JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Radio Station GM talks Michael Jackson

TopDawg14

In Thursday's edition of the Chicago Sun-Times, Elroy Smith, program director & GM of WGCI-FM(which won the Marconi award for best urban radio station in the country) had some comments about Michael Jackson and his impending album. At one point in the interview he had this to say about Michael:

''I'm not going to play Michael Jackson because it's Michael Jackson,'' Smith said. ''But if it has an urban flair to it, if it has potential, oh yeah, we will truly give it a shot.''

Now maybe it's just me but I took offense to this statement. Despite his much-publicized antics this dude is a musical genius. His Thriller album has now sold 104 million copies worldwide. It sounds to me, if you read between the lines, that if it's not "radio-friendly" then he's not going to put MJ on the playlist. This is the problem with radio stations now. Give the people the choice of whether or not the music is good.

Am I the only one who sees this statement as a shot at Michael?

BTW you can read the whole interview here.

Well emptv didn't want to play any of Janet's videos either but they got no problem playing Jay-Z and Ciara all day, I don't know what the hell's going on

Edited by bigted

I don't think it's gonna really that hard for Michael Jackson to be better than what's getting played now, radio don't really play what's good

I don't see anything wrong with that. He's not dissin him. Whether you like what's on the radio or Not, the Exec at a station shouldn't HAVE to play something just because of who the artist is.

Though I remember what some stations used to do around here. They'd play a new song once, and then after that, take calls and ask people if it should be put on rotation, or trashed...If it got voted trash it never was put on rotation..It'd come up every now and then though.

Edited by Vipa