JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What kind of lyrics do you prefer?

analogue

Lyrics  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of lyrics do you prefer?

• Complex lyics with loads of big complex words
    • Simple straight to the point lyrics

Well a bit of both I guess...like if you are going to make straight Braggadocio style hip-hop you need to have a little complexity in there...But if you have a dope concept, and you manage to make it flow well, I guess you do not require a bunch of complex multisyllabic's in there.

I like strait to the point lyrics,...

half the tyme with alla those complex lyrics, some people (including meeee) dont know what the artist is talking about if we dont even know the meaning of the word! lol PPL may be like, "YO, thats hott!. Dont know what he talkin bout, but still tho!" lol

I like to see more effort in creativity in the artist's lyrical flow. Complex words can bee looked up in a book, but THAT FLOW is what polishes up the mix...

xoxo,

cookie

Biggie, Big Pun.. Those guys were two of the most (If not the most) complex lyrcists, but they'r lyrics allways were straight to the point (Wether you agree with they'r subjects or not doesnt change that). That's pure genious.

Edited by Turntable

Sometimes i think more simple lyrics can have a bigger effect than complex lyrics. Take Tell me why for example the lyrics on there arnt really complex but it has great effect on the listener

Sometimes the simpiler it is the more effective it is

i like a bit of both ,depending on my mood, with straight to the point lyrics u get what the artist is trying to say straight away, but with complex lyrics it takes a few listens, which is good coz u get something new from the song everytime. It took me a while to figure out "the rain", i was only 15 at the time tho.

I can't say i prefer one over the other. Different moods need different soundtracks in life. Overall, i admire people who can write good songs. The craft of putting words 2gether in a creative way is my main thing. I'd won't respect an artist who doesn't sound like they've ever taken and english class.

When it comes 2 heavy subject matter and deep feelings, i think stuff like FP's "Tell Me Why" and 2Pac's "Brendas Got A Baby" are perfect examples of how songs like that are done right. A feel that some artists do them just as a PR move and they come off 1 demintional and fake...like Jadakiss' "Why."

Straight party joints come in all different shapes and sizes tho.' Why the subject matter isn't that creative, it's the process of writing it that makes the song lyrically strong or poor. Busta Rhymes and LL come 2 mind when it comes 2 good party joints. They lyric standard is held very high even tho' the song is just about partying or living it up.

When i think of emcees who can put 2gether good complex rhymes, i think of KRS-One and Wyclef. I don't really think Big Pun or B.I.G. were complex at all. I think B.I.G. had a flow that waz very good tho.' Why i never liked his voice or thought his lyrics were very good, his flow waz rhythmically musical. I haven't heard anything that complex on the radio in years. Everyone on the radio is VERY overrated.

Another thing i really hate is idiot rappers who just freestyle or write crappy rhymes that have no subject matter and call it a song. Why i don't prefer just one style of lyrics, i think anyone who can only do party joints or club joints is weak. If u really don't have ANYTHING important or thought provoking 2 say, why do u even wanna write lyrics?