JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

SHOCK G

JumpinJack AJ

This week i picked up the solo album from Shock-G, the mastermind behind Digital Underground, and the man that put 2Pac in the limelight (and gave him some of his dopest beats...Trapped, I Get Around, So Many Tears, F*** The World, etc). For those of u who never heard of Digital Underground, i urge u 2 check them out. If u are a JJ+FP fan or a Hip-Hop fan sick of crap and looking 4 an alternative...check them out. They have 2 different Greatest Hits albums (featuring hits like The Humpty Dance, Kiss You Back, Dowhatchalike, Oregino Flow). Their style is kinda P-Funk meets Hip-Hop meets whatever else they throw in the mix. There's introspective rhymes and comedy sprinkled thru' out all of their music.

Anyways, this post is about Shock G's new album which should please all fans looking 4 an alternative 2 the trash on the radio, and DU fans who might be hesitating 2 pick up this album.

This album mixes stuff u'd expect from DU albums but also has tons of totally new flava. Shock G holds nothing back on this album. The album opens up with "Keep It Beautiful" which is a track about how Rap music's state is embarassing and talentless. The beat is slow and filled with knowelege u'd expect from KRS-One. He spits rhymes like "so many tryna be 'Pac but only cop the thug side" and "u really wanna be like "Pac, read shorty, read" and "forgive me but i'm gonna be the only rapper still wearin' a smile." "Cherry Flava'd E-mail" as this amazing steady bumpin' beats with this ill guitar. Production dosen't get any better than this....the beat just moves u. "Weesom Hustlas" is a bouncy beat with the DU crew...it's features Shock's alter-ego Humpty Hump and Money B. "Holmedown Up" as this crazy freestyle over some jazzy vibes u'd expect on a Jazzy Jeff album. This is a crazy love joint with a scattered beat once it starts up. "We're All Killaz" has this beat that's is just undiscribable. Basic beat but with weird percussion instrument. Shock's lyrics are slightly comical, unfocused ?uestions that mostly don't have answers. "Your Sun Iz A Pimp" is another track where Shock lets Humpty Hump take over the mic.

Overall, the album covers all kinda ground. Basic Hip-Hop, thru' retro-feeling old skool influenced Hip-Hop, DU P-funkish stuff, slow stuff, fast stuff...everything. It also has some DJ-heavy trax featuring cuts by Q-Bert and D-Sharp. People always talk about beats being dope...but Shock keeps the beats dope and musical. The album is loaded with 17 trax and even tho' it dose have explict lyrics, it's really tastefull 4 the most part. Not 2 much cussing throughout it. The insert is filled with the same cartoons and comedy u find in the DU albums.

There's something new 4 the Hip-Hop heads 2 check out. I found my copy of the album at Borders for $15.99.

yo Aj, u know, I just know a few digital underground songz... humpty dance .. oregino flow...! I know dat dis crew is dope.... but I didn't hear more stuff from them til now....

how u discibe da new album, it is cool... I will definitiv check out dis LP n da older DU stuff durin da next time! Thanx man!

Peace

fs1