JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Interscope Records...

TopDawg14

I understand what your saying Turntable, but that doesn't really make it right. These same dudes could be selling drugs and destroying minds just as easy. Sure, we can "Die Trying", but it doesn't necessarily have to be "Get Rich". There's that triple threat trap of 'drugs, basketball, and rap'. I've been effected by all 3 in some way, but that's another story. Of course it's not always that easy to just get an education. It's easy to turn it away tho, and that seems to be what people are doing.

In an early interview I read that Pac did, he was fairly success as a rap artist, but even he know not everybody should do that because there is better things to do. I think that goes back to Hip Hop being a lifestyle, and not just a business. You gotta figure, hundreds of people were involve in hip hop even before someone came to the realization "hey, we can make money off this". So now, the numbers are overwhelming because of that. Earn millions for doing "gangsta stuff"? Pretty much like being in a movie like 'Scarface' or 'Gangsters of New York'. In real life, if somebody stops you with a gangsta pose with a gun in your face, your not going to be in awe, you'll more than likely be in fear. It's seems hard to understand the fascination. Just watch, in another 5-10 years, let's see what the likes of these guys will be saying. Matter fact, look at Ice T and Ice Cube. Even Too Short. And compare them to these new age gangsta guys in their future. There will be a difference. (*I didn't edit but one word*)

Edited by mfuqua23

Well the thing is like I said if an artist just follows what's hot out there at the moment, they're really short changing themselves to have a short career, maybe sell a lot in a short period but they don't leave much of a legacy and they'll end up feeling used like prostitutes, and now the artists who've been consistantly been true to themselves are the ones who've had long careers and still have fans checking for them when they do something new, real recognises real, and if you choose to sell out you're gonna pay the consequences later on, most artists today are like a quick high, they might leave thrills for a lil' while but they let down in a short while...

Well the thing is like I said if an artist just follows what's hot out there at the moment, they're really short changing themselves to have a short career, maybe sell a lot in a short period but they don't leave much of a legacy and they'll end up feeling used like prostitutes, and now the artists who've been consistantly been true to themselves are the ones who've had long careers and still have fans checking for them when they do something new, real recognises real, and if you choose to sell out you're gonna pay the consequences later on, most artists today are like a quick high, they might leave thrills for a lil' while but they let down in a short while...

Exactly. So dont worry about it.

Art immitates life really, they're many ways for people to sell out, more people want to be followers rather than leaders and that's why society is the way it is...

People who try to be real, like Rhymefest, Lupe..or to go the Gangsta way, J.R. Writer, Juelz, Cassidy etc. will stay. They are able to build up a long career if they wanna caus they dont pretend. Guys like 50, who are fooling the crouw right now (Cant say he`ll keep doing that. Think about it.. Dude just has 2 albums.) arent gonna stay. Look at Jigga or Ja Rule. They had times they dumbed, "2 double theyr dollars". But than they realised at teh end this aint gonna take them far and they partly went back tho what theyr supposed to be. The point is, 50 right now fools the crowd, and he earns millions with that. And I aint gotta problem with that.. If he keeps doing it like that he wont stay forever, and he just go retire earyl wiith his mils.. And if you ask me, let him decide. We`ll just wait and see.

Art immitates life really, they're many ways for people to sell out, more people want to be followers rather than leaders and that's why society is the way it is...

There's nothing wrong with being a follower. It's just a matter of who you're following.

people have beliefs and it's not up to us to change them..they believe what they want to believe, that's what makes all of us so unique. It's like u don't see to wack rapper #1s or to overhyped rapper #1s, because they are unique...oh and as far as interscope being **** as a label, so is every label u jus got to deal wit it.

There's nothing wrong with being a follower. It's just a matter of who you're following.

That's true, but a lot of people follow the wrong path and shortcut themselves which is what I was driving towards in the point I made there and of course there ain't many who want to be different and try something new 'cause they know that they're going against what most people do and they're afraid they'll be dissed for not following along what's hot to do....

