JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Portable Video Players...

MaxFly

As always, practicality comes into play. Those who often travel or utilize public transportation will be the ones first targeted by manufacturers and marketing teams. However, as is usually the case with nascent technology, a market will present itself in the general population sooner or later. As I pointed out in a previous post, with the emergence of WiMax, longer battery lives and bigger yet physically smaller hard drives, protable video will likely find it's way into your pockets at some point, most likely in the form of your cell phone or some such device... While price is a factor now, it's important to note that the technology is still in the early stages and with the virtues of supply and demand, prices will shift to accommodate a larger market.

Also, in terms of actual use... ten, fifteen years ago, people generally got along fine without the use of a cell phone. Most people couldn't imagine any practical use for it that would justify the price of the phone and the cost of service in addition to their home land lines... Portable video definitely has the potential to evolve in the same way; perhaps not as a solitary device, but I can see the mixture of communications and video software and hardware in the future.

In regards to dropping an expensive device... the best policy would be to try not to drop it. However, the risk would be the same as if you dropped your iPod or another portable mp3 player... It's the same thing people had to contend with back in the early 90s if they dropped their portable CD player... either make sure your warranty is still active or be careful.

but cellphones is useful incase of emergencies,

In a case of an emergency would u play on ur psp or watch a video portal player?

that's true Joe, but i think Max's point is that 15 years ago we never thought a cell phone could be useful like it is today and have us racking up huge bills for them. the potential is there for PVP's to go big in the next 10 years. however, i agree with your point also that cell phones have a very useful purpose in case of emergencies and portable video players can't compare with that. who knows, they'll probably have satellite and pay per view on portable video players in 10 years.

but cellphones is useful incase of emergencies,

In a case of an emergency would u play on ur psp or watch a video portal player?

While portable video players will largely be for entertainment, I can defintely see a few future applications for times of emergency. If in the near future we can get high speed broadband to cell phones and have improved video capabilities on such devices, video notification and instructions can be sent to citizens during times of heightened emergency like a terrorist attack, a black out, or a natural disaster. Audio can be sent to those on the road indicating that there is a car accident ahead, providing information for alternate routes, helping to clear the road for emergency vehicles. The daily news can be viewed alerting people of important developments in their region or around the world.

Again, I'm referring to the advent of portable video technology itself, not just the ability to watch television shows or movies on a device. The answer to your question is yes, in the case of an emergency, I would like to get a news feed and/or video instructions on a portable video device.

Personally, I think portable video players are practically useless too:

-The screen is too small to watch something in quality color and graphics

-It costs too much just to take it somewhere to watch something on a tiny screen

-Television is better because it costs less (well some may cost more) but you get a better quality picture

So I think they aren't much of a good use.

Cell phones, however, do have good purposes. You can use themin the case of an emergency, find people, and call anyone from anywhere. I think that's quite useful. So there's my opinion. :davidblaine: