JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Basketball

Schnazz

I was listening to the radio the other day I heard the remake of Kurtis Blows' Basketball, and it really struck me to the difference between hip-hop in the early 80's and the hip-hop today. The original song was all about pure love for the game. All the stars and how great they are. The remake did have some of that, but then the kid spit a verse about how he was gonna get drafted, how great a player he was, or some such thing. Has the music gotten to a point where in order to remake a classic, you have to change it up to make yourself seem larger then life, being better then mortals at everything?

I'm not against ego in rap, I'm an FP fan. :) But there's a huge difference between using analogies to say your a good rapper, good looking, talented, etc... and saying that you're pro ball player, and going so far to brutalize a classic song just for the sake of your ego.

It was a sad day, and what made it even more sad was that I heard the remake on Radio Disney! :lolsign: :lolsign:

It was Bow Wow who had to nerve to call Will a bubblegum rapper when he watered down this classic! :paperbag: I think it was for the soundtrack of his movie "Like Movie" where he was playing on an NBA team I think so maybe that's why he brags about scoring on the NBA stars 'cause he did in the movie but still it was wack, is it just me or does every platinum rapper coming out now does a movie? Back in a days you only had a few like Will, LL, and Ice Cube but now it's gotten out of hand and most of them need to try working on their day job first, lol.

Edited by bigted

It was Bow Wow who had to nerve to call Will a bubblegum rapper when he watered down this classic! :paperbag: I think it was for the soundtrack of his movie "Like Movie" where he was playing on an NBA team I think so maybe that's why he brags about scoring on the NBA stars 'cause he did in the movie but still it was wack, is it just me or does every platinum rapper coming out now does a movie? Back in a days you only had a few like Will, LL, and Ice Cube but now it's gotten out of hand and most of them need to try working on their day job first, lol.

I think the movie with Bow Wow on an NBA team is Like Mike, not Like Movie FYI. Yeah, I never knew Bow Wow was such a jerk to His Royal Freshness. Thanks for lettin me know the real truth bout Bow Wow Ted.