Btw, I recently borrowed 50's autobiography from my local library and I gotta say after going through it I actually gained some respect for him as a person surprisingly, check some of these quotes he said in it, since we spend so much time criticising him on this site, I think we should read these quotes, you can't call him a studio gangsta either 'cause of all the rough experiences he's endured for most of his life and even when he started his musiccareer with his record deal at Columbia falling through right after getting shot,being dead broke for a while until he hit the mixtape circuit, he ain't frontin' if he raps about guns and crack in his songs 'cause that's all he knew:

"People want the truth. Even if they can't handle it, they want it. They may want to look at it as a story or music so they can distance themselves from it, but they want it. That's why people watch the news everynight. There's nothing good on the news. They'll throw in a little "good news" near the end, like something about a cat being saved from a tree. But before you hear the cat, you're going to learn that someone got shot and killed, an earthquake killed a couple of hundred people, and that whatever war is going on at the time is still going on and going hard. And you still watch. Why? Because you want the truth. You complain but you'll watch. Every night. The news always gets good ratings.

So I spread my news because no one will do it for me. I let you know that I survived nine bullets not to sell records, but because it's the truth..I haven't shown my scars on television to sell records, there are thoustands of people who will never get the opportunity to go on TV and tell you what happens in places where gunshots settle arguments, when you look at how my body healed, I want you to see the bodies of those who never healed, that's what I'm the poster child for and nothing else"

"Even though I don't like going to NYC announced, I'll never forget exactly where I came from and who helped me to get where I'm at now. I just got into the rap game and I don't want to turn my blessings into something negative where I can't recover. I believe in a higher power. I believe in right and wrong. I believe in God...But not everybody gets it. A lot of rappers will stand in front of you and tell you s--- they know damn well they never experienced...With me, 90 percent of my music is real, and only about 10 percent of it I'll embellish....I wouldn't have anything to write about if I didn't use my own experiences. You're being unfair if you tell me to come up with rhymes and not use what I came from, to put no part of me or anything that I've been through in the music. If I don't write about what's going on with me or what's going on in the 'hood, I ain't got nothing to say. The day 50 can't be real, that's when I'll say, "Thank you for support, it's been a pleasure- and I'll leave..."

"When artists get spoiled that's when they start slipping. They start believing their own hype. They get to be a place where they think that they shouldn't have to be outperforming anyone. That ain't me. The way I see it, regular people go to work everyday from nine to five, picking up boxes,hard labor, and you're telling me all I have to do is perform for 45 minutes on stage? F--- that, I'm getting out that mother-----, I need to be there everynight performing. It's a luxury to be in this buisiness.."

"Ask any hustler and they will say the same thing. "If there is more to be made, then I'm gonna be the one to make it." A hustler's attitude is: "they gonna get it somewhere, so it might as well be me. I may as well make them ends." "It" could be anything: drugs, music, clothes, drink, cars, or even hamburgers. People think that hustler's mentality is confined to the ghetto but that ain't true, America was founded on hustler's mentality. All the big names started out pushing something..."

"On the flip side, some people do music as a hobby, but it's more than that to me, to me it's everything, an opportunity to get away from the 'hood, to make a better life for my son, to do everything I wanted to do...Like I said before I believe in God, I didn't survive being shot nine times for nothing, I've got a purpose..."

Even with all that Ted, you can't necessarily jump to 50's side like that. There's that whole deal that he didn't actually write his book. And even if he did, whenever if ever I'd listen to his music, maybe the reason why he said what he said is understood, but that may not necessarily change the fact that I'd be into his music. In all honesty, I liked half of "The Massacre". Whether it be for production or decent lyrics. Not everybody is going to turn around and be into somebody. What artists have totally flipped their career in how they presented themselves? More than likely, very few.

And Ted, think about this. You were curious and checked out 50's book. Why? You know why. It's kinda like when conscious artists criticize the commercial pop artists. They can only say so much without knowing what's going on. So they are bound to tune in or continuously overhear things. And things that 50 said makes sense.

