JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NICK LACHEY + JESSICA SIMPSON SETTLE MONEY DISPUTE

JumpinJack AJ

I may be the only person on this board who actually like both Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson, but incase i'm not, here's an article i came about. Those who like Hollywood gossip will be interested. All i can say is that Nick is a class act.

----------------------------

Jessica and Nick Settle Money Dispute

Posted Sep 5th 2006 4:55PM by Harvey Levin

TMZ has learned that Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey have divided up the assets in their marriage, and Nick agreed to less than his share in order to avoid an ugly court fight.

The couple amassed a fortune during their three-year marriage, in no small part because of their MTV reality show "Newlyweds" and the avalanche of endorsements and other deals that followed. Jessica refused to sign a prenuptial agreement, so under California law the assets -- estimated at $36 million -- are to be divided equally. So Jessica and Nick should each get $18.

Nick will take significantly more than the $1.5 million, but considerably less than 50%

As TMZ first reported, Jessica (we're told at the behest of her dad, Joe Simpson) offered Nick a relatively measly $1.5 million to walk away from the marriage. Sources say Joe Simpson believed Nick didn't have the stomach to put up a fight over money. Nevertheless, Nick rejected the offer and the former sweethearts decided to make their divorce final and try to hammer out a property settlement.

Sources say in the property settlement -- which has not yet been filed in court -- Nick will take significantly more than the $1.5 million, but considerably less than 50% of what he and Jessica earned during the marriage. Two sources in Nick's camp made it clear to TMZ that Lachey agreed to end the dispute because he does not want to hurt anyone in a contentious court battle.

Ironically last week, a reporter on a red carpet relayed a message from Joe and Jessica Simpson to Nick: "They love you. You're still part of the family." Nick blanched and said "Well, good, that's nice to hear...." The reporter persisted "...Jessica will always love you." Nick's classic reply: "Okay, then!"

I'm not really a big fan of either Jessica or Nick but Nick deserves 50% of the money. If Nick never married Jessica, MTV wouldn't have done that show and she probably would not have blown up.

Personally, Nick is a pretty cool dude and he was probably too nice of a guy to fight this out. I would have have fought for every penny. I mean it's not as if Jessica had Beyonce-type status when that Newlyweds show started. She was looking to anything to breath life into her sagging career.

I just think Nick got the shaft.

If it wasn't for the huge success that Nick his having with his album, he might have fought 4 the money just 2 get by. But i think Nick knows money isn't everything. I've been in a situation where i settled for less than what i deserve simply becuz the negativity and drama wazn't worth it. In life, there are battles worth fighting and there are battles NOT worth fighting. I think that was his attitude towards the whole thing.

what was their reason for divorce anyways?

Doing the show Newlyweds interfered with their marriage. After letting cameras follow them around so long, they stared amping up their personalities so much that they kinda started becoming "characters" even when they were alone. My take on it is that the show drained alot out of their relationship and then all the trash tabloid press surrounding them 24/7 took it's toll. Apparently the divorce thing came outta no where and blindsided Nick (i can relate to that). He wanted to fix it, she didn't feel they could. After time apart, right b4 the divorce was final, Jessica apparently had second thoughts and wanted to fix things. But after some soulsearching, Nick felt that it's what she wanted, he wasn't going to turn it around even tho' he's said he doesn't know when he'll totally get over her.

I think that's the best way 2 sum it up in a short paragraph.

Yeah this is a good move on Nick's part to do this, not really a fan of his but this is good to see him make this move with the right intentions

Hes heartbroken that he lost Jessica so he doesnt give a damn if he has 100 million or 100 bucks at the moment, And personally i think its unlucky, Jessica is a beautiful woman but found beauty in the inside of her...he just wants to move on.