JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DIGABLE PLANETS REUNITED!

JumpinJack AJ

I freaked when i read this!! I waz on a Digable Planets trip and waz looking up info on them 2nite. Hip-Hop heads will remember them from their 2 classic album "Reachin'" and "Blowout Comb." They are best known for their debut single "Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like That)." They were one of the most creative and talented Hip-Hop acts of the 90's, mixing Hip-Hop, with Jazz and poetic rhyme schemes.

Anyways, while i waz turned off by Ishmal's Cherry Wine "Bright Black" (which wazn't so bad last time i listened 2 it in stores), i found out Doodlebug changed his stage name 2 Cee Knowledge and released a solo album in Philly featuring a track with Mecca aka Ladybug (of DP). Well, while i waz on his site, i waz reading news that Digable Planets reunited for the 1st time in 9 years 2 perform a show and are thinkin' about more touring and a 3rd album!! First the Fugees and now Digable Planets...Hip-Hop dose have a chance!!!

Digable Planets aren't really that much like ATCQ. Digable Planets kinda served as the leaders of Acid Jazz (Hip-Hop + Jazz). I think ATCQ were more straight Hip-Hop with Jazz samples and influnces. DP had this laid back, sometimes hippieish approach 2 their music. All 3 of them were emcees but they also dipped in2 some spoken word poetry type stuff. The music waz about everyday life and occasionally social issues. I think they appeared on Guru's 1st Jazzmatazz album. Their 2nd album didn't have as much Jazz influence but it waz still dope none the less. "Where I'm From" and "9th Wonder" were their other bigger hits. They are definitly worth checkin' out if u like early Tribe and De La stuff...but they are really in a class all their own. I know Tim is a fan of them as well.

Here are their individual websites.

I checked a song on Ladybug's site and it's dope. Here they are...

BUTTAFLY

www.cherrwine.net

DOODLEBUG

www.ceeknowledge.com

LADYBUG

www.ladybugmecca.com