JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NEW EDITION: ONE LOVE

JumpinJack AJ

The album opens with an unnecessary interlude that u would expect from Bad Boy. It has all the guys on a conference phone call talking about being signed 2 Bad Boy. Here's a quick review of the album.

Been So Long is a smooth comeback track. I kinda wanted a stronger opening track than this tho.' Hot 2nite is the ultra-slick dance joint and 1st single. The fellas are just spitting game the ladies on this one. Sexy Lady is a lady-chasin' track. Mid-tempo, light-urban bump feel 2 this one. Last Time is one of those songs where the guys are sick of wrong-doing females and just don't wanna relationship with anyone. I can releate 2 this one. All On You is a typical lightweight club banger. It's basically a Bell Biv DeVoe track. Ralf co-wrote and is on the background vocals...but BBD runs the show on this track. Wildest Dreams is a fly track. It's one of those sweet-sounding, feel good songs u'd expect from the guys. I really like this one. It's funny cuz on NE's last album, the trax produced by Puffy were the worst ones (IMO) but this one waz produced by him and Mario Winans (we know he did most of the work...ha ha). Start Turnin' Me On is actually produced by former A Touch of Jazz producers Andre Harris and Vidal Davis...Ryan Toby of City High who also worked on a few Big Willie Style trax co-wrote the song. This track is a radio-ready commercial song. It's strange hearing this kinda track from the ex-ATOJers. Love Again is a slightly bouncy commercial track. Good lyrics...just the same kinda sound the rest of the album has tho.' One Love (Interlude). Song-styled interlude which has someof the best production on the album...2 bad it's just and interlude. That's Why I Lied has some creative subject matter...similar commercial sound tho.' Come Home With Me is a great love ballad. Leave it up 2 Johnny Gill 2 shine on this one. Best Man has that late-90's choppy over-produced feel. The sound has been done b4, but like all the other trax, NE turns them in2 something more than what they are. Re-Write The Memories...WHOOOO!! This is what the album should be centered around. Traditional NE vocals...beautiful R-N-B track. Reminds u of stuff like "Can You Stand The Rain" and "I'm Still In Love With You"....this is the sooowng (make sure 2 pronounce the "w" in your head when reading that word). Newness is another track that is a better repersentation of NE for the 2-0-0-4. Dope song. Feelin' It takes u back 2 the slickly produced uptempo stuff. Real good song tho.' They just 2 take the synthisizers outta this beat. Leave Me ends the album off on a slow ballad kinda song. Sad song tho'.

Over all, New Edition is back and that could never be a bad thing. The grit and rawness that Bobby Brown brings is missed tho.' NE can stand without him on the album, but he definitly brings a flava that is missed on this album. The guys still got skills. Their different vocal styles still blend and the raps sprinkled thru' out the album are gems on most of the songs. Bad Boy didn't mess with their sound or image which makes me very happy. There aren't any signs of Bad Boy artists on the album or their in-house producers taking over the music. The guys of NE usually write more of their own material but none of it sounds like stuff they wouldn't sing. My only main complaint is that the production could be much thicker and solid. All music sounds good but they should have taken the beats 2 the next level. 112 can have these beats...NE deserves better. Jimmy Jam + Terry Lewis (their main producers for many years) did the majority of the album i think so it's not a producer switch thing. I'm hoping this album dose well, springs off alot of singles, rejuvinates their solo careers and leads 2 more NE albums without the 8 year gaps. 1996's "Home Again" album waz classic...at least this 2004 album keeps the ball rollin.'

NE is back y'all!!

Edited by JumpinJack AJ

Thanks for the review AJ, I'm gonna cop the album this weekend! :thumb:

I've been waiting 8 long years for this new album and i honestly havn't listened 2 it half as much as i expected 2. The guys were just really screwed when it came 2 promotion. I don't know why they settled for it and why people like Jimmy Jam + Terry Lewis slacked like they did.