JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

P2P Warning

Guest Prince

Guest Prince
It can and does happen... I've censored out the sensitive information.

I don't download myself, but I do know alot of people on this forum that do.

Be warned guys!

[quote]Motion Picture Association
Worldwide Anti-Piracy
15503 Ventura Boulevard
Encino, CA 91436

PHONE: (818) 728 - 8127
Email: MPAA@copyright.org

October 2, 2004

Name:Xxxxx-Xxxxx

Via Fax/Email

Re: Unauthorized Distribution of Copyrighted Motion Pictures
Protocol: BitTorrent
IP Address: 82.14x.xx.xx
Date of Infringement: 9/23/2004 at 3:44 p.m. EDT (GMT -0400)

Dear Xxxxxxx:

The Motion Picture Association (MPA) represents the following motion picture production and distribution companies:

Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc.
Disney Enterprises, Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Paramount Pictures Corporation
TriStar Pictures, Inc.
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
United Artists Pictures, Inc.
United Artists Corporation
Universal City Studios LLLP
Warner Bros. Entertainment Company Inc.

We have received information that you are providing Internet access to and possibly hosting the above referenced Internet site, which is offering downloads of copyrighted motion picture(s) including such title(s) as:

STARGATE ATLANTIS - SERIES

These downloads are copies of copyright works which have been made without the authorisation of the copyright owners, contrary to section 17(1) of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (“CDPA”) and are therefore “infringing copies” within the meaning of section 27(2) CDPA.

Criminal liability

Under section 107(1) CDPA it is an offence for a person to sell, offer for sale, or distribute infringing copies of a work in circumstances where that person knows or has reason to believe that the copies are infringing copies. It is likely that the party operating the above-referenced Internet site has committed an offence under this section.

It is an offence pursuant to common law to aid, abet, counsel or procure the commission of an offence under this section. Accordingly, if you fail to take the steps set out below, you may be liable to prosecution as an accessory to these acts of infringement.

Civil liability

To the extent that you are hosting the above referenced Internet site, section 23 CDPA provides that it is an infringement to possess in the course of a business copies of works knowing or having reason to believe that they are infringing copies. You are now on notice that the above titles are infringing copies. Once you have had time to consider the position, the continued presence of the downloads on the site may mean that you contravene section 23 CDPA and are therefore liable for copyright infringement.

In any event, section 16(2) CDPA provides that copyright in a work is infringed by a person who without licence of the copyright owner does, or authorises another to do, any of the acts restricted by copyright. Copies of the above titles are being issued to the public by the party operating the site, contrary to section 18 CDPA without the licence of the copyright owners.

By providing Internet access to and/or hosting the site, you may be deemed to be authorising this infringement and therefore liable in civil proceedings for copyright infringement.

Sections 96 and 97 CDPA provide that the copyright owners of the respective titles can obtain (among other remedies) an injunction and either an award of damages or an account of profits. You may be liable in this regard if you continue to provide Internet access to and/or host the above referenced Internet site.

Required steps

Under Regulation 19 of the Electronic Commerce (EC Directive) Regulations 2002, an ISP can escape liability for providing hosting services to an infringing site if, once made aware of the unlawful activity, it acts expeditiously to remove or disable access to the content.
Accordingly, we request that you immediately do the following:

1) Disable access to this site;
2) Remove this site from your server; and
3) Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms of Service Agreement.

On behalf of the respective owners of the exclusive rights to the copyright material at issue in this notice, we hereby state that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorised by the copyright owners, their respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state that the information in this notification is accurate and that we are authorised to act on behalf of the owners of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this notification.

Please contact us at the above listed address or by replying to this email should you have any questions. Kindly include the above noted Reference number in the subject line of all email correspondence.

We thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

Motion Picture Association[/quote]

Guest Prince
Also, they have 'honeypot' machines on all the P2P (peer to peer) networks, with loads of high quality video and music files on a fast connection. Users go for them like flies around s***. They'll also search for users sharing and can catch them too. Not sure about bit-torrent (mentioned in the above), but when you're connected by P2P (either downloading or letting someone download from you), you can get the other persons IP address just simply by typing netstat at the command prompt.

Again, I advise against downloading.

Guest Prince
If I was him, I would format the hard drive while I was at it. Firstly, you have downloaded the program. Secondly, you use it. Your hard drive is probably full of malware that your anti-virus doesn't pick up.

i got rid of kazaa a while ago, bcoz my firewall wouldnt let me use it. Ive got that soulsearch instead, but i blocked ppl from seeing my files coz im scared incase thay can get to all the really rare jjfp songs i got from here. I tried to download something the other day and this guy was like "let me see your files", so i ran away lol.

• Members
[quote=Jazzy Julie,Oct 4 2004, 01:38 PM]i got rid of kazaa a while ago, bcoz my firewall wouldnt let me use it. Ive got that soulsearch instead, but i blocked ppl from seeing my files coz im scared incase thay can get to all the really rare jjfp songs i got from here. I tried to download something the other day and this guy was like "let me see your files", so i ran away lol.[/quote]
That must be frightening. Somebody trying to see your files!

[quote=Jazzy Julie,Oct 4 2004, 12:38 PM]i got rid of kazaa a while ago, bcoz my firewall wouldnt let me use it. Ive got that soulsearch instead, but i blocked ppl from seeing my files coz im scared incase thay can get to all the really rare jjfp songs i got from here. I tried to download something the other day and this guy was like "let me see your files", so i ran away lol.[/quote]
I can picture Julie running away from the computer instead of just closeing it down

:cya: :kekeke: