JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

new fatlip(pharcyde) solo album!

Hero1

• Admin

fatlip the most talented member of the pharcyde is finally gonna release his solo album.. i bought the first single from this "whats up fatlip" 5 years ago! delicious vinyl is such a messed up label its a miracle they can release anything!

check out the hilarious whats up fatlip video at his site..

http://deliciousvinyl.com/artists/fatlipcss/index.html

also make sure you watch the fat lip documentary by spike jonze..its very interesting about how he had all the success with pharcyde and what happened when it went away.. a must watch!

In the midst of Los Angeles early 1990s gangster rap takeover, the Pharcyde presented another slice of Southern California living. The Cali quartet delivered imaginative story raps about peoples mothers and unfulfilled love, and rhymed over a diverse collection of jazz-influenced beats that were as creative and trailblazing as they were catchy. Even though the quartet shared equal time on the mic, one member stood out because his stories were the best, his delivery was the most captivating and his sense of humor was the most biting. His name is Fatlip.

After leaving the Pharcyde in the mid-1990s, recording a number of hit underground singles throughout the last several years and delivering a scene-stealing cameo in Ludacris recent Get Back video, Fatlip is ready to release his debut album, the humorously titled TheLoneliest Punk.

Ive gone through different titles and I found that to be the most fitting, Fatlip explains with a smile. I wanted to make a strong solo debut. If I may say so, its highly anticipated, so I wanted to try to give people a taste of what Ive been going through since I got out the group.

Fatlip left the Pharcyde about a decade ago, so believe that his album has been a labor of love -- something that hasnt always been easy to work on. He cleverly examines his artistic impediments on the snide Writers Block.

A lot of MCs, theyre always talking about what theyve got, bragging on things, talking about what a dope lyricist they are, how much money theyve got and how hard they are, he says. I just wanted to come at it from a different angle. And, at the time, I couldnt think of anything else to write and Writers Block was all I could think of. So I said, Hey, why not make a song about it?

But dont think that Fatlip has lost his creative touch. On Freaky Pumps, Fatlip teams with Volume 10 and Digital Undergrounds Shock G and Humpty Hump for a playful romp about strip club culture. By taking a humorous approach to the topic, Fatlip turns a familiar rap subject into a hilarious lyrical adventure. It just ended up that way, Fatlip explains. Whatever I do, its always going to have a comedic feel to it. Its just my perspective on life. I always see the humor in things and I guess it comes out in the music.

Fatlip revisits the festive Pharcyde sound with producer J-Sw!ft on Joes Turkey, details his tumultuous post-Pharcyde life on First Heat and joins Chali 2Na for a lyrical free-for-all on lead single Todays Your Day (WhachagoneDu?).

Then, on The Story of Us Fatlip gives listeners an intimate look into his personal life. Thats when I was going through some trials and tribulations with my babys mom, Fatlip reveals. I was living in Hollywood, just all depressed and knew that I had to do something about it. The writing was actually therapy for my situation.

Fatlip also found solice in his burgeoning beatmaking skills. In addition to the production work from J-Sw!ft and Squeak E Clean, Fatlip himself got behind the boards for several TheLoneliest Punk songs. It was something that Ive always had a passion for, Fatlip says. In the Pharcyde, we were looking for a certain sound from certain producers and we were never really satisfied with what we were given. From the beats to the lyrics, it all has to coincide with the same expression, the same vision and a lot of times, cats would just give us beats because we asked for them and were paying for them.

Thats no longer a worry. With TheLoneliest Punk, the legendary rapper delivers a powerful collection that takes rap to new and exciting lyrical and sonic directions. Sure, its the next level of artistry, but thats simply modus operandi for Fatlips musical output.

Im trying to come up with something new, something I havent come up with before, he says. I try to make something hot, something current. Thats my motivation, because I love seeing people bob their head to some music in a car thats passing by and they may not even be familiar with the artist that created the track. Theyre just responding to the music itself. Thats what I want people to people to do with my music.

DELICIOUS VINYL SET TO RELEASE FORMER PHARCYDE MEMBER, FATLIP'S LONG AWAITED SOLO RECORD!!!!!

Fatlip, former lead MC from the irreverent, innovative, and highly influential rap group The Pharcyde, is finally releasing his long anticipated solo record!!!! "Theloneliest Punk" is the insightful, poignant and often hilarious culmination of five years of trials and tribulations since his highly publicized split from The Pharcyde. The album, set to debut November 1st 2005, will be released on his long time label, Delicious Vinyl, in association with Universal Distribution.

Fatlip has long been recognized in Hip Hop circles as a truly gifted and unique storyteller. Coming outta the box with an incredible flow on the Pharcyde's first two groundbreaking albums, "Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde" and "Labcabincalifornia.”

Fatlip dazzled everyone with his revelatory lyrical style and funny personal insights on classic hits such as "Passin' Me By," "Runnin" and "Oh ****" as well as his much buzzed about solo single and Spike Jonze directed video "What's Up Fatlip?” His affiliation with Spike Jonze, who credits Fatlip as one of his favorite MC’s, has culminated in two Jonze directed videos, as well as a Jonze documentary on Fatlip called "What's Up Fatlip?" This hilarious and insightful look into the world of Fatlip will be included on a bonus DVD as part of a two-disk set. The documentary does a masterful job of getting Fatlip and Pharcyde fans up to speed on the years following his breakup from the group, as well as setting the table for "TheLoneliest Punk" CD that will finally be released.

Michael "Mike Floss" Ross owner of Delicious Vinyl and executive producer of "Theloneliest Punk" has been with Fatlip from the beginning and is excited to finally be bringing new Fatlip material to his fans. "This record has truly been an odyssey of strange and surreal proportions. We've been trying to get this record done for so long; it's hard to really explain the process, because the truth is really stranger than fiction in this case. However, the one undeniable is Fatlip is truly an original, brilliant MC, with a voice that needs to be heard. I think rap music in particular, as well as the world of music in general needs a Fatlip album right now. I'm glad I could help finally get it out of him, so I can get to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I got this album today off iTunes.. it would make every pharcyde fan happy.. it returns to the fun and raw energy of pharcyde's first album "bizarre ryde II the pharcyde" .. It has all those different flavas like a classic pharcyde record. its funny its sad its serious..its fatlip :word: