JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

How much CD's need to be sold to make money

rawad_m

Guys, I was wadering how much an artist would need to sell of their CD's in order to make a decent profit. For e.g will's born to reign sold i believe around 300000 copies so was it a financial failure( I dont think so but your opinions)?

How much is considerd good sales?

It depends on alot of things. Contracts have alot 2 do with it. Some artists pay 4 alot of their stuff...some only pay 4 some of it cuz their label pay 4 stuff. Touring, videos, etc. Some artists make more off their albums than others. New artists verses established artists is another thing u take in2 consideration. That's why alot of artists get in2 fanclubs, clothing lines, etc. They make money off that kinda stuff their the contracts keep them from making alot of money. Also, if u are an artist releasing your music independently, u get 2 keep all or most of the money people spend on your music. When u are on a big label, u usually only make a few cents off each album bought.