JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Madonna Sues Dr Dre & Mary J

Da Brakes

Believe it or not, Madonna is suing legendary producer Dr Dre and the queen of hip-hop soul Mary J over two years after a track on the Barbershop was released. Madonna claims the single sounds way too much like her 80’s classic “Holiday”. Other urban news, Grammy performers are announced, Kanye join musical forces with the almighty Lauryn Hill, this and much more in this week’s Outside Trax

And This Year’s Grammy Performers Are…

Green Day, U2, Alicia Keys and Tim McGraw are the first acts confirmed to be performing at the 47th Grammy Awards ceremony. All are up for multiple nominations with Keys listed in eight categories, Green Day in six, U2 in three and McGraw in two.

Kanye West leads the field of nominees, with the rapper's name appearing in ten categories, including that of best new artist. The event is to take place on February 13th at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles and will be presented by rapper turned actress Queen Latifah. Christina Milian, Ellen DeGeneres and John Travolta have all been lined up as guest presenters. A full list for all 107 award categories can be found at the official Grammys website www.grammy.com.

Pharrell Drops Case Again Reebok

Pharrell Williams has dropped his $4million lawsuit against Reebok. The company had been responsible for making and distributing his Billionaire Boys Club clothing range and Ice Cream footwear collection. However, the N*E*R*D star filed a suit for breach-of-contract last month after alleging Reebok had failed to meet distribution and quality standards. Williams and Reebok had entered into the licensing-and-distribution partnership in 2003. The Billionaire Boys Club and Ice Cream collections were launched in September last year. Reported by Billboard.com, a spokesperson for Williams confirmed that any legal action against Reebok had now been dropped. The company will continue selling Ice Cream shoes until June 30th, 2005, although Williams' is expected to announce plans for both ranges in the near future.

His statement read: "Reebok and I both understand we have very different visions for my clothing line, BBC and my sneaker line, Ice Cream. I have learned a great deal doing business with Reebok, and it has been a great experience. I am pleased that we can part ways amicably and am excited to launch my line independently."

Madonna suing Mary J and Dr. Dre

Madonna is not a happy camper. The pop icon is apparently suing both Dr. Dre and Mary J Blige for copyright infringement. Apparently, Madonna feels as if her 1983 hit song “Holiday” and the Dre, Eve, Mary collabo “Not Today” sound way to much alike. In fact she feels that it is so close that it might be a direct rip. The song, which was on the soundtrack to “Barbershop 2”, became quite a popular hit that featured the trio of artists lending each other their respective talents. Court documents state allegations from the publishing company that “Not Today” includes instances of direct reproduction. It’s quite funny that this suit surfaced almost two years after the song was originally released. But nonetheless, Madonna's publishers are looking to gain up to $15 million if the case goes to trial and ends up in their favour

Finell said: "Both the pitches and the rhythms sound closely related...I don't think they're identical because Madonna's song is in what we call 'major key' and Mary J. Blige's song is in a 'minor key'."

Andre's 3000's new movie

Andre 3000 is to join the cast of a new children's film. The Outkast star will voice Elwyn the crow in a new live action and animated version of the classic children's book "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White. Undercover.com.au reports that Julia Roberts will voice Charlotte the spider. Other star names attached to the project include John Cleese, Oprah Winfrey, Kathy Bates and country singer Reba McEntire. The film will begin production in Melbourne at the end of January and is expected to be released in 2006. Outkast recently finished filming the musical "My Life In Idlewild" which is expected to be released later this year.

Andre 3000 will be seen next in the "Get Shorty" sequel "Be Cool", released on April 1 in the UK, in which he plays a rapper

Kanye West And Lauryn Hill Make Sweet Music Together

More than six drama-filled years after the release of her Grammy-winning solo debut, it looks like Lauryn Hill's sophomore studio album is finally nearing fruition — with a little help from Kanye West, perhaps. The pair have collaborated on at least two songs, and while it isn't certain that the collaborations will make the album's final track listing, given West's spiritual slant, the producer seems like a perfect fit for Hill, whose music has taken an ethereal turn in recent years. Still, the pair's collaboration is somewhat ironic, considering that West sampled a Hill song for the original version of his track, "All Falls Down." The then-relatively unknown producer couldn't get clearance to use Hill's performance and re-recorded the song using singer Syleena Johnson. Representatives for West and Hill could not be reached for comment.

Is Russell Simmons To Be The Next NAACP President

With former president Kweisi Mfume recently resigning, Russell Simmons is now considered an ideal candidate to takeover the NAACP's helm. Presently in the midst of restructuring their organization, the NAACP hopes to find a leader that speaks to the younger generation of Black Americans. J. Whyatt Mondesire, head of the NAACP's Philadelphia branch believes an influential figure like Simmons would appeal to the youthful demographic they seek to reach.

"We are basically 2,200 local organizations with a national title," Mondesire told Newsday. "The organization needs a heavyweight with a national reputation who can raise money, who has a vision and who has the connections to push us forward with a modern civil rights agenda."

Hip Hop stars Top Box Office

Ice Cube continues his hot streak at the box office, as his comedy “Are We There Yet?” topped the box office this weekend, raking in $18.5 million.

The movie, which stars the former N.W.A. lead rapper opposite Nia Long, is a family flick about a materialistic bachelor who falls for a single mother of two children. The two children go to any length to prevent a new man from entering their mother's life. Ja Rule’s label mate Ashanti enjoyed a better weekend, as the basketball drama “Coach Carter” in which she stars, took second place, grossing $11 million.

Thanx 4 that. I didn't notice the similarities of "Not Today" and "Holiday" until reading this. I'm not sure that they ripped the song off tho.' I'm also scared 2 hear how Kanye West and Lauryn Hill sound 2gether. I don't have faith in Kanye West like most people here do. I like alot of his stuff...but this is Lauryn Hill we are talking about. I also think Russle Simmons would be a good person 2 be considered for the President of the NAACP.