JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jaz-O exposes Jay-Z

Jin

Jay Doesn't make deep lyrics?

have you heard any of his albums, aside from Blueprint 2? Black album was a crazy good album, lyrically.

Jay makes some deep songs but I don't think any of his songs blow my mind away like "One Mic" just like Nas makes club songs but he can't make a club anthem like "Big Pimpin'", you can't tell that he was out of character in doing "You Owe Me", that's not his style, Jay's got more of a commercial friendly vibe, he knows how to get the most potential out of it. Not to mention that Jay uses only big name producers now while Nas uses LES even though he ain't a household name, if Nas had Kanye and Pharrell produce "Street's Disciple" woulda went triple platinum while Jay-Z wouldn't go platinum if LES produced him, I'm gonna be real man if LL didn't have Timbaland and Pharrell produce his last 2 albums he'd probably only be doing KRS numbers. Jay was a deeper lyricist back on "Reasonable Doubt" which is his lowest selling album ironically but then he started doing flashier songs and became popular, people did question his credability, he needed that Nas battle for credability as much as Nas did to get popularity, hip-hop heads were saying that Jay was sounding too commercial on "Volume 3" and "Dynasty" album, him going after Nas proved that he was going for credability since he knows Nas is more credible than him, that was a a smart move on his part, both benefitted from the battle of wits, the best battle of the decade so far. Speaking of "Dynasty" album, he says something on "Change The Game" about how he still spits the real s*** and sells more records than Will Smith, I always wondered is that a diss to Will? Did anybody ever ask Jay about that line? Even though Jay-Z didn't win the battle with Nas he came the closest to win, no other commercial rapper could compete with Nas on the mic, Nas could use leftover rhymes to beat 50 Cent, "Body YaSelf" was weak for Nas standards but 50 still can't respond to that, Nas actually had to bring his best for Jay-Z to win.

Edited by bigted

• Members

i think that that body yourself was juss a warning shot to 50 letting him no not to **** wit him cuz hell fcuk him up lyrically. But didnt jay z get his name from Jaz. didnt nas say that in ether? but anyway itink NaS wants to beef with 50 before is albulm Nasdaq dow Jones releises to boost album sails. If 50 falls for it hes stupid but he wont get into a direct beef wit him cuz he knows its bad buisness wise he learned from what jada did too him.m Plus hes workin wit Jay z and Nas is wit Jay z now. I dunno wut to think bout that either the fact that nas is wit jay z now is he signed to defjam?

Nas ain't wit Jay-Z now, I think all they did was perform together at a couple of shows, I'm not quite sure if Nas'll go to Def Jam, he still got one or two more albums on his Columbia deal, maybe a greatest hits album and The Lost Tapes 2'll end the deal for him to go somewhere else, we'll see what happens. I don't care where Nas goes as long as he keeps droppin' albums for me to buy, I care about artists not labels... I heard 50 was dissin' Nas on Funkmaster Flex a couple weeks ago and was sayin' that he'd be Jay-Z' slave if he goes to Def Jam and sayin' that Nas is soft for squashing beef with somebody who slept with his baby's mama, maybe he thinks that Jay might be setting Nas up... I don't know why Jay is having 50 on Freeway's album though, that sounds wack!

Edited by bigted

I couldn't read all of that, but i read most of it. That guys attitude waz kinda annoying 2 me. But he's saying stuff i've been saying for years. No offense 2 Biggie, but his stuff music wazn't anything special. His lyics, flow, production, etc. Jay-Z is typical commerical rap 2 me. Puffy waz never a real artist. I've been saying all of this since the mid and late 90's.

I couldn't read all of that, but i read most of it. That guys attitude waz kinda annoying 2 me. But he's saying stuff i've been saying for years. No offense 2 Biggie, but his stuff music wazn't anything special. His lyics, flow, production, etc. Jay-Z is typical commerical rap 2 me. Puffy waz never a real artist. I've been saying all of this since the mid and late 90's.

Biggie`s fLow is one of the best. better than Pac`s. And his lyrics are like LL`s. Don`t see the problem.

And how come you think Puffy ain`t a real artist? he maybe not good but that doesn`t make him fake. And he`s one hell of a producer.

Rhythmically, Biggie did have a nice flow. But not many of his lyrics every meant anything 2 me. Especially since they weren't true 2 who he really waz. His voice and delivery weren't good at all 2 me. Puffy has never been an artists. I'll call him an entertainer, but not an artist. 90% of his lyrics of substance are in that 1997 track he did 4 Biggie. His lyrics and mic skillz aren't good at all. He's stritcly good 4 party pop. And as a producer? HE HAS ADMITTED 2 NOT EVEN KNOWING HOW 2 USE A DRUM MACHINE/PROGRAMMER!! He jacks beats. He knows what sells and how 2 make money. He's a brilliant businessman, but when it comes 2 quality music...Puffy has pretty much never made any.

Well AJ you're a big MC Hammer fan and they say the same thing about him that they say about Diddy when they call his music 'party pop' and for using jacked beats on his hits like "U Can't Touch This", but Hammer actually writes his lyrics unlike Diddy who just writes checks not rhymes, lol, I think Hammer has a lil' more subject matter on his songs too, they weren't all party songs. Diddy actually says that Hammer was one of his inspirations though and he's one of the few rappers who always defend Hammer when people call him wack, Diddy did production on LL's "Phenomenon" album so LL must respect his production not to mention that he was on "After School" with him, LL got love for Diddy. Kanye said that Diddy inspired his production, you could see some similarities in the production, I guess that's why he sounds so commercial, lol. You could say what you want about Biggie's content, but FP always passionately talks about all the great things Biggie would say on his first album("I feel like N.W.A's first album and Biggie's first album should be used in psychology classes-they're such accurate, powerful depictions of the lifestyle. Such brilliant well thought out, well-defined, well-rounded albums. For my taste, I need records like those. They just have some intellectual base to it...") if you met him personally he'd tell you the same thing, that's your opinion if you don't like them but a lot of your favorite artists in the industry respect them for a fact.

Edited by bigted