JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Former 106 & Park Host AJ Hosting College Hip-Hop Course

bigted

Former 106 & Park Host AJ Hosting College Hip-Hop Course

By EbenGregory and Christine S. Kim

Date: 4/3/2006 3:40 pm

AJ Calloway, former host of BET's 106 & Park, has been tapped by Howard University to teach a course that explores the theoretical foundation of Hip-Hop.

The Howard alumnus will teach the new on-line course in conjunction with history professor Elizabeth Lewis-Clark.

The new graduate seminar in public history will provide a theoretical foundation for Hip-Hop and focus on a theme of urban/Hip-Hop cultural expression.

The class will be taught online by Calloway and Lewis-Clark, but Calloway will periodically come to campus to speak to students.

In the class, Calloway openly discusses his views about what's happening in the industry.

"I really hope that one day Hip-Hop will evolve," Calloway said. "I mean, we are the only group of people that pimp our women through music the way that we do. I only hope that through that evolution Hip-Hop doesn't take the same path jazz took and become exploited to the point of disinterest, like everything else of ours white people get their hands on."

In July 2005, Calloway and Free officially resigned their posts as the hosts of BET's popular show 106 & Park, jobs they held since the show's premier in the fall 2000.

Although the circumstances surrounding their abrupt departure were not disclosed, insiders speculated there had been friction with upper management over a period of time.

On his last live show, AJ revealed that his plans included opening up a restaurant in Brooklyn, running a management company and, in previous reports, he said he was working on a television pilot.

If this is such a positive reinforcement, where the heck was this attitude during the 106 & Park shows? Sure, ur a cue card reader, but what says you have to absolutely have to be? If anythng, I'm sure he didn't wanna criticize the audience for what they liked, even tho he probably wanted to. They could've gave the "against the grain" guests more respect due tho.

Is he related to Sway Calloway from MTV, btw?