie. I would definitely recommend The Shooter as the movie to see.

Overrated in my opinion. It's cool to see and probably worth it, but the movie has no redeeming value, and no substance. I like the style it's shot in, but like Sin City, no substance. I also didn't care for the focus on these few white Spartan soldiers being so brave and attacking mostly black Persian soldiers. I'm suprised more people haven't written off the movie as a little prejudiced. Anyways, there are some out there bound to LOVE this movie, and I thought it was OK and better than Sin City (which I really didn't care for in the first place).

Edited by Hymn Strings

Overrated in my opinion. It's cool to see and probably worth it, but the movie has no redeeming value, and no substance. I like the style it's shot in, but like Sin City, no substance. I also didn't care for the focus on these few white Spartan soldiers being so brave and attacking mostly black Persian soldiers. I'm suprised more people haven't written off the movie as a little prejudiced. Anyways, there are some out there bound to LOVE this movie, and I thought it was OK and better than Sin City (which I really didn't care for in the first place).

I've heard all of these criticisms as well... first, let me say that this was primarily an action movie based almost exactly on Frank Miller's comic book. No one should have gone hoping to see Gladiator... or, for that matter, Alexander...

The stylized feel of the movie was striking, and if the movie did need a redeeming quality (which it doesn't), the cinematography alone would be enough. As for substance, I'm not sure what we were looking for, but there's only so much one can do with such a fixed plot and a fixed time contraint. The 1962 version was full of "substance" and character development, and is still one of the worst movies I've ever seen. On the other hand, 300 is great if you take it for what it is.

As for the perceived prejudice... we have to dig into our history. Much of the Persian army was made up of asian, middle eastern and african slaves who had been enslaved and forced into service under Persian rule. If the Persian army had been made up of mostly white actors, people would instead be complaining about a lack of accuracy.

Incidentally, I really didn't like Sin City either.