JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Evolution of Robin Thicke

Hero1

• Admin

topdawgs been on this album for a while now.. I loved that brand new jones track a few years ago.. and the I wanna love you girl single with pharrell is great.. Anyway I finally checked out the album..and it is indeed fantastic!! :wickedwisdom: :wickedwisdom: :wickedwisdom: Thanks for the reccomendation TD.. who would have thought the son of the dad on growing pains would make the best soul album of the year..

• Admin

The interesting thing about Robin's album is that there are about 5 songs that were on the advance that didn't make it to the retail release that are just great. If I get some time, I'll upload them and share them for everybody.

I've read reviews about that..apparently they are the best tracks that he left off!

Here are the seven songs that didn't get added to the album. Let me know if I messed up since this is my first time uploading files to share.

Robin Thicke - Against The World

Robin Thicke - Spend The Night With Me

Robin Thicke - In My Dreams

Robin Thicke - U Center Me

Robin Thicke - High School Man

Robin Thicke - Threesome

Robin Thicke - I'm Not Loving You

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

great interview

He may have celebrity parents, but Robin Thicke's musical ascent has been hard won. The son of actors Alan Thicke and Gloria Loring is a self-taught musician who started off in his teens writing songs for Brandy and Brian McKnight, then suffered a career-stalling 2002 record debut.

But this week he has Billboard's No. 5 album and No. 1 R&B/Hip-Hop song courtesy of The Evolution of Robin Thicke, a collection of soulful songs showcasing his dreamy falsetto and that features Lil' Wayne and Pharrell.

The Star caught up with the 29-year-old artist – amiable and battling laryngitis – in a Toronto hotel suite the day after his sold-out Mod Club gig.

Q Your bio describes the last two years of your life as "tumultuous." How so?

A The first album becoming a critical success, but commercial failure; then the label stopped sending cheques for me to record my new album, because they didn't believe in my marketability, so I was going into debt; and my wife (Paula Patton) was doing sex scenes in Idlewild with (Outkast's Andre Benjamin) who had won album of the year. I was dealing with insecurities as an artist, as a man and as a lover.

Q What was the first sign that this album was blowing up?

A About six weeks ago I hit the Top 20 of album sales and simultaneously hit No. 1 on the Urban AC chart. Two weeks later, I set the record for the most spins ever on that format. Then every day I started getting good-news calls. Even though to the consumer it might seem like everything was good since the album came out in October, I was pretty much thinking, `I'm still dead in the water,' because the label wasn't spending any money on promotion.

QHow did you keep the faith?

A I was still really insecure, but New Year's Eve I did a show in Miami for a very cool, sexy crowd, the hippest of the hip and...

Q Who was there?

A Not to name drop, but let's just say T.I. was in the front row pumping it up and Lindsay Lohan did the countdown. Here I was at the hot hotel in Miami Beach and with my album still at No.95 and I said, `You know what, Rob? You have to let it go. Maybe you'll never be a star, but you love your music and these people are your friends and they support you even though you don't have a hit.' There was something kind of cleansing about coming to terms with that. A couple weeks later, I had a No.1 song.

Q Didn't your upbringing expose you to the challenges of showbiz?

A I don't think anything can prepare you for the insecurities of this business. I had to love myself before success found me. I wrote all these songs on my album about believing in myself. That's why it's called Evolution; it's not just some corny catchy phrase. I really evolved as a human being and learned be happy with myself even though I wasn't a big something.

Q How did you connect with Lil' Wayne?

A He remade "Shooter" from my first album and we shot a video for it. It became a video hit and he gave me so much credibility in the community.

Q What community is that?

A The hip-hop community. All the hip-hop heads go, `You're that dude with Lil' Wayne.' 'Cause they were like, `What is Lil' Wayne doing with a white boy? A real white boy, not a hip-hop white boy, but a white boy who looks like a white boy?

Q I guess your record company finally figured out your niche?

A It turns out that grown black women became my audience. I've been with a black woman for 10 years and I'm a very soulful human being. People have this tendency to (say) soul or urban ... because they just don't want to say `black' and `white'... People want to say, `You're blue-eyed soul, you're R&B' – you can call me whatever you want; I make music I love.

Q Are you interested in acting?

A I was never any good at it. I only did it so I could be around girls on the set and put a few bucks in my pocket when I was a teenager. My last role was as a pizza delivery boy on my dad's show Hope & Gloria. I was so nervous and embarrassed.

Q What's with all those liner-note photos of you smoking cigarettes?

A I've been smoking over 10 years and I just quit six days ago for the fourth time. This is the first time that smoking has affected my livelihood. ... I'm not going to let it get in the way of my dream.

Q What's the best part of your new success?

A I hear four or five times a week from people who say that "Angels" or "Lost Without U" is going to be their wedding song. To have sat at home ... making music and wondering, `Is anyone going to hear this? Is anyone going to feel what I feel?' Sometimes when I'd get the first line of a song, I'd just start crying, because I felt it in my heart. To know that I'm making other people cry and feel, I can't explain my gratitude.

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/189941

Robin Thicke's album and success is proof that good music will find its way to the people. It was sheer word-of-mouth that kept his album in the top 100 before "the mainstream audience" grabbed a hold of it. I really like the fact that he stuck to his guns and made the music he wanted to make instead of dumbing down for the purpose of just selling records. A lot of rappers might want to take advice from Robin.

Yeah, it's definitly an accomplishment that he's gotten the success he has. I saw him do his thing on Letterman the other day. And my local Hip-Hop/R-N-B station that only plays garbage started actually playing "Lost Without You" just 2 or 3 weeks ago...ha ha. I've been trying 2 track down the sampler with the songs he ended up not putting on the album for awhile now.