Well I don't really like his music that much still but at least I could understand why he does what he does now a lil' bit better, like what Will said when he won his AMA about how he doesn't consider 50 a "lost" artist living in the dark'cause there's truth to what he says in his songs, he ain't a studio gangsta making everything up when he never lived that life, that's who Will was going after in "Lost and Found" song, now I doubt that Will plays 50 in heavy rotation either

,the curiousity of wanting to read this book was to learn a lil' bit better why 50 does what he does,don't get confused this doesn't mean I'm on 50's side now at all, far from that,

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon, I'm more into thinking of course I need something to use as reference if he's still on top when I get in the game, it's like when teams study opponents on game film, lol...

Edited by bigted

I`d agree with yout Ted, if this would be after Get Rich Or Die Trying. But I just cant take this from 50 during the Massacre time. I agree, the Soundtrack was a step in the right drection and working with Mase, LL etc. might be good for him. But it still takes allot till he gets my respect back again.

"The day 50 can't be real, that's when I'll say, "Thank you for support, it's been a pleasure- and I'll leave..."

I`m sorry, but if he would be serius he would have said "bye" after The Massacre.

"You was hating on Ja caus him and Irv went Pop, and now your ass is running around singing the Candy Shop."

Now I dont mind him selling out for a while as long as he shuts up about it and as he trys to get back to beeing real.

Edited by Turntable

I think the book was written before "The Massacre" time and he definately predicted his own downfall with saying when rappers feel themselves too much their careers go down, you could see his popularity has been decreasing ever since his ego's been increasing, going on MTV when that album came outand saying "look at me my last album sold 12 million, i'm this, i'm that...", he later on predicted that his movie would do better at the boxoffice than "8 Mile" and it flopped,

he needs to step his game up before he could talk as much trash as he does,

I think the next album is gonna make or break his career really, that's why he's reaching out to work with LL 'cause he knows he needs help if he wants to stay in the game, LL has talked a lot of trash in his career saying that he's the baddest rapper in the game and he's the G.O.A.T. and has built a career that could justify those statements, 50 puts out wack stuff when he says he's hot so he ain't, that's the difference...

Edited by bigted

I think the book was written before "The Massacre" time and he definately predicted his own downfall with saying when rappers feel themselves too much their careers go down, you could see his popularity has been decreasing ever since his ego's been increasing, going on MTV when that album came outand saying "look at me my last album sold 12 million, i'm this, i'm that...", he later on predicted that his movie would do better at the boxoffice than "8 Mile" and it flopped,

he needs to step his game up before he could talk as much trash as he does,

I think the next album is gonna make or break his career really, that's why he's reaching out to work with LL 'cause he knows he needs help if he wants to stay in the game, LL has talked a lot of trash in his career saying that he's the baddest rapper in the game and he's the G.O.A.T. and has built a career that could justify those statements, 50 puts out wack stuff when he says he's hot so he ain't, that's the difference...

Yeah, I agree. The next Album is gonna be make or break.

Yeah 50's gonna have to start putting more effort into his music if he really wants to stay in the game, I mean you can't diss artists with more experience like Nas, Fat Joe, Jadakiss, and Ja Rule by putting out a garbage album to answer back to them and then when he went after his own artist Game he got burned quite a bit, hiscredability is now being on the balance,if he really cares about the music as much as he says he does he should have his ear to the streets to know that he needs to work harder to get to their level,he should be able to turn it around and if not we won't hear from him that much longer 'cause when more and more fans gets disinterested Interscope'll find another rapper to promote instead, btw I think he realises what he's doing 'cause I was reading recently in the allhiphop.com rumor section that he's considering leaving the rap game after his contract expires, I think he probably realises that he's ego is bringing him down and he'll probably be saying bye soon,but with all that money in the contract he won't just leave just yet, that'd be stupid, like I said before when people say certain things that might change if they get thrown a lot of money....

And the thing is that Interscope's just like any other record label, they're only about getting that money, they don't care about the artists,like Nas said in one of his songs the rap game is like the crack game, it could be a shady buisiness but on the bright side it's better to see people sell CDs instead of selling drugs,btw 50 was singing on a lot of his earlier stuff too so he shouldn't have even had criticised Ja for doing that in the first place, personally I don't mind if rappers sing, if you don't like singin' then I guess you don't like soul...

Edited by bigted