JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Christopher "Kid" Reid: DJ Jazzy Jeff & Will Smith Would've Been Great In "House Party"

Ale

In a recent conversation with HipHopDX (August), Reid explained that when they opened talks to star in House Party with New Line Cinema, they did not know that the studio was also speaking with DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (Will Smith) about starring in the film.   

“When [director] Reggie Hudlin and New Line Cinema were pursuing us to the first House Party, at the time we didn’t know they were alternately pursuing Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince,” he said exclusively to HipHopDX. “We did not know that. We found that out later on. We found out that they were trying to do it with Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince first, but there was some legal disconnect with New Line Cinema because of the Freddy Kruger movies and their record ‘Nightmare On My Street.’”

New Line Cinema sued Jive/RCA in 1989 because DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince’s song “Nightmare On My Street” infringed on the company’s copyright for Nightmare On Elm Street. Jazzy Jeff explained to DX in a separate conversation (April 2) that even though the studio sued the group, forcing them to destroy the video for the song, they still pitched Jeff and Will Smith starring roles in House Party.

“Urban legend has it that they passed or it didn’t work out for them and we got it,” Kid continued. “Which was cool. That helped us. But then they got television stuff that we would’ve liked to have as well. Those are our homeboys. There’s a lot of truth in it, if that answers your question to your satisfaction. Guess what? There’s always these Hollywood stories about people who turn roles down and it didn’t happen. It’s funny. It’s interesting. Like, ‘Oh my god, can you imagine Jazzy Jeff and Will Smith in House Party?’ Of course you could. They would’ve been great. Not as great as Kid-N-Play, but they would’ve been great. [Laughs] They’re from Philly, we’re from New York. We’ve done a zillion shows with those guys. They’re the homies.”

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.35114/title.christopher-kid-reid-dj-jazzy-jeff-will-smith-wouldve-been-great-in-house-party

great article man, thanks for sharing!

If the movie were done with DJ Jazzy Jeff + Fresh Prince, it would be a totally different movie.  I feel that the guys in the those roles would really control the vibe of the film.  Even with a similar script and cast, JJ+FP House Party would have been very different from KNP's.

House Party is a classic and I can't imagine it without Kid 'N Play, but I always wonder "what if."